• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Collet Chuck information

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Careful, once you get one set they reproduce like rabbits.
ER11, ER16, ER32, R8, 5C. 3C

I went with ER32 rather than ER40 just because of the price differential

Ya, I got a ER20 R8 collet chuck and a MT2 collet chuck and 15 piece metric collet set as a means of eliminating using a drill chuck on the mill and lathe. For the most part they do a good job as a drill chuck substitute as long as you're not in a hurry to drill something. In retrospect I wish I had gone ER32.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For the most part they do a good job as a drill chuck substitute as long as you're not in a hurry to drill something.

Maybe your drills need sharpening? I find no difference in material removal if a drill is held by a collet or a regular drill chuck. If anything, the drills run truer in a collet than a chuck. Just my observation....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Maybe your drills need sharpening? I find no difference in material removal if a drill is held by a collet or a regular drill chuck. If anything, the drills run truer in a collet than a chuck. Just my observation....

In the tail stock on my lathe the collet chuck with subby drill bits works way better than my drill chuck. Everything is shorter and stiffer with less bit wobble. On the mill the shorter collet chuck gives me more room to maneuver before having to resort to raising the head. I also find it runs truer.

Part of the issue is that I have cheap drill chucks and a MT2 chuck arbor that's not the best. I've replaced that arbor 3 times now.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Collet Chuck update - after digesting the comments and videos to this thread and much thought last Sunday I ordered a Collet Chuck from Accusize. https://accusizetools.com/

See bottom of page 29, item # ER32-0100 and ER32 wrench item # 0532-K032

Unable to locate the proper backplate another member is willing to send a 5" slice of 4140 so I can make same. This afternoon my order from Accusize arrived so I'm one step closer to the fire pit. Mentioned items fit nicely with my kind of projects and lathe although some where down the road, and my gathering the components ahead of time works for me. Bottom line can now move ahead with my plans.

That's where I'm at, my thanks to the members. ER32-0100-C__66898.1571925383.1280.1280_600x (1).jpg 0532-K032-A_600x.jpg

Last edited:
Collet Chuck update - after digesting the comments and videos to this thread and much thought last Sunday I ordered a Collet Chuck from Accusize. https://accusizetools.com/

See bottom of page 29, item # ER32-0100 and ER32 wrench item # 0532-K032

Unable to locate the proper backplate another member is willing to send a 5" slice of 4140 so I can make same. This afternoon my order from Accusize arrived so I'm one step closer to the fire pit. Mentioned items fit nicely with my kind of projects and lathe although some where down the road and my gathering the components ahead of time works for me. Bottom line can now move ahead with my plans.

That's where I'm at, my thanks to the members.

I'll second that thankyou! I was following this thread in the background very closely and learned a few things from it too. As a consequence I made the same decision as @Dusty but purchased from a no name chinese maker. The backplate in my case may be more of a challenge. I have an L0 spindle to fit and will try to make my own as well.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Great choices @Canadium and @Dusty I think they fit your situations great for each of you.
I ordered this for my collet adventure for what I want to do it will do the job and I will order some collets when I figure out what I want.
And if later on I decide to go your route I will have this great thread to get me in the right direction too.
Hard steel hex er-32 collet chuck block cnc lathe tool holder Sale - Banggood.com

You should have checked amazon first.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Er32+bloc...=1622863631&rnid=14479220011&ref=sr_nr_p_97_1

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I have a 5” CDCO 5C collet chuck, direct bolt-on to the BB B2227L. Same one is sold by Little Machine Tools. Mine is true within a tenth or so. B2227L is 95mm register. The Little Machine Shop site has a .PDF drawing of their chuck so you can double-check dimension. go to LMS site, product 3047

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

Sorry Johnwa I'm from the old school and not a big fan of ebay, amazon or off shore listings. In todays world there's far too many slippery slicks out there more than willing to take your money and credit card information. You tell me what's does secure really mean in todays world, absolutely nothing. I refuse to do my banking on line, more and more the media informs us of compromised computer systems.

Have enough heart burn in my life thank you. Just saying!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Dusty , my comment was in response to @combustable herbage who ordered from Banggood. Before ordering from China I always check Amazon prime, sometimes the prices are competitive and 1 or 2 day delivery sure beats the boat from China.

Johnwa your comments are well taken no offence meant. What works for some doesn't always work for others its that simple.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Dusty No worries I understand, it took me forever to use pay at the pump.

You too eh!!! I could never figure out the prompts.... The max pre-authorized purchase stuff just eluded me for the longest time. Do you want $10, $50, $100.... worth of gas... How the hell would I know....I want to fill the freaking car please.

Last edited:
@Dusty No worries I understand, it took me forever to use pay at the pump.

Haha ... I still don't use pay at the pump! Boy have I ever become an old fogy! Even worse I used to be a hi tech computer programmer with all the latest gear. At the beginning I saw all the new digital technology through rose colored glasses. Now I've had a big change of heart. Now I think of myself as a digital Mennonite!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You too eh!!! I could never figure out the prompts.... The max pre-authorized purchase stuff just eluded me for the longest time. Do you want $10, $50, $100.... worth of gas... How the hell would I know....I want fill the freaking car please.
Ha ha. That's like me at the grocery store when they ask how many bags I would like? I don't know, enough to bag my groceries I guess.

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s a rip off selling you a bag for more than they buy it for so you can buy their groceries or you can buy a reusable bag from them to use over and over while it collects bacteria.

darrin1200

Darrin
Sorry if I'm out of line. I don't want to hijack someone's thread.
I am looking to add a D1-3 ER32 collet chuck to my SM 10" Utilathe. I already have a full set of metric collets for my and an chuck for my wood lathe. On the SM, I am using a straight bodied chuck, that I picked up at Cardon Tools. I have it mounted in my 4-Jaw independent chuck. Because I use these collets almost exclusively in my pen making, I would like to have a dedicated D1-3 chuck.

I am looking at the same chuck that @Dusty picked up from Accusize (in post #84). However, I have no idea how to mount and fit this to a D1-3 face plat. I am not even sure what to get.
This is the adapter (D1-3 5" -- p# 2600-0517) I was thinking of getting. Will it work, and how do I fit it to the chuck? If I do go this route, I will be asking lots of questions?

1627414555372.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I am looking at the same chuck that @Dusty picked up from Accusize (in post #84). However, I have no idea how to mount and fit this to a D1-3 face plat. I am not even sure what to get. This is the adapter (D1-3 5" -- p# 2600-0517) I was thinking of getting. Will it work, and how do I fit it to the chuck? If I do go this route, I will be asking lots of questions?

The chuck is bolted to the adapter with three socket head cap screws. The chuck mounting holes are threaded and the adapter has counter sunk chuck mounting holes that allow a socket head cap screw to pass through. Check that the chuck registration recess and bolt pattern dimensions match that of the adapter, both are published on the Accusize site.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Darrin
@YYCHM unfortunately, they don’t list the bolt pattern dimension for the chuck. But the bolt pattern on the backplate looks to be bigger than the diameter of the chuck, so I don’t think that will work.

@PeterT Thanks for the picture. That explains the set up quite well. I think I am going to have to hone my skills a little, then machine my own mount from a blank d1-3 backplate.