DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Quite the story. Guy is almost as stupid as I was. What the heck was he thinking out there alone with nobody knowing where you are......

15 years ago or so I bought a Find Me Spot which is a Satelite radio based location service that you can use to get help no matter where you are. A very useful thing for those who like to wander around in the great outdoors alone.

I've never needed to use it again, but I carry it with me even when I have cell coverage. it was a scary event I never want to repeat.

I wonder if they have something you can use to detect a falling wood gouge before it hits....

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well the laser arrived last week and so today I built the enclosure. I just need some orange acrylic for the window.
It's 26" wide by 24" deep with a lid that's double-hinged; one at the back and at the halfway point.
Next I need to drill the vent in the back for the exhaust fan.
enclosure_1.jpg
enclosure_2.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m getting excited to see some cutting and engraving.
Me too!
The exhaust port and blower are in now.
Waiting on the charcoal canister filter which should be here tomorrow. Honeycomb bed arrives Wednesday. Then to make some boxes!

I do have a Weller filter unit that would do it for you but in all seriousness you wouldn't want to pay the price. I got it as a trade upgrade and even then I paid an arm and leg. The filters alone are stupid expensive.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I do have a Weller filter unit that would do it for you but in all seriousness you wouldn't want to pay the price. I got it as a trade upgrade and even then I paid an arm and leg. The filters alone are stupid expensive.
Five minutes with a hole saw and I'm back in business venting to the great outdoors!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
First engraving off the laser.
This is a 1700's era printing ornament used on book printing. My dear wife teaches book history (among other subjects) at university and this is one of her favourite ornaments.
325395388_871360307345538_2815102522090752665_n.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And your neighbor hasn't called 911 with a suspicious smoky odor - you're in laser business!

(Bit of an inside joke with me. My buddy used to spray his models with a makeshift vent booth. A bank of cheapo furnace filters in front of a fan sucking through a dryer hose, venting out a hole in his garage. His fence was an interesting blend of permanent fluorescent colors. His neighbor's house... did not come up in discussion LOL)

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
And your neighbor hasn't called 911 with a suspicious smoky odor - you're in laser business!

(Bit of an inside joke with me. My buddy used to spray his models with a makeshift vent booth. A bank of cheapo furnace filters in front of a fan sucking through a dryer hose, venting out a hole in his garage. His fence was an interesting blend of permanent fluorescent colors. His neighbor's house... did not come up in discussion LOL)
Sometimes you can be surprised by your artistic side !!
I believe they call it ‘impressionism’. LOL

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My buddy bought a smallish hobby laser with the intent of cutting modest RC parts from balsa & thin ply. It wasn't even done a small test job when the smoke detectors were going off. Shortly thereafter, SWMBO was going off. So he is similarly working on some kind of capture box & vent arrangement. Its been a while since I was wandering around a commercial laser shop but guessing them must have some high volume hoods like welders shops?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
.. furnace filters in front of a fan sucking through a dryer hose
Actually what troubled me more was the cheapo Walmart fan. Guessing that was not the explosion proof motor model LOL. Now you have all that fine mist volatile hydrocarbon overspray & flammable particulate matter flowing over the windings & brushes. Just one little spark and....

1673553519744.png