• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Collet Chuck information

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
My lathe is a Craftex B2227L 10"x18", with a spindle bore of 27mm/1" and #4 Morse taper. Been thinking on getting a Collet chuck for my lathe although never used one before. Looking at the collet chuck listings on KBC I become totally confused from their data. CNC simply does NOT fit my wants or needs. Members with collet experience will surely catch my thinking here basically working with fractional collets up to 3/4".

Perhaps there's a member with an older no longer needed collet set that would fit my lathe. I'm sort of at a loss guys mostly due to the #4 Morse taper of my lathe. At this point I'm looking for specifics and suggestions to work my white matter through this' LOL

Bottom line, perhaps cost will keep my plan out of reach. Just saying!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think you have a couple of options.
First and perhaps easiest is an ER32 collet chuck on an MT taper. The only drawback is no pass through for long stock and a drawbar is required to keep the chuck snug in the spindle.

Second would be a 5C on a dedicated backplate. More work to make.
ER was designed for tool holding and 5C for work holding but I know lots use ER for work holding. ER collets have a larger clamping range which can be advantageous.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I think you have a couple of options.
First and perhaps easiest is an ER32 collet chuck on an MT taper. The only drawback is no pass through for long stock and a drawbar is required to keep the chuck snug in the spindle.

Second would be a 5C on a dedicated backplate. More work to make.
ER was designed for tool holding and 5C for work holding but I know lots use ER for work holding. ER collets have a larger clamping range which can be advantageous.

Thanks David, I didn't understand a ER32 collet could fit a MT#4 taper. Learn something new every day!

I do have your basic fractional set of 5C collets for my spindex so then what would I require to hold them in my #4MT spindle? Could you be more specific with an item or photo from the KBC web site. Perhaps then the light will go on! LOL

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
5C chuck would be my first choice especially if you already have some collet already.

You might be able to find a 4 morse taper holder for many of the smaller common er collet options.

I have a 3mt taper holder for a oz25 collet system and I've it very much but of course it doesn't have the pass through capability of a 5C chuck.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
5C chuck would be my first choice especially if you already have some collet already.

You might be able to find a 4 morse taper holder for many of the smaller common er collet options.

I have a 3mt taper holder for a oz25 collet system and I've it very much but of course it doesn't have the pass through capability of a 5C chuck.

Thanks shall double check to see if I can locate a #4 MT holder for 5C collets.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks shall double check to see if I can locate a #4 MT holder for 5C collets.
I don't think you'll find a morse taper holder for 5C, but I could be wrong. I think they are always a spindle chuck mount system. The morse taper holders I am referring to are for the extended range collet systems like er16, er25, etc.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’m working on a er32 collet holder for the mill. Similar to your request I think? Make one of these for the collet size you have?

Attachments

• F32CB0F5-5661-4505-9CDA-7EAC682B2434.jpeg
    F32CB0F5-5661-4505-9CDA-7EAC682B2434.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 27

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Dusty: What type of chuck mount is your lathe? As @David_R8 suggested I made up a D-3 back plate to an ER32 collet chuck. Amazon has that one for about $100 but I found this one on a deal:
https://www.amazon.ca/Diameter-Collet-Chuck-Milling-ER32-80mm/dp/B07ZK44Z31/ref=sr_1_106?crid=3J4SB6JJYA5W2&dchild=1&keywords=er32+collet+chuck&qid=1621793138&sprefix=ER+32+,aps,552&sr=8-106

Now, that being said- maybe a back plate for your lathe is expensive to fit that collet holder on?

One option I was also exploring for my lathe (MT-4) spindle was to get a set of MT-4 collet holders and then fashion a draw bar and handle that inserted through the back of the spindle and allowed you to tighten and loosen the MT4 collet. This will be a threaded TUBE so that there is a through hole for longer stock. @architect may be able to supply a picture of his for a Standard Modern Lathe

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/132253576490?hash=item1ecaed6d2a:g:F3AAAOSwR5lgTVKy

So that is about a $200 option and you have to make a handle.

There is also this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/293910772106?hash=item446e72798a:g:fiUAAOSwWUJf3om7

$60

This is a MT4 that would fit your spindle and has a draw bar thread in the back of it - it is from China so will be metric, but you can get some metric treaded rod and make a draw bar up - it just tightens up on the back side of the spindle tube. (No Though hole though)

Last one is to use your 5C collects but things start adding up in cost as the 5C holder is a lot more expensive (there are cheap ones though)

https://www.amazon.ca/Collet-Complete-Durable-Accuracy-Accessories/dp/B08M6F62NJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=17VP41S4HBQQX&dchild=1&keywords=5c+collet+chuck&qid=1621794054&sprefix=5C+collet,aps,234&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVkFDTTJPSjE2WFJSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDI4NjM2MjJQWVRZM1NTODFTNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzM3MDIxM0FCQ1FTMElSTVpMQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You then just put a back plate on and get it running as true as possible for your lathe spindle.

Hope that helps?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just expanding on mentioned suggestions

1. you might be able to find an arbor with MT4 shank & collet head. The shank fits your headstock taper, but shank must be threaded on the end (vs solid or tang). Threads required to rig up a drawbar type bolt against the spindle tube to tighten it into socket. Downside is the arbor is solid so you cant accommodate long stock that would normally extend inside the spindle tube. But if all you want to do is hold things in the collet & work extends towards TS, this is the most compact & accurate setup. have a look at the collet ranges but probably ER32 or ER40 might be suitable

2. depending on how the BB mounts (just guessing here) maybe you can utilize the backplate that is already on one of our chucks & unbolt it? Or buy a dedicated spare from BB & use to marry to an ER style backplate. The link Brent provided looks like pic below rotated into position. Typically they already have holes drilled but may or may not match up to anything. Downside is this has to be dialed in & centered & retained but probably a 1-time deal. Upsides: you can extend work into the spindle bore to your max ID like a chuck. You can use the ER plate elsewhere like bolted to mill table or rotary table. You could also utilize the dedicated adapter plate to marry a tooling plate (round disc with array of threaded holes) which can provide lots of utility, clamping oddball parts in lathe for turning etc.

Others have already mentioned 5C collet system. You need a 5C chuck & some means to marry to lathe spindle, probably a dedicated machined adapter plate. 5C cost more, limited range to nominal 1/32 increments (so a large set count). More chuck stickout, say 6" including reasonable backplate.

Attachments

• EDT-2021-05-23 000.jpg
    EDT-2021-05-23 000.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 21
  • EDT-2021-05-23 001.jpg
    EDT-2021-05-23 001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 21

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hey Peter, I haven't had my 3 jaw chuck off for 4 to 5 years now so I'll do that this coming week and take pictures and measurements. I think that's best before I go any further with my question. Adapter plate appears to be part of the spindle according to my manual.

1621808678717.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, that sounds like Craftex. The spindle plate and chuck have a registration and the chuck bolts straight on. The registration and bolt patterns are standardized for different chuck sizes. You would need to find a collet chuck with mounting plate that has the same registration and bolt pattern.

https://littlemachineshop.com/info/lathechuck.php

There are some options here, but their shipping is usually a killer.

Search For... - LittleMachineShop.com

How big is your chuck?

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ah I see. Therefore

- for the MT4 shank insert option, need to verify that you can even get a drawbar through the spindle (suspect its solid on the outboard left end?). If so, arbor option is a no-go

- for integral ER chuck/plate option like my pic in post 15, you would have to recess machine & re-drill the plate to essentially mimic the back of your existing chuck dimensions. Switching from chuck to collet would involve bolt removal but assume no different than switching from say 3J to 4J chuck?

Attachments

• EDT-2021-05-23 002.jpg
    EDT-2021-05-23 002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 5

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Ah I see. Therefore

- for the MT4 shank insert option, need to verify that you can even get a drawbar through the spindle (suspect its solid on the outboard left end?). If so, arbor option is a no-go

- for integral ER chuck/plate option like my pic in post 15, you would have to recess machine & re-drill the plate to essentially mimic the back of your existing chuck dimensions. Switching from chuck to collet would involve bolt removal but assume no different than switching from say 3J to 4J chuck?

Sorry for the delay but you're right Craig my spindle is hollow all the way, a blond hair under 1 & 1/16 inches diameter or 27mm. So yes a draw bar would work. As mentioned I need to have a closer look and take photos of my factory set up. Bolt pattern in the adapter plate may be hard to match for an off-the-shelf fit.

Last edited: