• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Yup something like that :)
The architect showed up plans for a 5000 sq ft house with an attached carriage house. My bride and I almost simultaneously said "chop the house part off of that and we'll take it. It was perfect. Enclosed outside stair case, shed dormers, in-suite laundry, full bath etc. Very nice.
One thing we're likely to do is slope the driveway down so that we can gain 12-15" of elevation as we're going to be pushing the 6.5m height restriction.

Yup something like that :)
The architect showed up plans for a 5000 sq ft house with an attached carriage house. My bride and I almost simultaneously said "chop the house part off of that and we'll take it. It was perfect. Enclosed outside stair case, shed dormers, in-suite laundry, full bath etc. Very nice.
One thing we're likely to do is slope the driveway down so that we can gain 12-15" of elevation as we're going to be pushing the 6.5m height restriction.
I'm still trying to remember where you would put it. I think taking out those stairs you rebuilt wouldn't give it enough room.

I'm still trying to remember where you would put it. I think taking out those stairs you rebuilt wouldn't give it enough room.
The rules for garden suites require 4m separation between the house and the suite so I'll gain approximately four ft (sorry to mix measurement systems) between the house and the new building. We have the space in front of the existing garage to go at max, 36 ft long. The current space is ~20x20.
I was originally thinking about ~20 wide x 30 deep but we we talked about where to put the motos and decided to see what max depth would look like so the bikes can be parked inside without sacrificing a lot of interior space. The driveway may actually come up alongside the garage so that we have parking for us and future tenants.
Oh and we found out that a) we have to install at least one car charging port and b) that the overhead power lines for the neighbours on either side of us may be doing something called aerial trespassing because they originate on the pole in front of our house and cross our property. As soon as the builder saw this on Google Maps he was very surprised that Hydro did this.

Spent the day in and out of the shop.
Met @Tharm in the morning so he could see the Clausing. I think it's going to a good home :)
Picked up a bunch of copper tube and fitting to make an air cooler for the compressor. Pics to come.
Picked up a pair of brand new Miller TIG gloves for $30.
Then met @cjmac who graciously gave a tour of his Highlands property and provided me with a nice chunk of 1/2" 6061 for a mill palette.
All in all, a good day :)

Picked up a bunch of copper tube and fitting to make an air cooler for the compressor. Pics to come.
All in all, a good day :)
I have the same thing in service in my shop! Fairly certain I have the assembly too close to the compressor. Still get some moisture out of the tank when the auto drainer does it's thing. What distance are you spacing yours out at Dave?

I have the same thing in service in my shop! Fairly certain I have the assembly too close to the compressor. Still get some moisture out of the tank when the auto drainer does it's thing. What distance are you spacing yours out at Dave?
I don’t expect it to remove any moisture from getting into the tank because it’s installed with a 6 ft whip from the tank outlet.
A pre cooler would be a cool thing but at this point I just need dry air to my tools and plasma cutter.

Last edited:
Back