Contemplating a trip to Alberta (Calgary) to pick up a project.........

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That photo was at camp this summer. He is not usually that rough looking. And he looks older there but is actually only 18 months old. Very friendly, as all Newfoundlands are.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Brent H you gonna go out 11 or 17? I usually run 17 but 11 is flatter. Look for an app called Trucker Path, it might help with finding gas or distances

Fun fact it’s uphill all the way from the Manitoba border. All the stinking way to Calgary.

The Transcanada has stoplights on it that suck time :mad:

Have a safe trip!!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Chicken lights would there be any advantage to crossing the border and coming west on the US side? My cousin did that when he picked up his Jag in Ont. and drove it back to Alberta.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Roger that @Chicken lights (Dave) I will be planning out a route and your advice on anything to do with road travel is always most excellent and appreciated. After @ShawnR 's place I will be entering a new travel experience as this will be a first for driving past T-Bay. Always flew .....

Up hill eh.....Frack - I guess it will be decent with an empty trailer vs loaded. Loaded for the way back .....all down hill - :)

Chicken lights

@Chicken lights would there be any advantage to crossing the border and coming west on the US side? My cousin did that when he picked up his Jag in Ont. and drove it back to Alberta.
Oh for sure, it would save a ton of time going out. Coming back Brent might have issues at both border crossings, not to mention he might have to pay duty at the Canadian side.

Brent- past T Bay it’s all winding hilly roads, for the most part it’s two or three lane until Manitoba. 90% of the passing zones are uphill. Big trucks (usually) are in a huge rush and have zero issues being a bully.

If you look at the map you could cross at the Soo and run due west, then picking up Hwy 2 all the way to Shelby MT, North to sweet grass which then takes you to Lethbridge and then into Calgary. Very scenic drive.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmmmm..... I smell the possibility of a run through Chatham to take the Chicago route around Lake Michigan.

Two nice warm beds here, fine Italian cooking, and whatever you like to drink.

Might not be your first choice especially if you leave early to rack up some miles. Prolly won't go via the US on the way home, but the option on that leg is open here too.

You and your son are welcome anytime. Just sayin so you know.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Why would he have to pay duty to bring a used car sourced in Canada back across the border?

Because the border officers are control freaks when it comes to common folk like us. Doesn't have to be legal or right or fair. You get to pay a lawyer and most likely get everything confiscated if you don't like it or give them a hard time.

Truck drivers are the only guys who get any leeway and sometimes they get the book thrown at them too.

Chicken lights

Why would he have to pay duty to bring a used car sourced in Canada back across the border?
The problem is he’s “exporting” it at that time. He’s not, we all know that, but it’s considered freight at that point. I don’t know what the USA side would say about it. When I drove my sisters stuff south, because I was driving without her, we had to setup a trip and have it cleared, along with a list of items. They checked the VIN on the vehicle too.

Both sides are touchy about vehicles with VINS being imported or exported.

This is why, if the freight is travelling through the USA but the final destination isn’t the USA, it travels under a bond. That way the USA isn’t importing it.

Chicken lights

That’s also why if the freight is staying in Canada, we stay in Canada with it, to save both import and export processes

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Chicken lights and @YYCHM : I will be going the Canada route. It is a long enough drive without all the boarder BS not to mention the Covid stuff etc. Carter's passport still has him as a little kid and he is now over 6 feet - LOL - it would be a hard sell. Anyway - I would prefer to be in Canada in case of issues along the way.

Not sure if @Dusty will be at home when we get to Moose Jaw - that would be a neat visit.

How close are you to Calgary @YYCHM ? like right in town or ?

I am chatting with the local Opel aficionado in Calgary and I have to arrange a pick of some parts etc plus family visits but it would be great to meet up with as many of the forum guys as I can to say hello and such.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : Your offer is awesome and thank you! You may see me and one of the lads if we are in the area for a pick up. I have not been back to the Chatham area in a long time. We routinely tie up in Windsor or Sarnia if you are in the area. I can give you a tour of the ship. - at least for a little bit longer LOL.