• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Gathering up parts to make a post-compressor head air cooler to reduce the condensation going into my compressor tank.
16 pass transmission cooler from Derale, AN8 to 3/8 NPT and then compression fittings. Automatic drain water separator.
View attachment 46302
Be interesting to see how well this all works. I guess how often you have to drain tank?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Be interesting to see how well this all works. I guess how often you have to drain tank?
If I use my compressor a lot sandblasting I have to drain it at least every every few hours.
The results I've seen online show a really dramatic decrease in air temps. From perhaps 250F at the compressor head to 75F at the tank inlet with equally impressive moisture removal from the temp drop.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Picked up this 1x? and 8” disk sander today. 1hp.
I’m going to see if I can adapt my 2” belt wheels to it.
View attachment 46373
I've got one just like that! It was the very first tool I ever bought so I could make knifes (I used our farm shop that had the rest of the equipment). Yours looks like it has had the original motor replaced with something better. I replaced all the bearing on the pulleys a couple of years ago but other than that it's been trouble free. Not bad for 37 years!

Edit FYI it's a 1x42" belt on it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've got one just like that! It was the very first tool I ever bought so I could make knifes (I used our farm shop that had the rest of the equipment). Yours looks like it has had the original motor replaced with something better. I replaced all the bearing on the pulleys a couple of years ago but other than that it's been trouble free. Not bad for 37 years!
I’ve had a 2x42 sander in my project list for ages but it hasn’t percolated to the top yet so when I saw this I jumped on it.
I wondered if it was 42", thanks for that!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Finished the air cooler installation.
Pretty astonishing results.

After filling the tank from empty, my infrared thermometer measured 248 F at the head outlet and at the bottom outlet of the cooler it read 72 F.
Approximately a teaspoon of water came out of the air/water separator.
Darn pleased with that result.
IMG_1156.jpeg IMG_1157.jpeg IMG_1158.jpeg IMG_1159.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Damn! Now to keep up with the R8's I've got to do that too. Sigh. I'll put it on the list. #42
Pitter, patter ;)
In all seriousness, I highly recommend this project to anyone who has a large compressor.
Total cost was about $200. Could be done for less if a person can source a suitable radiator.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Where did you buy the cooling coil assembly.
You said "16 pass transmission cooler from Derale". Bought locally? Part #?