DavidR8's shop shenanigans

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I had my first turning injury yesterday.
I was getting set to sharpen my bowl gouge and I tucked it under my arm to slide the Vari-jig on. It slipped out and landed sharp end down on my leather shoe, slicing clear through the leather leaving a clean U-shaped hole and making a wicked gash on first metatarsal of my right foot.
Four hours in the ER and six stitches later.
Be careful out there folks!
That's a sharp edge!! And you were going to make it sharper?!!

@David_R8 soccer playing reactions are not good with with sharp falling objects. :rolleyes:

Hope you added some ground wire in your collection system. Very important. High velocity dust build static in PVC ducting very quickly. At some point it discharges, in some case arc's. Depending on where becomes the issue.

Dust explosions are bad, very very bad.

As a simple denonstration take a soda straw filled 1/4 full with dust and over an open flame outside blow it over the flame ( works better if its dark outside, it will scare the c$&p out of you). It will demonstrate how big dust explosions can be and as a why you want good grounding. Remember all you are using is a teaspoon of dust. Word of warning don't inhale.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
No steel toed boots? First rule of metal shops (loosely applies to wood shops): everything you touch will be some combination of heavy, hot, or sharp

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I was getting set to sharpen my bowl gouge and I tucked it under my arm to slide the Vari-jig on. It slipped out and landed sharp end down on my leather shoe, slicing clear through the leather leaving a clean U-shaped hole and making a wicked gash on first metatarsal of my right foot.
wow... something I never worried about before but will think of all the time when I sharpen lathe tools now.

Good thing it was not an old 48" stuart batty handle with the taper lock system and a big bowl gouge or you may have lost your big toe... then forever be falling over on your face. :eek:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
@David_R8 soccer playing reactions are not good with with sharp falling objects. :rolleyes:

Hope you added some ground wire in your collection system. Very important. High velocity dust build static in PVC ducting very quickly. At some point it discharges, in some case arc's. Depending on where becomes the issue.

Dust explosions are bad, very very bad.

As a simple denonstration take a soda straw filled 1/4 full with dust and over an open flame outside blow it over the flame ( works better if its dark outside, it will scare the c$&p out of you). It will demonstrate how big dust explosions can be and as a why you want good grounding. Remember all you are using is a teaspoon of dust. Word of warning don't inhale.
Good post D, I've seen complete grain elevators and feed mills turn into bombs over static spark, natural gas explosion dont hold a candle to a dust detonation.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
wow... something I never worried about before but will think of all the time when I sharpen lathe tools now.

Good thing it was not an old 48" stuart batty handle with the taper lock system and a big bowl gouge or you may have lost your big toe... then forever be falling over on your face. :eek:
It did have my vari-grind jig on it which added a few ounces. I was actually kinda shocked that it went clean through a leather shoe.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Imagine if you had already sharpened the gouge…. no telling how far into your foot it would have gone then…

Be safe out there folks - danger is lurking everywhere and strikes when you least expect it.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
It did have my vari-grind jig on it which added a few ounces. I was actually kinda shocked that it went clean through a leather shoe.
I am too...

I have a 12" stuart batty handle that has 2.5 lbs of shot to dampen vibrations. I had plans to make several more now that his tools are defunct, but maybe I'll skip the addition of the shot

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Feet are terrible targets...

About 20 years ago, I was deer hunting on Manitoulin Island. One night had no moon and was pitch black. Perfect for looking at the stars. There is no light pollution to speak of on the island. I grabbed my binoculars and drove out by myself to the West end where the rock flats stretch out into the lake for a mile. You can see the stars from horizon to horizon. On the walk out onto the flats I crossed a rock bridge over a crevass. It broke and I fell into the crack and the broken rock fell in with me pinning my leg and foot. I was there for hours with no way to call for help and nobody even knowing where I was. Stupid stupid stupid.

I figured I might have to cut my foot off. I even spent some time planning how to do it. But that would be a last resort.

After I got my witts together, I managed to further break one of the rock pieces to make a lever, and after many attempts I got my foot free. As soon as I got it out it started throbbing and bleeding like crazy. My boot turned bright red.

I hobbled back to the truck and then drove back to the cabin using only my left foot. One of the other guys took me to the nearest hospital in Mindemoya.

The bones in my middle toe were smashed. The Doc said she could amputate it or try to fix it. She advocated the latter saying "what do you have to lose for trying?" I agreed. She sewed it up, stretched it out, smooshed it together with her fingers like a collet, pushed it back into place, and made a foot & toe cast. Then she told me to head to emergency again at the slightest sign of an infection. When I got home, I saw a bone surgeon. He looked at the x-rays and said there was no hope for it and it would be best if he amputated it. But since it wasn't infected, he also said there was no rush. A month later I was walking on it, and today my right foot is just a bit longer than it was. My toe even bends a bit.

What did I learn? Never go far from civilization without telling someone where you went and don't be in a rush to cut off any body parts earlier than needed.

Everyone should live long enough to watch a big hairy toe get colletized....... ;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Feet are terrible targets...

About 20 years ago, I was deer hunting on Manitoulin Island. One night had no moon and was pitch black. Perfect for looking at the stars. There is no light pollution to speak of on the island. I grabbed my binoculars and drove out by myself to the West end where the rock flats stretch out into the lake for a mile. You can see the stars from horizon to horizon. On the walk out onto the flats I crossed a rock bridge over a crevass. It broke and I fell into the crack and the broken rock fell in with me pinning my leg and foot. I was there for hours with no way to call for help and nobody even knowing where I was. Stupid stupid stupid.

I figured I might have to cut my foot off. I even spent some time planning how to do it. But that would be a last resort.

After I got my witts together, I managed to further break one of the rock pieces to make a lever, and after many attempts I got my foot free. As soon as I got it out it started throbbing and bleeding like crazy. My boot turned bright red.

I hobbled back to the truck and then drove back to the cabin using only my left foot. One of the other guys took me to the nearest hospital in Mindemoya.

The bones in my middle toe were smashed. The Doc said she could amputate it or try to fix it. She advocated the latter saying "what do you have to lose for trying?" I agreed. She sewed it up, stretched it out, smooshed it together with her fingers like a collet, pushed it back into place, and made a foot & toe cast. Then she told me to head to emergency again at the slightest sign of an infection. When I got home, I saw a bone surgeon. He looked at the x-rays and said there was no hope for it and it would be best if he amputated it. But since it wasn't infected, he also said there was no rush. A month later I was walking on it, and today my right foot is just a bit longer than it was. My toe even bends a bit.

What did I learn? Never go far from civilization without telling someone where you went and don't be in a rush to cut off any body parts earlier than needed.

Everyone should live long enough to watch a big hairy toe get colletized....... ;)
Jeepers, that sounds truly terrifying.
Wasn't there a movie like that? Some dude stuck in a canyon. Eventually sawed of some body part to get free.