• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think so? 100mm/min is agonizingly slow. Outlining the letters was a 2'ish minute burn. I had set it to fill the letter but that was going to be a 90 min burn. That's why I made the little square to see what would happen.
FWIW I'm on the verge of buying a 40w CO2 laser :D
Great start I think.
How big are the letters? Show us a 12 point and a 9 point font say Times and Arial? On clean metal? with something in the picture for scale like a pen. ? I know quite demanding I am. :) And can you do colours (well just white) like Timm Rosenthal's laser?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Great start I think.
How big are the letters? Show us a 12 point and a 9 point font say Times and Arial? On clean metal? with something in the picture for scale like a pen. ? I know quite demanding I am. :) And can you do colours (well just white) like Timm Rosenthal's laser?
The Lightburn software will use any fonts installed on your computer.
The 'H' is .75" tall but the size is entirely controllable. It's not point size but size in mm or in depending how you config the software. I can set the height, and horizontal spacing (kerning) and vertical spacing (line spacing).

For example, if I had a switch panel to label and each switch was in a .75" square I could size the switch name to be exactly .75" long. Choices would have to be made if name were too long to be legible when shrunk down to .75"
Eg. ON would be fine above a .75" square but Flux Capacitor might be illegible when shrunk to .75" so maybe it would have to be on two lines or capacitor changed to Cap
I can make it darker using Cermark (spendy stuff) but if I engrave something anodized or coated it will basically removed the coating and discolour the surface below.
I have read that molybdenum disulfide powder mixed with dish soap into a thinish paste will leave a nice mark on bare steel.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I was googling about the Cermark spray.(it’s a coating to enhance and speed up laser engraving) I see it is expensive $100 ish for a small spray can. That got me googling alternatives and this interesting idea of using tape surfaced. Kapton tape. Put it on, laser it, take it off. An idea for you to try David.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The Veritas logo turned out good David. So with more dither it would look better.?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was googling about the Cermark spray.(it’s a coating to enhance and speed up laser engraving) I see it is expensive $100 ish for a small spray can. That got me googling alternatives and this interesting idea of using tape surfaced. Kapton tape. Put it on, laser it, take it off. An idea for you to try David.

Cool, thanks John!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Loads of potential to engrave anodised aluminum, and if you use a masking film that you laser away you can then use traditional marking methods on all sorts of other metals.

so how about cutting 4 mm plywood ?
Here's 3mm ply. First quick attempt at a box. I didn't get the kerf allowance quite right or cut settings dialed in.
I didn't have a honeycomb bed yet hence all the smoke stains. I'll be remaking this.
326214485_857754318776700_2181576499647413799_n.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Here's 3mm ply. First quick attempt at a box. I didn't get the kerf allowance quite right or cut settings dialed in.
I didn't have a honeycomb bed yet hence all the smoke stains. I'll be remaking this.
View attachment 29676

Okay I have to get me one before the end of 2023. I can make so good use of one just for model making. And plaque making.

Interested in a paying gig? I have a model I want plywood and balsa parts cut for.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Okay I have to get me one before the end of 2023. I can make so good use of one just for model making. And plaque making.

Interested in a paying gig? I have a model I want plywood and balsa parts cut for.
It's an amazing tool. I'm definitely getting a CO2!
How big are the parts?