• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Collet Chuck information

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No problem Dusty I have been watching this one for sure, I am not at the point to want to use collets but the education has been invaluable, I want to get a 4 jaw chuck and maybe this will educate/expand my options beyond what bb has available.
I have shin splints at the moment and its been so nice out its so hard not go for a walk but then I pay the price when I get back, at least I have some green to help keep the pain away.

Thanks to @combustable herbage for his input for his Craftex chuck measurements. Yesterday wasn't a good day for me getting around, I have far too many days like that.[/QUOTE]

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes to clarify (at least to my thinking) the best plug-n-play solution is to mount the referenced 5C collet chuck to the existing spindle adapter plate because it thus far it looks like the geometry collectively fits according to measurements & LMS link dimensions.

The MT4 has nothing to do with this particular configuration because chuck alignment is accomplished between the faceplate protrusion & chuck rear face recess. (It's not a a camlock). I don't think 5C plays well with MT4 in any form I've seen. The ER collet plate might be another option as mentioned. I'm not sure that we found a direct mount model to his spindle adapter like the 5C chuck, otherwise some machining mods or inter-adapter plate would be required. ER-40 ranges 0.188*1.024 so not appreciably different than 5C, but one needs a lot more 5C collets to cover the same range as they are smaller range, I think +0.0, -0.032"

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Cheapest is to either buy MT4 to ER32 / ER40 and use it in taper gently.

Other then that I made my own ER40 chuck. It is not that hard - I think the thread was M50 x 2.0 or something like that.

I guess I should make a little video of checking it for accuracy. I think it was under 1 thou runout.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I've learned much over the past two days re; Collet Chucks and really appreciated your input, thanks to everyone!

Here's how I see my options. I shall try to locate a Collet 5c chuck to fit my boss, one that I could fasten with my existing 8mm short cap screws. Failing that I would then need to find a chuck adaptor to fit between the boss and Collet chuck inset. Could I make one perhaps although not with my present condition.

Second thought is buy a MT4 sleeve to fit my spindle that will take my MT3 end mill collets with draw bar etc. This idea would severely limit the length of project stock put in use. Knocking out the MT4 sleeve might be an issue because I wouldn't give the sleeve opportunity to rattle around inside the spindle. Not really what I had planned sort of a last resort kind of thing.

Bottom line I'm in no huge hurry due to my lame leg.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Take a look here:

Quinn (Blondihacks) takes a $100 set of ER32 and collet adaptor for a MT 4 from eBay and makes it work.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Take a look here:
Quinn (Blondihacks) takes a $100 set of ER32 and collet adaptor for a MT 4 from eBay and makes it work.

That's exactly what we suggested in post 14 & 15. Actually to save the effort of her turned & threaded drawbar, probably could use a stick of threaded ready rod with nut on the end. But this MT arbor is solid so excess stock cannot be fed in via the spindle bore. You are left with gripping confined to length of the ER collet. So for probably the same machining effort & cost, I would machine a recess in the back of the ER-40 base plate like these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002175984721.html
Or who knows maybe a model already exists like the 5C chuck where recess & bolt pattern already matches lathe. That way you get ER40 and stock can feed through spindle tube into collet.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The main reason is an ER chuck needs to grip over its length where as a split can hold short pieces.[/QUOTE]

I think my er collet would hold a short piece just as well as a 5C collet because all the clamping force would be directed just to the work piece and the collet chuck taper would ensure that the collet can not deflect in anyway that would loosen the grip on the work piece. I also like my er collet system that it has over 2" of clamping/contact surface with the workpiece which I think is even more than a 5C collet has??? This is just my OPINION and I do not have personal experience with a 5C system.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Check out the you tube for some vids on the comparisons. The ER collet system does a great job for small work holding. There are some pro and con to either system but the ER system seems to beat the 5C collet system for more even holding ..... I think Joe Pie does a video on the whole topic..

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Dusty Even if the ER system is going to set you back a little more, the stronger work holding and the elimination of the need for a draw bar makes it much easier for general use.

I went ER40 in inch sizes and I like the system a lot. One downside - you have to tighten the nut up MUCH tighter than you think you need to: for ER40 it is something like 90 foot pounds. Those little wrenches don't have enough lever arm to properly close the collets. Jus sayin' ;)

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Dusty Even if the ER system is going to set you back a little more, the stronger work holding and the elimination of the need for a draw bar makes it much easier for general use.

I went ER40 in inch sizes and I like the system a lot. One downside - you have to tighten the nut up MUCH tighter than you think you need to: for ER40 it is something like 90 foot pounds. Those little wrenches don't have enough lever arm to properly close the collets. Jus sayin' ;)

Hey Dabbler that's great food for thought exactly what I like about the forum so much in-depth experience and knowledge.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been following this thread closely, thought some collets for the mill would be nice as well. Bloody MT3 spindle, stuff for MT is getting hard to find, figured that would be better than using a MT holder with ER collets, less sticking out. R8 seems to be better available. Finding something that will work in mill and lathe is kind of like hens teeth.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been following this thread closely, thought some collets for the mill would be nice as well. Bloody MT3 spindle, stuff for MT is getting hard to find, figured that would be better than using a MT holder with ER collets, less sticking out. R8 seems to be better available. Finding something that will work in mill and lathe is kind of like hens teeth.
Yes R8 is definitely the most common. I have a mt3 collet holder for my lathe and at the time of purchase I kind of thought I might someday get a milling machine with a mt3 also. I ended up finally getting a milling machine but with a R8 spindle. There is a R8 collet holder available that holds my style of er collets but I haven't bothered with that because I have R8 collets also.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think what we are discovering with these great discussions is ”that one size does not fit all”.

Yes, it would be nice to just have an ER collet system to fit all the machines. It is possible - with adapters. For example: I have a MT3 to ER32 adapter. Allows me to use the collets in the tail stock and the headstock with an additional MT5 to MT3 factory sleeve. I can also use the ERs in the mill with a R8 adapter. I also have 5C collets for the spindexer and the square & hex collet blocks. They are also used in the indexing head. If you get a straight shank adapter, you can now put long reach collet holders into a R8 or 5C collet for those hard to reach places.

Having a collet chuck generally allows for long stock to pass through the spindle - that is nice to have when you don’t want to cut off the piece from the stock pre-op.

I think that ANY collet system is better than NO collet system. They are so versatile for small stuff and items on which a surface needs to be protected or are generally hard to hold without damage (like a threaded bolt).

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I think what we are discovering with these great discussions is ”that one size does not fit all”.

Yes, it would be nice to just have an ER collet system to fit all the machines. It is possible - with adapters. For example: I have a MT3 to ER32 adapter. Allows me to use the collets in the tail stock and the headstock with an additional MT5 to MT3 factory sleeve. I can also use the ERs in the mill with a R8 adapter. I also have 5C collets for the spindexer and the square & hex collet blocks. They are also used in the indexing head. If you get a straight shank adapter, you can now put long reach collet holders into a R8 or 5C collet for those hard to reach places.

Having a collet chuck generally allows for long stock to pass through the spindle - that is nice to have when you don’t want to cut off the piece from the stock pre-op.

I think that ANY collet system is better than NO collet system. They are so versatile for small stuff and items on which a surface needs to be protected or are generally hard to hold without damage (like a threaded bolt).

When I started this thread I certainly didn't expect there would be so much interest and post activity from well seasoned members. Sharing one's experience here is an eye opener for members at all levels. Keep it coming guys that's what it's all about.