• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Daily Shop Improvement

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I saw an article a while back about a guy who couldn't build bigger or higher so he went lower. Built the shop below ground level and had a shed and grass on top. I think it was Halifax, the city probably amended the bylaws after that.
The YouTuber Colin furze has something like this in his Garden in the UK. The bunker.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Craig, in Calgary there are city ordinances on development, but in some city communities there are also "restrictive covenants" installed by the developer, in all lot agreements that everyone in the community must sign before a lot # address is issued to them...and believe me some of them can be very restrictive, I built all the streets& lots in Aspen Estates 15 years ago & those owners can't even build a bird house in their back yard with out neighbor's throwing a fit. These covenants can restrict the # & height of trees and shrubbery you plant in a yard. I even had to ask a lot owner to remove a mountain rock the size of a recliner chair from his back yard after a complaint from his neighbor that it was "unsightly because the birds were staining it by crapping on it"....

BMW Rider

Super User
If you find the door opener getting in the way try one of these
https://www.liftmaster.com/8500-wall-mount-garage-door-openers/p/8500
I put one in a while back and the extra height is great when swinging around taller stuff.

I have the older version of that opener on my garage addition door. Its a high lift door to clear my car lift, so a conventional opener would not work. If I had to replace the opener on the other door I would not even consider a conventional opener and would use one of these on it too. The deadbolt feature is really nice for the added security.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Added a steel top to my bench.
Before:
62864cace67123991c9ac761df45486d.jpg

After:
19b9368d695aac9677031feb2a044f6c.jpg

And removed 99% of the hideous gold paint from my Record 34P vise.
Before:
c0b2dff88d268417069c35905b906d50.jpg

After:
40093ca8cb9a43e9042bf75abfa8a023.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How did you get the front edge of your steel top rolled over so nicely like that? What thickness is it?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
How did you get the front edge of your steel top rolled over so nicely like that? What thickness is it?

The top actually came from a Gap store display table that a fellow was selling.
I originally bought it for the steel base as the ad said it had a Formica or melamine top. When I picked it up I discovered that it had a steel top.

There were two layers of 1/2” MDF under the steel so was bloody heavy to move about.
It was 73.75” long and about 30” wide. I cut it to 22” wide to fit over the top of my existing bench.

I’d say the steel is a good 1/16” thick. I’ll measure it tomorrow.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And here I thought everyone needed a golden vise lol. Is the cabinet map drawers?

The cabinet came out of the Royal Jubilee hospital during one of their renovations. It’s a good 40 years old.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And the wall is sheeted!
Next up is build the door frame and hang the door.
Originally I thought I’d put in a pocket door. I thought about the framing for a pocket door and how it would limit what I could hang on the wall. So I’m going with a standard 2-8 door that will open toward the drill press.
051d24d7497fd4a0d01eedb23aa68172.jpg

5571028392e90781f5a2bb43552c251f.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

I just measured the top. It’s 14 gauge so definitely took some oomph to shear and bend it.
This is a shot of the underside of the piece I cut off. I don’t know what the little square piece is for as nothing was attached to it.
b0be2b6a77be161d82faf37e5855ace7.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And the door is in!
This was a really big step as it separates the bikes from the mess of sawdust etc.
Let’s us get our riding gear out of the house and stored with the bikes.
bb372601bd6008cd4570dd96fec222f1.jpg