• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Silly question, but I'm curious. Is there a belt tensioner in there? Doesn't look like there is any room for that.
Yes there is tension adjustment.
On the right hand side of the counter shaft there’s a round piece with a cap screw coming out of it. That’s a cam that can be rotated to adjust belt tension. The lever on the outside of the headstock moves a piece that the cam rides on. When the lever is pulled forward the belt tension is released, pushed back and it tightens the belt to spin the pulley.

Super congrats time!!

I hear a weeble-wobble that mine doesn't have. I don't think it is critical, mind you, but it sounds like some form of belt noise. Is the alignment 100%, for instance?...

Super congrats time!!

I hear a weeble-wobble that mine doesn't have. I don't think it is critical, mind you, but it sounds like some form of belt noise. Is the alignment 100%, for instance?...
Thanks John. Couldn’t have done it without your and the rest of the gang’s help!

It’s a bit noisy but I think it’s the belts. I noticed that the counter shaft pulley has a slight wobble so that may be the noise. Hard to isolate it.
The forward gears are noisy and when I rotate the spindle by hand in gear there’s a minor catch at one point in the rotation of the gears. Nothing at all in neutral.
I may have to pull them out and deburr them ☹️

Last edited:
Overall a very productive day.
Aside from getting the lathe operational I picked up the compressor, basically a brand new Sanborn 60 gallon. Pulled the plug from the bottom and rinsed out any crud that was inside and then hooked up my 100 cfm exhaust blower to the outlet. I'll let it run overnight before I replace the plug. Also installed a drain extension so I don't have to crawl under the tank to drain it.

Back