Daily Shop Improvement

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
4ABDDC6C-FB12-4851-823D-104E0A23F03E.jpeg 1BBD0EDA-5E19-4453-9282-7A86CE596A3B.jpeg
Got a bunch of junk cleaned up today, and got that bumper switched out. Still needs the lights wired in. Picked up a tailgate in Texas, it’s black now, the painter is gonna leave the Super Duty lettering black and repaint the rest of it to match.
Now I need to repaint my trailer hitch

Chicken lights

@Chicken lights What's wrong with the old tailgate and bumper? They look good to me?

Do you get your big horse in there???
The old tailgate is really heavy to close for some reason, plus it has that pull out step I never use, with a broken cap.
The bumper I just wanted to upgrade

Yes, the big horse fits in the shop but it’s a little tighter. But I can pull it in and close the door, cooler in summer and I can heat it in the winter

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ve a bit of a bum knee so I use mine but I do like the fold out rail and I notice a bit of rust in the bottom below the handle.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm finding the pull out step on my 150 the best thing since sliced bread. That and the stand up handle. I'd have to keep a milk crate handy in order to get into that sucker otherwise LOL.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just a couple of things today.
Used the cutoff part of the metal top to make a stock shelf.
dc453b7ad13af1fa59f9903de3dd3c15.jpg

And hung my clamps.
(Is not ideal and will likely be modded but I was tired of tripping over them.)
d25b81093ce7bd91d4994808c52566d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm finding the pull out step on my 150 the best thing since sliced bread. That and the stand up handle. I'd have to keep a milk crate handy in order to get into that sucker otherwise LOL.
Agree about the step and especially handle. I love my SuperDuty. It's my second one. But I made a bit of a mistake. If I were doing it all over again I'd do what my son did: he got an F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost and it sips gas. But I thought I'b be doing bigger projects, not smaller when I retired. So I bought another 250. Live and learn. I still the love the F250, including the tail step....except at the pump. Fortunately it's, 6.2L at least.

One thing about the tailsteps is that they are often no good at the landfill. You can't toss heavy stuff out when it is extended, and you can't manoeuvre around the side of an extended load as easier. Even though I like it, I also bought an AMP bedstep that goes on the side and fip out of the way. I find it useful at the landfill and for loads that extend over the tailgate.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here's my final shop frontier.

This wall of shelving, 8’ long x 2’ deep has to be emptied and removed so I can finish the electrical and sheet with plywood.
The pile of stuff is various small wood stock on the top left, on the left side, top right is all parts for my NT650 project, at the left under the top shelf is all YZ125 parts, next to that is various flotsam and jetsam,more flotsam with power tools on the lower right. Bins on the bottom hold electrical supplies and plumbing bit. Part of the contents of the box marked electrical is a huge box of drywall screws left by the P.O.
shelf_1.jpg

For context, this is where the shelves are relative to the wall I built to keep the motos at bay!
shelf_2.jpg

My plan is to run a new shelf (or maybe cabinets) along this long wall, turn the corner and onto the new dividing wall that I built. Thinking putting the shelf about 12 or 16 inches down from the roof joists.

Depending whether I go with 12” or 16” would allow me to stack either two or three layers of these boxes which are 5” tall, 12” deep and 7.5” wide. That would give me 18 linear feet of shelving.
boxes.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here's my final shop frontier.

This wall of shelving, 8’ long x 2’ deep has to be emptied and removed so I can finish the electrical and sheet with plywood.
The pile of stuff is various small wood stock on the top left, on the left side, top right is all parts for my NT650 project, at the left under the top shelf is all YZ125 parts, next to that is various flotsam and jetsam,more flotsam with power tools on the lower right. Bins on the bottom hold electrical supplies and plumbing bit. Part of the contents of the box marked electrical is a huge box of drywall screws left by the P.O.
View attachment 10823

For context, this is where the shelves are relative to the wall I built to keep the motos at bay!
View attachment 10824

My plan is to run a new shelf (or maybe cabinets) along this long wall, turn the corner and onto the new dividing wall that I built. Thinking putting the shelf about 12 or 16 inches down from the roof joists.

Depending whether I go with 12” or 16” would allow me to stack either two or three layers of these boxes which are 5” tall, 12” deep and 7.5” wide. That would give me 18 linear feet of shelving.
View attachment 10825
Very nice. Something to be proud of and enjoy.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here’s today’s before noon progress.
Unloaded the shelves. Now the floor is impassable but that’s temporary.
0d61b7e07a285ed806e5d67717c1bae4.jpg

184ba8d347648f4d40f4cf24173aae08.jpg

Dismantled the shelves recovering a hundred or so 1.5” deck screws in the process.
fb7e4a04d06ed8ff01e6fd4a2deba77c.jpg

a4dc17179c45085dc983bc5e54fc2d86.jpg

Peeled off the nasty Saran Wrap grade plastic and put up proper 6 mil poly.
e678b2b3be41439e27cedfc9ae2ec723.jpg

2fa15fbfc37972fad8aa89ccaf62c71b.jpg

I have to run a few outlets but I should be done by this time tomorrow.
Yahoo!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Turning the pages back several months I say David_R8's level of negentropy is something to be highly proud off. Bill

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Truth be told @Dabbler and @Dusty, I suffer a bit from ADD and so when my space is all cluttered I find it really hard to focus as I’m completely distracted by the chaos.
So tidy I must! :)

Chicken lights

Truth be told @Dabbler and @Dusty, I suffer a bit from ADD and so when my space is all cluttered I find it really hard to focus as I’m completely distracted by the chaos.
So tidy I must! :)

I find it to be a bit of both- it irritates me to no end to keep on top of shop inventory- nuts/bolts, pails of oil, aerosol sprays, hoses, hose clamps etc. But then when I start a job on the weekend I rarely have to scramble to run for parts. I think it’s worth the time spent tidying and organizing, it’s rewarding to have a calm space to work in

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I agree it is so nice to be able to find stuff. Organization has always been a very temporary thing for me. When I was on very strong ADHD meds, it was far better. But the side effects were bad on the big side. So i am organizing on the 'little bit every day' plan, and it is working, slowly.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
On my compressor I add a ball valve and the plug for safety. When I remove the plug I have all the time to put a funnel so I don't make mess.