• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

I have an MT3 center that I use in my SB Lathe bore adapter. Although it doens't need it the tip is carbide. You are welcome to borrow it if you want or I suspect KMS likely has one in stock.

This is a piece 99mm in diameter. RPM 280. 0.0085" per turn feed rate. And a 0.010 depth of cut. HSS tool bit with minimal radius. On the Gingery Lathe. As you can see the chuck and the work sticks way out. I don't get chatter but a lot of flex.

Turning99mmAl.jpg

With a carbide tip and 0.010" depth and 0.0085" per turn the surface is rough but no chatter. And a few spring passes at 0.003" per pass it's a pretty nice surface given the quality of the lathe. WD40 to prevent metal gluing to the tip. So it doesn't make sense that you'd be getting chatter. Something odd is going on.

I had another go at adjusting the bearings. And tightened the belts.
I did as John (@Dabbler) suggested, stuck a piece of round bar in the chuck, 12" long. I put as much pressure as I could manage and saw about .005"-.007" of deflection. The manual is a bit vague on how to measure this but it says between .002" and .004".
So I tapped the locknut around couple of degrees and kept checking the deflection till I got down to .003"

I chucked my 2" aluminum round back up and did a .020" cut under power feed. No chatter.
I tried a .050 cut, again with power feed. No chatter.
Feeling optimistic I dialed in a full .100" depth of cut. Power feed and no chatter.

Thanks for sticking with me!

Here's the result.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Checking your bearing temps is a good idea. After 20 minutes of running at high speed you want 20 to 30 degrees over ambient. Less than that you want to tighten them up, more than that they may be too tight.

Here's a 0.300" doc for inspiration:
Screenshot_20231113_005602_YouTube.jpg

I dialed in a full .100" depth of cut. Power feed and no chatter.
Mine is direct reading also. Pity.... my other lathes are Diametric, not radius reading. I has caused mistakes in the past (and will in the future, too!)
Checking your bearing temps is a good idea.
Yes, this!!!

Way to go, @David_R8

I can manage .100 DOC on mine, but this is the limit of my belts, they keep slipping!

Mine is direct reading also. Pity.... my other lathes are Diametric, not radius reading. I has caused mistakes in the past (and will in the future, too!)

Yes, this!!!

Way to go, @David_R8

I can manage .100 DOC on mine, but this is the limit of my belts, they keep slipping!
Thanks John. I can sleep easy tonight. As you might imagine I was a tad annoyed and frustrated.
My South Bend had indirect dials which was a real treat for a ultra newbie.
I'm sure I'll get used to these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231109_142417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231109_142417_Chrome.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@YYCHM I was curious so I checked with an indicator. The dials are direct reading. A movement of .001 on the dial moves the cross slide .001. So my .100 DOC was really that deep.

Boy, quite the Roller Coaster Ride for all of us! You especially, but some of us have gone from sympathy and fear to jealousy in just a few hours.

I hate that diameter / radius readout crap too. I can handle the radius to diameter conversion just fine without even thinking, but the other way around just seems un-natural and wrong! I confess it has bitten me a few times too.

....... it's not where, it's when, like yesterday, before someone changes the rules on you. :cool:
So, when you get this grand new shop and join the ranks of the hoyty toyty elites, try not to forget your old friends here on the forum....:rolleyes:
Now to be honest it’s my wife who’s dictating the size.
She wants me to have the shop of my dreams. And the extra floor space sure will make for a nice suite

Back