• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Ya know...most of us are using VFD's to power our motors. You can have the VFD display current. So keep taking deeper cuts or faster feeds and watch the current usage increase. Keep going more until it approaches, say 80% of your FLA. (or whatever you feel comfortable with.)

I snugged up the bearing till the spindle was too tight to move by hand. Backed them off till it would turn.
Max depth of cut without chatter in aluminum is .005 :(
My South Bend would do .060 in 12L14 no problem.

After all of this work I am not a happy camper.

I snugged up the bearing till the spindle was too tight to move by hand. Backed them off till it would turn.
My South Bend would do .060 in 12L14 no problem.

After all of this work I am not a happy camper.
Are you sure it's the spindle?

Lots of things contribute to chatter David. How solid are all the parts of the toolpost? What is your tool stick out? What is your part stick out? Is the head tightened down? Is the lathe bolted down. What are you turning and how? Etc etc etc. Go slow and steady and eliminate variables one at a time. You will find it.

Are you sure it's the spindle?
I'm almost 100% sure it is.
Lots of things contribute to chatter David. How solid are all the parts of the toolpost? What is your tool stick out? What is your part stick out? Is the head tightened down? Is the lathe bolted down. What are you turning and how? Etc etc etc. Go slow and steady and eliminate variables one at a time. You will find it.
2" diameter aluminum, 2" stickout past the chuck.
Toolpost is rock solid. 1/2" shank tool, TCMT insert. maybe 3/4" stickout
Compound gib locked, cross slide gib locked.
Lathe is bolted to the stand, there is no rocking or movement in the stand.

I'm almost 100% sure it is.

2" diameter aluminum, 2" stickout past the chuck.
Toolpost is rock solid. 1/2" shank tool, TCMT insert. maybe 3/4" stickout
Compound gib locked, cross slide gib locked.
Lathe is bolted to the stand, there is no rocking or movement in the stand.
tool height?

Try a different tool.
Tried that too. HSS is basically the same.
It's acting exactly like my Clausing did when I first got it. The headstock bearings were way loose and it chattered like crazy on even the lightest of cuts.
Snugged them up and all the chatter went away.

Tried that too. HSS is basically the same.
wow. I can take .100 DOC in aluminum, until the motor stalls, but no chatter.

Put on the face plate and check axial and radial runout. Something isn't making sense to me.
Another check is to chuck up a piece of HRS, say 1.5" and put pressure on the bearings in all 4 directions and check for one direction being soft.

Lastly, check the seating of the headstock, and that the hold down bolts holding the headstock to the ways are very tight. 70% of yield tight. If they are at all not snug enough, you will get a lot of problems, including this one.

That's all I can think of right now.

I suppose you could try putting your hand on the headstock near the bearing and on the tool and feel which one is vibrating the most.

Same with headstock and bed. Tool and tool holder
Etc etc

Any chance you have an old style variable timing light? You can use that to watch vibrations. Chatter is a vibration. Need to find out what is vibrating.

I suppose you could try putting your hand on the headstock near the bearing and on the tool and feel which one is vibrating the most.

Same with headstock and bed. Tool and tool holder
Etc etc

Any chance you have an old style variable timing light? You can use that to watch vibrations. Chatter is a vibration. Need to find out what is vibrating.
I do have one as a matter of fact.

wow. I can take .100 DOC in aluminum, until the motor stalls, but no chatter.

Put on the face plate and check axial and radial runout. Something isn't making sense to me.
Another check is to chuck up a piece of HRS, say 1.5" and put pressure on the bearings in all 4 directions and check for one direction being soft.

Lastly, check the seating of the headstock, and that the hold down bolts holding the headstock to the ways are very tight. 70% of yield tight. If they are at all not snug enough, you will get a lot of problems, including this one.

That's all I can think of right now.
Thanks John.
I’ll have a look at those things tomorrow.
Trying not to assume the worst at the moment.

Back