DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So I found this lonely fitting in a pipe fittings box. Measuring the angle it's exactly 90 degrees so this must be an SAE fitting.

1712963951369.png
I did take my protractor to Sleggs just to see what they had. Now I remember why I stopped going to Sleggs. No matter what I was building I also needed to go to Home Depot. They had zero fittings for flared tubing.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So I found this lonely fitting in a pipe fittings box. Measuring the angle it's exactly 90 degrees so this must be an SAE fitting.

View attachment 46610
I did take my protractor to Sleggs just to see what they had. Now I remember why I stopped going to Sleggs. No matter what I was building I also needed to go to Home Depot. They had zero fittings for flared tubing.
Sleggs is where I go for building materials but never hardware unless it’s fasteners.
All else is Home Depot, Lowe’s or Cdn Tire or specialty shop.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I think I'm going to have a real problem finding only the -8AN nuts for 1/2" copper tubing. A web search shows up tons of SAE parts but the only -8AN stuff is what @DavidR8 used. Or there are -8N adapters to flex hose like for transmission coolers with low pressure.

I think once the cooler arrives the first thing to do is measure the included angle and see if it's 90 degrees or 74 degrees. If it's 90 then no problem. If it's 74 degrees I may make my own nuts.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I'm going to have a real problem finding only the -8AN nuts for 1/2" copper tubing. A web search shows up tons of SAE parts but the only -8AN stuff is what @DavidR8 used. Or there are -8N adapters to flex hose like for transmission coolers with low pressure.

I think once the cooler arrives the first thing to do is measure the included angle and see if it's 90 degrees or 74 degrees. If it's 90 then no problem. If it's 74 degrees I may make my own nuts.
I used the 3/8" NPT version of this:

Then you just need a 1/2" female NPT to 1/2 copper compression fitting

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
True.
I used the 3/8" NPT version of this:
Then you just need a 1/2" female NPT to 1/2 copper compression fitting
I could go that route but I shouldn't need to right? Since I can flare the end of the copper tubing to match the radiator connector all I need is the nut to compress that flare against the -8AN fitting. So what I want is that nut and that seems to be a scarce item.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
True.

I could go that route but I shouldn't need to right? Since I can flare the end of the copper tubing to match the radiator connector all I need is the nut to compress that flare against the -8AN fitting. So what I want is that nut and that seems to be a scarce item.
Something like this?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Something seems to be going on in the fittings world. The hydraulic fittings place I loved in BC has gone belly up. So I've started making my own fittings.

Admittedly, my stuff is hydraulic but I doubt that a JIC or O-Boss fitting knows the difference.

Can't you make the 8AN you need?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Something seems to be going on in the fittings world. The hydraulic fittings place I loved in BC has gone belly up. So I've started making my own fittings.

Admittedly, my stuff is hydraulic but I doubt that a JIC or O-Boss fitting knows the difference.

Can't you make the 8AN you need?
Yes. I believe I could. But, at $6.59 each plus a few dollars shipping it's not worth the time at the moment. Way too many other things going on.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes. I believe I could. But, at $6.59 each plus a few dollars shipping it's not worth the time at the moment. Way too many other things going on.

I feel the exact same way. But in my case availability disappeared so I didn't feel like I had a choice.

If you can find what you need, I'd buy em too. But I think the game changes when you can't.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
These guys:

Can't find -8AN nuts. They do have brass nuts for compression fittings. That may work and at $1.09 each it's worth a try assuming the threads are correct. Their web page doesn't list that information.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Can't find -8AN nuts. They do have brass nuts for compression fittings. That may work and at $1.09 each it's worth a try assuming the threads are correct. Their web page doesn't list that information.
The radiator core has arrived! The fittings threads do measure at 16 TPI and the angle is indeed 74 degrees. So now to wait for the nuts to arrive. Meanwhile since I'll have to move the compressor out to install this in a way similar to @DavidR8 and while it's out away from the wall a perfect time to frame, insulate and cover that back wall.
Amazing how a simple project becomes 42 projects.