Daily Shop Improvement

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Yup...Texas heat...3 of us helped tarp a couple loads in the mid-day heat, the yard manager offered the use of the employees shower afterwards...we discovered we couldn't dry off after the shower...too much sweating.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My kid brother tells the story of his first tour of working in Dubai (don't know how he did it, very light skinned red head). He was taping down some piping on a trailer for a rig move . H says he laid a roll of "red green duct tape" on the metal trailer frame rail for 15 minutes while he did something on the other side of the trailer, when he returned there was a small puddle of plastic with a ball of cord sitting in the middle.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The hottest place I've ever been was working in LV. Did a 6-week stint there in July building some telecom out by the race track. After we had a number of aerosol paint cans blow up beside the building and having to pay for the paint to be removed I made it a jobsite rule that no paint was left outside. Nor inside the Seacan...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was in Chicago during their worst heat wave in history. Ambient temperatures reached 110F, I distinctly remember walking into a mall where the reflection off the glass doors was unbearable. Inside it was 55 F, and that was plain uncomfortable.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Yup...Texas heat...3 of us helped tarp a couple loads in the mid-day heat, the yard manager offered the use of the employees shower afterwards...we discovered we couldn't dry off after the shower...too much sweating.
The last Texas load I brought back I loaded it early afternoon, then went back the next morning around 6:30-7:00 am to tarp. I didn’t have permits to run the first day anyway. I’m not tarping in that heat unless I have zero say in the matter

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I was in Chicago during their worst heat wave in history. Ambient temperatures reached 110F, I distinctly remember walking into a mall where the reflection off the glass doors was unbearable. Inside it was 55 F, and that was plain uncomfortable.

Was that the one where the planes couldn't take off and people were stuck for hours (days?) in parked aircraft?

Chicago has to be the most oppressive heat I have ever experienced and I lived in East Africa for 3 years.

Humidity has a lot to do with making it very uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Was that the one where the planes couldn't take off and people were stuck for hours (days?) in parked aircraft?

Chicago has to be the most oppressive heat I have ever experienced and I lived in East Africa for 3 years.

Humidity has a lot to do with making it very uncomfortable.
What did you do in East Africa for 3 years?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What did you do in East Africa for 3 years?

Was in my youth. Father hauled the whole family over there on a Canadian Education Aid Program (I think it was called CEDA at the time), he was a math/science teacher.

Come to think of it now Khartoum has to the hottest place I have ever been. Like tarmac sticky hot.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Any stories or experiences you can remember? Africa must be a lot different than Canada

Oh Ya lots and lots, I was 10-12 ish at the time. The one for the books though was we flew from London to Dar es Salaam in a de Havilland Comet the worlds first jet airliner. God I'm aging myself.

In any event we should get this thread back on track.

Crankit

I thought I read today that Death Valley was going to reach 130F today.....Osoyoos ,BC was indexed at 40C :oops:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
See the bow in that shelf board...…...

SHELFBOW.JPG

That's about 1/4 of how much the shelf was bowing down LOL. So.... today's shop improvement was to make a 1/2" thick backer for it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A bit of organizing and decorating last night.
4ed216d92c93689cffa4f8bad8023b5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Dust cover for magnet attached macbook power cord. I get swarf stuck in the port on the magnet so I made this quick 3d printed cover. The metal pins are just some tig rod cut down and glued in.

I'll post the designs on thingiverse.

If you want one here is the posting:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4577010

Attachments

• IMG_5611 2.JPG
    IMG_5611 2.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5610 2.JPG
    IMG_5610 2.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dust cover for magnet attached macbook power cord. I get swarf stuck in the port on the magnet so I made this quick 3d printed cover. The metal pins are just some tig rod cut down and glued in.

That is brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member

That's a great idea John. I had the same issue.