• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CNC plasma cutter build

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If you redrill is there room for a longer bolt and have the lock nut on the outside of the tab using the end of the bolt to tension the v-wheel. This would mean one bolt and one nut, saves on hardware.

It would be close to be sure. It’s currently drill and tapped for 1/4-20. If I can move it over an 1/8” I think the end of a 1/4” cap screw will bear on the nut.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Could you put a plate on top and adjust the tension using the spacer or just extend the length with a threaded bar stock long enough to make contact With the existing adjustment screws.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
All wired up and no where to go!
3ea646fb2fcec585199024e7d37819b2.jpg

francist

Super User
Way cool! Awesome accomplishment there David_R8 ! What’s the thickness of the goods you’re cutting, just out of curiosity.

-frank

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Way cool! Awesome accomplishment there David_R8 ! What’s the thickness of the goods you’re cutting, just out of curiosity.

-frank

Thanks!
It’s just 22ga that I left over from building the water tray. The torch to work distance is too great but I thought I’d give it a whirl.
Super stoked that it works!

francist

Super User
I was gonna say something stupid like “ does it do any other shapes aside from those three…” but I thought I’d best refrain ;) Beats the heck out of drilling-nibbling-gnawing-and filing that’s for sure.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm waiting for the software update so it can do ovals. That's what all the pros have :)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What software are you using on your Mac? And how do you handle backlash? Nice project!
Thanks John, it was fun and a real learning experience.
I'm running an Arduino loaded with GRBL as the controller. I started out using Universal Gcode Sender (UGS) to drive the controller but I found it pretty funky to use. Calibrating the axis with UGS was an exercise in frustration. I switched to OpenBuildsControl and it's a pleasure to use. Calibration was dead easy and turned out to be quite accurate.

There's almost no backlash as the pinion gears are pulled into the gear rack by springs.
IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

SimonM

Amazing David! If you still are wondering what the issue was with the cube, look at your video, it looks like the sheet somehow moved. Could have been the cable dragging, the torch being too low or a bow in the sheet.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Amazing David! If you still are wondering what the issue was with the cube, look at your video, it looks like the sheet somehow moved. Could have been the cable dragging, the torch being too low or a bow in the sheet.
Thank you sir for the compliment and for diagnosing the problem with the cut!!!
That's exactly what it was. The torch was over the edge of the sheet and moved the sheet as the X-axis came toward the camera.
@Tom O Problem solved!
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.06.49 PM.png

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very Very nice work David it moves so smoothly very slick, nice to see all that hard work come to a successful result.
Now the fun part some tweaking and playing!!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks!
If I get some time today I’ll cut the slats for the water table.
Have some extra connectors coming so that I can still use the torch as a handheld cutter.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Used my metal shear to cut strips for the water tray. Not perfect as I need to add a couple at the near end.
I was going to use the plasma cutter to cut them but the torch switch is wired to the black box.
I have some new connectors coming so I can also use it as a handheld torch.
1d82bd6040bd0ccace165449b4bcfe62.jpg