• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

D. Gray D&D - HEAVY DUTY KNURLING TOOL KIT

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Craig said, Did you glue your arm plates together in pairs and gang drill/ream them as one per the build notes? Using my mill DRO on each plate, I ended up with one spacer pin hole that was out by a smidge and had to re-drill the two arms spacer pin holes as a pair.

Most often a smidge becomes part and parcel of any project and doesn't interfere with the final outcome. Just saying!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Most often a smidge becomes part and parcel of any project and doesn't interfere with the final outcome. Just saying!

Ain't that the truth!

That's not sad, it's smart. :)
If you can do a higher risk operation before you invest a lot of time in machining, it makes sense to do it in that order. It certainly lowers my stress level to do things that way.

More truth! Been there, done that too! Feel exactly the same way!

But it's still funny!

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's not sad, it's smart. :)
If you can do a higher risk operation before you invest a lot of time in machining, it makes sense to do it in that order. It certainly lowers my stress level to do things that way.
Stress??? This is too fun to be stressful, for me its not about the part I am making, its the journey of making it that is the fun part that's where I get the enjoyment so naturally I want to do the new/most difficult part first because it will bring the most reward and continue to build my skills. I will when possible do a practice run on more difficult/unsure tasks to build confidence for a final usable product.

Aliva

Super User
Did you glue your arm plates together in pairs and gang drill/ream them as one per the build notes? Using my mill DRO on each plate, I ended up with one spacer pin hole that was out by a smidge and had to re-drill the two arms spacer pin holes as a pair.
Yes I glued the arm plates together, but on one pair the glue let go when I was clamping it in the vise and this resulted in a small misalignment of the holes. A little filing took care of it. If I were to do it again I would put a small tack weld on the arms.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes I glued the arm plates together, but on one pair the glue let go when I was clamping it in the vise and this resulted in a small misalignment of the holes. A little filing took care of it. If I were to do it again I would put a small tack weld on the arms.

Just wondering what kind of glue you used?

I still can't weld worth crap. So I'm also wondering if a pair of sacrificial clamping screws wouldn't be just as effective. They could be removed when they are no longer required and the holes drilled out to become decorative weight reducing features.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Yes I glued the arm plates together, but on one pair the glue let go…
I wonder if gluing the arm plates together, and then to a sacrificial aluminium plate would work. Then the arm plates could be clamped to the aluminium plate?

I’m very impressed with the way Joe Pie uses fixtures on his YouTube videos.

Aliva

Super User

I still can't weld worth crap. So I'm also wondering if a pair of sacrificial clamping screws wouldn't be just as effective. They could be removed when they are no longer required and the holes drilled out to become decorative weight reducing features.
I used standard superglue. To release the glue just heat the parts with a propane torch. Use a wire buffer wheel to remove any residual glue

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I used standard superglue. To release the glue just heat the parts with a propane torch. Use a wire buffer wheel to remove any residual glue

I'm not a fan of superglue. It requires a super tight fit.

If I were doing it, I'd use epoxy which will also let go with a little heat.

Still leaning toward screws......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m very impressed with the way Joe Pie uses fixtures on his YouTube videos.

I generally like Joe Pie. Sometimes he can be a bit snotty, but he knows his stuff and so I can forgive him for it. Like most youtube authors, his videos are also too long.

Yes, he is a fixture wizard!

Get a good TIG and you'll change your mind.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I just did that in aluminum put a nut over it and weld it then give it a few wiggles to loosen it, it worked a charm for me.
I've watched my neighbour do just that, several times, to extract broken taps and broken studs. It's like magic.