• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Contemplating a trip to Alberta (Calgary) to pick up a project.........

Brent H

Ultra Member
So I have a lead on a restoration project (a car) and this would be a purchase in Calgary. If things are a go and I choose to take the 3200km drive, it may be advantageous to take something out to the Calgary folks verses just driving out there and back......o_O

Could be just a pipe dream as I will find out later today. If I am doing it....any thoughts on needing a mule?

Brent H

Ultra Member
It would be a 1970 Opel Gt - restoration project - in some rough shape but operational. I had the same car when I was a young lad. My wife loved it - I sold it and bought a truck - she has been on me about it ever since LOL

Fixed up they are going for 15 to 20K US. When I was young we had little money and I had no place to keep/fix things - Time changes LOL

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Perfect - do you go with trailer and can pick up larger things? How much to move a Southbend 9C lathe? One of the members is selling it for cheap and I would love to move it to Calgary. If not a trailer then I have two micrometers with TobraAprentice.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I miss my 68 Mustang GT but alas, little money at the time and no place to store and work on it:(

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Ha ha , Opel GT, my kid brother(speed freak to the nth degree) use one as his first serious drag racer, big block Chevy in it, of course the obligatory headers & brump-brump big cam idle sound and slicks wide as a row boat. Dave was gone working oversees one time and his wife's car wouldn't start....so she fired up the Opel and took er to down town, not knowing it wasn't "street legal"....she was rather embarrassed by the police attention she ended up causing .

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta : I would be hauling a flat bed trailer that would be long enough for the whole car and a crate of parts. The Lathe that you desire is located in Peterborough - that is about 2 hours away from me - wrong direction - hmmmm.....

Plan would be to depart Friday November 26th - only leaves me a day to get ready and try to get that lathe - @Chip Maker would be your guy I gather.

I will let you know how it goes with negotiations - anything is possible. I would move it for you for just a donation for my fuel usage. I would stick it in the truck box so it would be all protected.

Chip Maker

Super User
I miss my 68 Mustang GT but alas, little money at the time and no place to store and work on it:(
Maybe we should start an off topic car project forum. Was yours a fastback? I'm presently restoring a '68 Shelby that I bought in 1978 as a kid. I may hold the world record for longest restoration project lol. It's moving along much quicker since I retired and moved. I parted out a '67 GT 390 4-speed fastback car as a kid and had a '66 fastback for a while as well as 351 CJ car and a '71 Mach 1 ram air.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, 68 Mustang GT Fastback. Thing was a theft magnet. Was stolen 3 times, the last time they trashed the engine, and then I couldn't afford to keep it:mad:

Quinn

So I have a lead on a restoration project (a car) and this would be a purchase in Calgary. If things are a go and I choose to take the 3200km drive, it may be advantageous to take something out to the Calgary folks verses just driving out there and back......o_O

Could be just a pipe dream as I will find out later today. If I am doing it....any thoughts on needing a mule?
I seen that Opel the other day. I’m sure you are aware, but it’s rough. Things always show much rougher in real life. I understand the rarity of the car and can see the desire. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

I’m sure there are locals who would check it out for you. I know nothing about Opels!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Doesn't the coast gaurd have an ice breaking run out there someplace? If not now, surely this coming spring. The IPCC says we are all going to drown next year.

Driving out west at the end of November is risky... Of course, your neck of the woods isn't much better.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My wife just started drooling in envy. Opel was always her go to car in Germany, and this was her dream car.

Your wife seems to let you do what most of us would die for. I'd drive to China to get her that dream car of hers if I were you!

Sorry, I meant that reply for @Brent H . But what the heck, looks like it might apply to you too! And prolly a few others too!

And let's not forget that my bride of 50 years actually let me buy two knee mills - albeit only temporary....

Brent H

Ultra Member
Well we are getting things set up for the trip. I will be taking my youngest boy on the adventure - he is pretty pumped!
Thank you @Susquatch concerns - yes that time of year is of some weather concern and yes, my neck of the woods gets typically bombed in the winter (usually close to 3 feet remains all winter).

@darrin1200 : My wife is totally stoked about the purchase and I hope it all works out - she just loved the car and once it it running properly she wants to learn to drive it. It is a 4 speed standard -pretty peppy and fun to drive.

I will be bringing some extra gas and a few other things for the trip. The good thing is that my truck is nice an big and I have a full work cap on the back with a roll out bed so it is easy to bring some additional supplies.

I am sure I can set up a "where are you now" for @YYCHM 's entertainment.

@ShawnR has offered a place to crash for the first leg of the trip - excellent! Thank you Shawn! we will see where we make it to on the second leg.

If all goes well it will be quite the adventure. I have 3 brothers and 1 brother in law in Calgary and I have all you Forum brothers out there as well - plus there is an Opel club I will be meeting - should be fun times!

If any Ontario guys need something brought back - let me know and we can see what is possible.

Exciting times - LOL