• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
My buddy bought a smallish hobby laser with the intent of cutting modest RC parts from balsa & thin ply. It wasn't even done a small test job when the smoke detectors were going off. Shortly thereafter, SWMBO was going off. So he is similarly working on some kind of capture box & vent arrangement. Its been a while since I was wandering around a commercial laser shop but guessing them must have some high volume hoods like welders shops?
I consulted for a makerspace that was concerned about the health risks to users of their space and more specifically the potential liability they faced and risk mitigation for their non-profit and the directors.

In my research at the time I found several studies related to commercial woodworking and metal working shops, but more specifically an MIT study from 2015 of the emerging health and safety issues of makerspaces.

That study did not find any risk of explosion from laser particulates so I doubt an explosion proof fan is required, unless flammable vapours are also found in the space from other sources. The real danger of particulates and gasses from laser cutter are the potential negative health impacts, which is why most commercial CO2 cutters are designed with internal fans for connection to venting systems to the outdoors.

I would not use a laser of any sort without fume extraction. Proven fume extraction. I know this may seem a little hypocritical for a former cigar smoker to say

"The containment and removal of laser-generated air contaminants is critical, even for small compact laser cutters. True local exhaust ventilation that meets good engineering practices [19] and ultimately discharges outdoors is the most reliable, effective, and safe method for handling potentially hazardous airborne contaminants. These systems require a thimble-style connection to the laser cutter exhaust port (to avoid back-pressures or excessive suction), ductwork, a fan, and discharge from a high point on the building to ensure good mixing and avoid re-entrainment indoors. Unfortunately, new ventilation systems of this type are generally expensive, and even connecting to an existing system can be costly."

I also mask up when wood working and have dust extraction system...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good info. My explosion proof motor comment was a different home shop environment, not the laser cutting (post #740, spraying paint which always included somewhat volatile reducer).

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Good info. My explosion proof motor comment was a different home shop environment, not the laser cutting (post #740, spraying paint which always included somewhat volatile reducer).
Oh yeah, both spray painting and dust extraction should have explosion proof motors.

I had a chemistry prof that took us out into a quarry and did experiment with ground charcoal, a candle and a pig of compressed air. Similar to what you can do with a can of spray paint and a bic lighter

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My buddy bought a smallish hobby laser with the intent of cutting modest RC parts from balsa & thin ply. It wasn't even done a small test job when the smoke detectors were going off. Shortly thereafter, SWMBO was going off. So he is similarly working on some kind of capture box & vent arrangement. Its been a while since I was wandering around a commercial laser shop but guessing them must have some high volume hoods like welders shops?
Almost every hobby laser and absolutely every CO2 or fiber laser I've seen has been in an enclosure vented to the outdoors. I don't think a fume hood will really cut it plus the enclosure protects folks from accidental beam exposure.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I think it is more what you are cutting or the set and forget mentality. The Makerspace in Calgary bought theirs cheap after it had a fire in it.
How long do the lens last on these?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Just watched a program last night where the shop used a laser cutter to re-create the patent & Rampant Colt trademark roll stamp on an 1800's Colt pistol that will be worth many thousands of dollars. They took a photo of the old roll stamp, entered it into the machine computer & turned it on. The machine itself was about the size of a dish washer and when in operation it was totally closed up.
The finished product was Identical to the old roll stamp.....job opportunity for you David!! One of the banes of gunsmiths is to perfectly align # stampings for new gun barrels that they install. The boys can do a perfect job of chambering & tapering with a lathe but very seldom do they avoid botching the lettering or #ring.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The boys can do a perfect job of chambering & tapering with a lathe but very seldom do they avoid botching the lettering or #ring.

I'll say Amen to that! It takes another kind of talent to do the marking properly. Ask me how I know!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Where are the CNC files coming from to do that sort of thing?
It's a bit of a different workflow from what I'm used to. It's a piece of artwork (copyright free in this case) that gets converted to an .svg file by the design and laser control software (Lightburn) which also writes the G-code and controls the laser to burn the image.
If I were to do this on the router, the design software (Vectric VCarve) would do the artwork conversion and create the toolpaths and create the G-code which is then run by the CNC control software (UCCNC)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It's a bit of a different workflow from what I'm used to. It's a piece of artwork (copyright free in this case) that gets converted to an .svg file by the design and laser control software (Lightburn) which also writes the G-code and controls the laser to burn the image.
If I were to do this on the router, the design software (Vectric VCarve) would do the artwork conversion and create the toolpaths and create the G-code which is then run by the CNC control software (UCCNC)

Is the original scanned some how?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That's cool!
Is that a single pass? If you hit it again will the print darken more?
I think so? 100mm/min is agonizingly slow. Outlining the letters was a 2'ish minute burn. I had set it to fill the letter but that was going to be a 90 min burn. That's why I made the little square to see what would happen.
FWIW I'm on the verge of buying a 40w CO2 laser :D

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Are you sure you don't want to go with 50w or 60w or,,,,,,,, LOL
I would but the power level defines the length of the CO2 tube.
In addition to the length of the tube there is room required for the mirrors which bounce the beam around.
40w laser tube is about 700mm long in a machine footprint of 32" long
60w = 1000mm tube in a machine footprint of about 48" long.
And of course bigger wattage = bigger price tag.