DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@DavidR8 The photo on the Amazon.ca site shows the connectors for what I am guessing is flared soft copper tube? The Derale web site says the inlet and outlet are -8AN size which I believe is 1/2" copper.
1712877637981.png

You have some sort of black coupler first and then the brass one down to 3/8" which I'm guessing is a compression fitting? Did the cooler come with the shiny black coupler or did you have one or order one from somewhere?

1712877567309.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@DavidR8 The photo on the Amazon.ca site shows the connectors for what I am guessing is flared soft copper tube? The Derale web site says the inlet and outlet are -8AN size which I believe is 1/2" copper.
View attachment 46580

You have some sort of black coupler first and then the brass one down to 3/8" which I'm guessing is a compression fitting? Did the cooler come with the shiny black coupler or did you have one or order one from somewhere?

View attachment 46578
These are the AN8 to 3/8 Male NPT fittings

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I likely have a 1/2" flaring nut
It's quite possible I removed the cone shaped tool that goes on the end of the screw to make it into a small gear puller. Then lost that part.
As long as I know the angle it's easy to make. Should really have that or it makes the rest useless.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
For AN fittings it's 37 degrees, 45 for SAE.
I can never keep track of included angle or not. Is it 37 degrees from the center line (74 across) or 37 degrees across. Don't know which one means included angle...

Edit: Ah! found a diagram.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I think I got the angle wrong. Now looking at the earlier photo I think I want the compound set to the 37 degree and not the 53 degree angle. It's like too pointy?

1712890641953.png

But it's easier to put it back in the 7/8" 5C collet and change the angle so it's less. Not as much to remove. And the 3T arbor press makes quick work of flaring a short piece.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think the 53 degree angle works better as far as matching the taper on the die portion. And the flange on the copper came out alright. Especially after I made sure there wasn't any ridge.
View attachment 46596
I'll still need to shorten this piece so I can fit it in the compression tool since not everything will fit in the 3T press.
Nicely done sir!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks. Now I need to head out to Rona or Home Depot and pick up a couple of the nuts that pull the tube up against the fitting. What I have in my box of stuff doesn't look like it fits.
Yeah, I had none of those fittings either.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I had a look at the die I have and it looks 45 degrees.

Is Slegg still down the street from you?, they may have the fittings and save you some driving. PA has a hose shop on site that will possibly have any fittings needed as well.
If it's 45 degrees then it would be a total of 90 degrees across right? I measure the one I made at 74 degrees which is 2x 37 degrees for the -8AN. Hopefully someone stocks -8AN nuts. Also I can verify the actual angle on the cooling coils when they arrive. I might have time to pop in to Sleggs today but PA will have to wait until next week.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If it's 45 degrees then it would be a total of 90 degrees across right? I measure the one I made at 74 degrees which is 2x 37 degrees for the -8AN. Hopefully someone stocks -8AN nuts. Also I can verify the actual angle on the cooling coils when they arrive. I might have time to pop in to Sleggs today but PA will have to wait until next week.
AN fittings are common in automotive applications so Lordco may be worth a look.