• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

You are absolutely right !... What a guy wants is the standard AD-9 Bendix air dryer. Pretty much every truck shop in north america has one on the shelf. If they don't, they might want to fire the parts managers...
I stock at my work, genuine Bendix (mostly for warranty) and a couple brands of off-shore.
The off shore ones are of course cheaply made, but if a guy isn't really diligent with maintenance, they're the preferred way to go.
Once the compressor starts passing oil, the air dryer is more or less kaput. Engine oil and dessicant don't mix very well.
But a few years back, Bendix introduced the Puragaurd flters, which trap oil, and keep it from getting into the tanks and plumbing.
The off shores we sell for less than 250 bucks. Average life span is about 2 years on the cartridge.
A true Bendix puragaurd cartridge is over 100. But the $$ spent there, saves your butt later on.
Ya got me thinking History...If anyone wants more details...let me know...I'll see what I can come up for a package setup
Is that cartridge part of the airdrier or is it upstream of it? If upstream, I might be interested in something like that. Planning some upgrades on my truck this winter, and that sounds like a good one.

You are absolutely right !... What a guy wants is the standard AD-9 Bendix air dryer. Pretty much every truck shop in north america has one on the shelf. If they don't, they might want to fire the parts managers...
I stock at my work, genuine Bendix (mostly for warranty) and a couple brands of off-shore.
The off shore ones are of course cheaply made, but if a guy isn't really diligent with maintenance, they're the preferred way to go.
Once the compressor starts passing oil, the air dryer is more or less kaput. Engine oil and dessicant don't mix very well.
But a few years back, Bendix introduced the Puragaurd flters, which trap oil, and keep it from getting into the tanks and plumbing.
The off shores we sell for less than 250 bucks. Average life span is about 2 years on the cartridge.
A true Bendix puragaurd cartridge is over 100. But the $$ spent there, saves your butt later on.
Ya got me thinking History...If anyone wants more details...let me know...I'll see what I can come up for a package setup
I’m interested. Would this be for between the pump and the tank?

On trucks they are situated between the source & storage tanks so the moisture is removed before contaminating the tanks..

Before these driers were a thing we could drain a litre of water from a 4 tank system after each days work in a high moisture environment. after their invention you could work a week without getting a drip out of your tanks. It was easy to tell when your desicant was saturated to its limit when you started getting water in your tanks.

Last edited:
Is that cartridge part of the airdrier or is it upstream of it? If upstream, I might be interested in something like that. Planning some upgrades on my truck this winter, and that sounds like a good one.
Cartridge is inside the assembly. if you search for Bendix AD-9 or AD9...there's a lot of coverage online.
The part #'s I can tell you we stock are the 100685 and 065225.
Spatially, the unit takes up about 1.5 cubic feet, if my memory and eyecrometer are working together well enough...
There is a spin-on filter air dryer as well. But those filters are more money.
And of course, the air dryer assembly itself is close to double the cost...

Note the blowoff valve at the bottom of each of David's vertical loops.
They are a requirement to drain the moisture collected, generally for a good system the first loop has a larger collection leg, decreasing for each leg down the system. Ideally by the time you hit the last leg no water drains indicating dry (or almost dry air) requiring little intervention downstream.

i haven’t tried that yet I bought the dual voltage one for my son for Xmas 2 maybe 3 years ago but alas another gift in storage along with various paints.
What did you use to bake it in the traditional toaster oven?

i haven’t tried that yet I bought the dual voltage one for my son for Xmas 2 maybe 3 years ago but alas another gift in storage along with various paints.
What did you use to bake it in the traditional toaster oven?
I just hung it on the rack in the toaster oven using the wire that I used to hang it for coating.
Preheated at 450 for ten minutes then cured it for 12 minutes and let it cool in the oven.

I really hope I don’t have to tear it apart to replace the bearings.
My Gingery produces those types of vibration markings. Now I'm using bushings but also have COTS inc 4 step pulleys which aren't known for being round.

Add to that the poor design of the ways support casting which allows twist I've never taken the time to get rid of those markings. Too many things to try and too many projects.

Plus the South Bend doesn't do that.

IIRC, you tightened up the bearings. It's possible they are now too tight. When I got my mill I was supposed to run it at different speeds for quite some time to 'seat' in the bearings. Because you had everything apart and not necessarily back in the exact same spot it's possible that the bearings are no longer seating which is why you got the chatter. Tightening it up got rid of the chatter but that's now changed to vibration?

Just thinking out loud here.

Back