• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Brent Builds!!

I wonder about putting the mill back to back with the 2 lathes. I presume you are supplying power from overhead? If so, 1 column or cluster of wires could supply the 3 machines. Plus the mill needs a lot of room left and right for maximum travel. If it is in the middle of the room, versus up against a wall, that floor space isn't totally committed just for occasional need?

On another note, is it possible to segregate the abrasive machines somewhat from mill and lathes? Bench grinder(s), belt sander(s) and even the T&CG. I suppose weld prep would be a fairly big source of flying abrasive particles?

What are you doing for ventilation in the welding area?

Will you have a space on the wood shop side for finishing/painting?

Craig

@DavidR8 and @trlvn - I think the mill will fit more into the corner, possibly even turn sideways, will work on some options.

@trlvn - the weld area is placed close to the garage door so I can move the welding table (seasonal) to blast crap out the door. But for inside work I have a HEPA rated smoke eater to mount above the table. I am also going to run a welding curtain beside the garage door tracks.
The space left open I am thinking to use as an area for painting and also project fab/assembly. Like for paint be able to curtain off the garage door area, power vent outside and then spray ……

More things to consider!

Looking good, floor layouts are never easy in reality, paper is always easy, just erase it and move it. A new piece of equipment changes all sometimes.
As to your power, perhaps think about putting a 100 amp box in, you don't have to use it all, and you will not be using it all at the same time with a 1 man show. It's easy to put the wiring in while being built for the bigger box. I hate breaker boxes that are built into the wall, mind you I hate any electrical hidden in the wall/ceiling in a shop, or in a concrete floor! Very time intensive to trace, change or modify!
I am a firm believer in separate circuits for higher draw/bigger equipment unless using a plug in system, though must be close to same amp. draw. And if everything is surface wired, fairly easy to change, add to or otherwise.
Please note, I am not an electrician and am not knowledgeable about the various codes for the providences.
There is a great thing about seeing a well set up "useable" shop with everything in a place, not like my shop, everything is in a place, all over the place!!!
Spell creep is working well for me today.

When I sheeted my walls I was thinking about putting a 10 inch wide board/plywood going around the 4 foot mark for any future wiring, I never did though because it doesn’t take long to take out a few screw.

IMG_2604.jpeg
Possible lay out change?

Probably easier when rolling out the machines into the space.

For power - the wood shop has 100 amp service and I am pulling a 60 amp panel off that to the machine shop. (Shops are connected so basically same circuit).

So here are my power draws:

240 volt:

Welder : 36 Amp
Plasma: 30
Air Compressor : 20
Mill: 6
Lathe 1 : 3
Lathe 2 : 3
Bandsaw: 6.5
Cutter/Grinder: 4
Then there is all the 120 plug and play.

Since I am a “1 guy shop” the 60 Amp seems reasonable. Wood shop has a few machines that - say 3 people joining in the fun - could blow things - LOL

If there is expansion I would need to run a second 200 amp service. That would mean I become “un-retired”

That would mean I become “un-retired”

For some reason I thought that already happened. Glad my memory is wrong.

I like your power thinking. 60A is enough for two guys.

I also like the lathe layout, and I'm not a fan of corner mills unless it is absolutely required by space limitations. So I like your mill placement too but I might flip it 180 so it faces a work bench for access to tools, setup, and stock. That would also create a work aisle for the lathes and mill. And maybe a drill press on the workbench too.

I see the tool and cutter grinder, but where is your bench grinder?

Can you get your tractor in there to move stuff?

@Susquatch : yes, full garage door (8x7) so my wee tractor will fit.

The mill is on a roller bed and easy to move. The cutter/grinder will need the same treatment.

As per my crazy design I will cut open a 4 foot wide access to the wood shop and all machines can
Roll in from their present location. Then I can move in things from that door.

Hey Brent, I might have missed it in your plans, but I suggest that after you insulate the walls and vapour barrier, you cover the walls with 3/4" plywood, then attach all your electrical on the surface and run EMT conduit. (Maybe white paint as well to increase light levels.)

Attachments

• 20231026_111115.jpg
    20231026_111115.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231026_111351.jpg
    20231026_111351.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 4
@thestelster - yes, walls are going to be covered in 1/2” OSB after drywall on the ceiling. Then the whole place sprayed white - similar to my other shop. Plywood would be nice but the OSB works fine and gives me a few hundred bucks to put into some other areas.

The conduit idea is great as the last owners used surface boxes to mount all the grow op lights and I saved all that - including the wiring, outlets etc. I also have a nice extraction fan they were using to dry the plants- it should make a great unit for clearing any smoke/dust.

yes, walls are going to be covered in 1/2” OSB after drywall on the ceiling.
May I suggest going up a thickness. Of course anything heavy will be attached to the joists, (16" OC?), but sometimes the panel or brackets won't span the joists, so you might need a little more thickness for extra bite.

Also, when attaching items, ie conduit straps, that might go between joists, you don't want to use screws long enough to go through your wall covering and puncture the vapour barrier beneath.

Last Saturday my wife and I took off to explore the trails that are pretty much just out back. We went through a lot of big puddles and stuff but got majorly stuck in the mud at a pretty clear open area (no place for the front winch to tie off to- Ugh! Local guy pulled is out but what a bummer to get stuck!

IMG_2620.jpeg

Last season my wife won a 2500 lb winch at the local side by side rally. Time to put it on!! - the back!!

Let the welding begin!

IMG_2653.jpegIMG_2656.jpegIMG_2657.jpegIMG_2658.jpeg

Back mount trailer hitch is a 2x2 square so that is what all the tubing is. Pops right into the rear mount. The receiver is from Princess Auto and the rest is made up from 2x2x 1/8” tub and 1/4” plate. Now just need to wire things up, bolt on the fairlead etc. should add to the mud fun in the future!!

The box on the back dumps so my winch location choice was limited to make sure the box can still dump.

Lucky guy on the new shop! I plan to build as well but only after we move (looking after my parents) then I plan to move closer to where I hunt and fish!

I like your layout and the in-floor heating is a great idea too. Having everything under one roof would sure be nice.

Keep posting pics!

Hopefully your machine is built better than Elon's Cyber truck.

Yes, I hope so too! It is a 2018 Textron Havoc X - seems to work very nicely- parts are a bit challenging though.

Slight delays in the shop build progress as I am waiting on the trusses. They are attic trusses with a 10/12 pitch yielding a 7 foot tall x 11 foot wide by 24 foot storage loft. Storage will be more for the air compressor, exhaust fan and a bunch of parts for my car build (hopefully starting late fall).

Trusses are due beginning of September so I wait……but have purchased electrical, doors, windows etc …. And ….sigh …. Wait….

Yes, I hope so too! It is a 2018 Textron Havoc X - seems to work very nicely- parts are a bit challenging though.

Slight delays in the shop build progress as I am waiting on the trusses. They are attic trusses with a 10/12 pitch yielding a 7 foot tall x 11 foot wide by 24 foot storage loft. Storage will be more for the air compressor, exhaust fan and a bunch of parts for my car build (hopefully starting late fall).

Trusses are due beginning of September so I wait……but have purchased electrical, doors, windows etc …. And ….sigh …. Wait….
10/12?
Yikes
So basically a wall that is 1/2 a bubble off plumb?:D

For the door opening between the shops, are you going to use 1@48" door, 2@24" doors or a rollup door? One big door will take up a lot of room when open and need to be built strong, double doors will be harder to seal but will have a shorter swing and the roll up door won't be inexpensive but gives wide open access.
I used a 36" and 18" doors on my shed and that gives space to get the ridem mower in/out with lots of room.

@YotaBota - great question ! And I have been pondering.

With a 48” opening I can roll all the metal machines into the addition without issue. My thought was to put a 48” roll up on the wood working side. There is more space for it and it would be then more out of the way. Having a slide door could also work. For the most part the separation is just to keep dust out of the metal tools and the grind out of the wood. Perhaps a beaded curtain- LOL with each hobby having some mystery……

Back