Contemplating a trip to Alberta (Calgary) to pick up a project.........

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : Your offer is awesome and thank you! You may see me and one of the lads if we are in the area for a pick up. I have not been back to the Chatham area in a long time. We routinely tie up in Windsor or Sarnia if you are in the area. I can give you a tour of the ship. - at least for a little bit longer LOL.

I'd love a tour of the ship.

Don't you ever tie up in Amherstburg? I know that the coast gaurd has a station there. Only an hour from here and my middle son lives nearby.

Brent H

Ultra Member
We have a couple times in recent years. Water level needs to be high as our ship draws about 5.1 meters and A-Berg is cutting it close. There is a rock shelf just off the dock. We have been placed on the shelf before - not a good thing - LOL

If I know we are in there and have the time to stay there I will give you a ping!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Chicken lights and @YYCHM : I will be going the Canada route. It is a long enough drive without all the boarder BS not to mention the Covid stuff etc. Carter's passport still has him as a little kid and he is now over 6 feet - LOL - it would be a hard sell. Anyway - I would prefer to be in Canada in case of issues along the way.

Not sure if @Dusty will be at home when we get to Moose Jaw - that would be a neat visit.

How close are you to Calgary @YYCHM ? like right in town or ?

I am chatting with the local Opel aficionado in Calgary and I have to arrange a pick of some parts etc plus family visits but it would be great to meet up with as many of the forum guys as I can to say hello and such.
Once you leave TBay it’s a long pull to get to Manitoba in one day but there’s a bunch of smaller motels before you get to Winnipeg. Be warned northern Ontario motels can be dicey getting a room, lots of construction workers up there. You’ll want to take the bypass towards Brandon to get around Winnipeg. All the way to Alberta you get to count telephone poles. But the grain elevators are kinda neat.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We have a couple times in recent years. Water level needs to be high as our ship draws about 5.1 meters and A-Berg is cutting it close. There is a rock shelf just off the dock. We have been placed on the shelf before - not a good thing - LOL

If I know we are in there and have the time to stay there I will give you a ping!
Windsor, Leamington, works too.

So I gather you only stop in Aberg when the winds are not blowing all the water down the lake....... It's a weird effect. The water level at the head of Lake Erie (Aberg) is mostly affected by the wind strength and direction, not by rainfall or snow melt. Some say Niagara Falls plays a role too.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Once you leave TBay it’s a long pull to get to Manitoba in one day but there’s a bunch of smaller motels before you get to Winnipeg. Be warned northern Ontario motels can be dicey getting a room, lots of construction workers up there. You’ll want to take the bypass towards Brandon to get around Winnipeg. All the way to Alberta you get to count telephone poles. But the grain elevators are kinda neat.
@Chicken lights Winnipeg is 8 hours from us. I think @Brent H is planning on at least that in a day, especially if his boy drives. But I am not aware of the construction west from us. Brent, the twinning of #11/17 is in progress around Dorion but usually no stopping. It is off road. Just speed reduces to 70 km for about 10 minutes, if that, so if you get warned of that construction in your research, it is a non issue.....not that you can go around it anywhere anyways.....

Brent H

Ultra Member
I will be pushing to get to Calgary to have those dates in Calgary - has to be a bump and go as I have a woman who has not seen me for a month letting me go for another week :) If weather is good, no problem. If it is to turn bad I will have to leave before the storm

Perry

Ultra Member
Brent, I'm located in Calgary too. If I can be of assistance when your in the area, feel free to reach out. You never know what pops up on these kind of trips and the more contacts you have the better.

Perry

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Brent H Reach out if there's anything I can do for you while you are here - would great to see you face to face. Is there anything you might like from this side to take home?

I like Kevin's suggestion: you could meet a bunch of us with minimal time on your part, so you can turn around quickly.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey guys - I have Perry programmed into my phone and I have Shawn as well - I think I have @Dabbler and @YYCHM as we have spoken in the past but will check.

Once things get underway I will start a wee blog on here for the trip and keep you all updated as the journey progresses. Hopefully nice weather and smooth ride.

It would be great if we could set up a meet and greet - we can plan something out ;)

Hacker

Super User
Hello Brent, I would really like to meet you as well. I am up in the Edmonton area and would come down to Calgary if the stars align and you have the time.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Trucks parked on the side of the road today. Highway closed from Sistonen's corner (just outside of Thunder Bay, junction of #102 and 11/17) to Manitoba border.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Trucks parked on the side of the road today. Highway closed from Sistonen's corner (just outside of Thunder Bay, junction of #102 and 11/17) to Manitoba border.

What's that about? How long is that supposed to last?

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Prolly all Gawkers. The word is out that the coast gaurd is coming by and they all wanted to be there to see it!