• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Brent Builds!!

Does this board support TapATalk anymore? I haven't used it in years but one nice feature was that it would reduce photo file size.

iPhone: There are many apps that you can install on your iPhone that allow you to resize photos, sometimes with many other features. For example:

macOS: I settled on a workflow a long time ago and it works for me:
- connect iPhone to Mac via USB (must authenticate on iPhone to permit connection)
- use ImageCapture on Mac to select and transfer photos onto the computer
- use Preview application to edit/retouch/rename the photo. If you don't have awesome lighting, the "Highlights" and "Shadows" controls in Adjust Color... can do amazing things.
- use Adjust Size... to scale down the photo. I find making the long side 1200 pixels results in a version that is sufficiently detailed yet well within the allowed upload size.
- upload to the website via your preferred browser.

HTH

Craig

So here we go!!
The shop in the picture is 24 x 40 and full of both wood working and metal working tools. The dream is to have 2 shops that support both endeavours with out tripping over all the machines. first step was to clear out the stumps and rocks and loam from a very busy tree cutting spring. We cleared a run about 30 x 90 feet and then an additional space behind the shop about 30 x 40 feet.
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG

The area behind the shop was excavated down about 5 to 6 feet and gravel back filled with a packer going every 6 to 8 inches
IMG_2244.JPG

The area pictured above is now suitable for a cement truck to drive to the back of the shop to pour the new pad.

Next picture is the new packed area for the shop extension.
IMG_2271.JPG

Starting to form things up and get the pad set. Sides are 12" deep and the floor will be insulated with 2" foam board, sealed with spray foam and then vapour barrier (6 mil)
IMG_2519.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG

15M rebar around the perimeter topped with 6 x 6 wire mesh and 15M rebar drilled into the existing pad every 2 feet
IMG_2552.JPG

Radiant floor heating tubing installed and zip tied to the mesh 12" on center. Each run is about 250 feet 1/2" PEX type tubing (radiant floor specific, O2 barrier etc.) 2 runs to cover the 21 x 24 foot pad.
IMG_2554.JPG

Poured the pad Friday in blistering 32 degree heat. things set up fast and probably not my best finish on a floor but it is flat and will do a fine job for a machine shop. I don't like a power trowelled floor in the shop as it can get really slippery - especially if you have an oil spill etc.
IMG_2561.JPG

I watered the floor about 5 times as it cured. Lumber package will be ordered this week and the trusses are due September ish. The "Addition" will be approximately 22 x 24 with 9 foot ceiling (to match the existing shop) and the trusses will be attic type so there will be an 11 foot wide by 24 foot long storage location. One garage door in the far side and a couple windows and a 3 foot door facing the house. Inside the existing shop will be a 4 foot wide access so I can roll the mill, lathes, sharpener, welding table etc etc into the new "Machine Shop" hopefully around the end of September
IMG_2563.JPG

Lots on the go here in New Brunswick with landscaping and getting things in order. We cleared out a great number of dead trees and now have a sweet view of the pond in the back. I cleared out, back filled and leveled out more of a yard at the back of the house and we planted grass, lawn rolled things and it is looking quite nice!

IMG_2541.JPG

A few more weeks of grass growing and some clearing at the pond side and things will be quite lovely!

I open them in paint, then resize them with the scale option. 50% usually gets it under the size limit. I'm surprised at this point, it's not just a right click menu option in windows.

Thanks Dan. I understand that this feature isn't universal in all versions of Windows. But is something Windows users can try.

Does this board support TapATalk anymore? I haven't used it in years but one nice feature was that it would reduce photo file size.

No it doesn't. We had to disable this feature some time ago because it was causing too many problems and was becoming a full time job.

We know that is a problem for members who use it on other forums, but it was a tough decision we had to make.

A few more weeks of grass growing and some clearing at the pond side and things will be quite lovely!

Is the pond yours Brent? Or just the shore?

We love our pond. It's about an acre at the rear of our back yard and our farm extends back from there. It also has a small island. It is a potential source of water for my crops if I ever needed it, but I have never had to. I keep a bubbler going in it all year long to keep the water fresh. We have a natural supply of large mouth bass that keeps the grand kids busy and entertained for hours. And I planted several varieties of beautiful hardy domestic water lilies for the view. Our only problem is predators - racoons, herons, geese, deer and cormorants.They eat the frogs and fish or crap all over the shore and sometimes the deer wade in and eat the lilies.

But in balance it is more of a treasure than a chore.

How did you do the photos?

We own about 10 feet into the pond on a slight angle. The woman that owns the land behind us has pretty much declared it a sanctuary and she has about 1000 acres. The pond runs from one end of our property down to the beaver dam about 4 houses down. Probably 3 or 4 acres ? Some trout in the pond and lots of frogs, heron, turtles, ducks etc.

Loaded photos to the computer and then selected them all, used image resizer to reduce to about 400k each. My photos ranged from 6 to 12 Mb

Is this for fluid circulation heating? If so what kind of medium (like glycol+) and pump system?
1722785191119.webp

We own about 10 feet into the pond on a slight angle.

That's enough to put in a few water lilies (highly recommend pink sensation and Joana Pring - great lilies to naturalize and beautiful too), and perhaps also do some fishing. But maybe not enough to keep the water fresh. Still, way better some than none!

Joana Pring
20240804_114654.jpg

Pink Sensation
20240804_114621.jpg

Both naturalize very easily and free flower all summer long starting in early summer and only slowing down when winter comes. You can get them shipped on-line. Just wrap a lead weight around the root and throw them in to 2 or 3ft of water.

Last edited:
@PeterT - yes, it will be a water/glycol system with a circulation pump and propane instant heater for heating the water mix. The mix will be probably a 40% ethylene glycol/water. Just one thermostat and 2 zones. I will put in a 3 zone manifold as I might put a radiator type zone in the wood shop to help the mini split when it gets really cold. Tubing was about $75 and the manifold was $150. Expansion tank is not required as there will be a header tank in the attic. Circ pump is one I had on hand from my other house

PHOTOS - size reduction
Last but not least, there is a free Apple App called "Image Size" on the Apple Store that is highly rated. It will resize photos among other capabilities. I don't have Apple products, so I can't try it or vouch for it, but maybe one of our Apple members (like @CWret or @gerritv or @DavidR8) can try it and comment.

I downloaded the “Image Size” app for my iPhone 12. I tried it by sending a couple test photos to Susq.
It worked great. Very easy to use.
I highly recommend it. (Didn’t even have to go to the app store, just click on link above.)

PHOTOS - size reduction

I downloaded the “Image Size” app for my iPhone 12. I tried it by sending a couple test photos to Susq.
I highly recommend it. (Didn’t even have to go to the app store, just click on link above.)

Thanks Craig! Sounds like we have found a solution for our iphone users.

@Brent H & @Ironman - please give it a try!

IMG_2568.jpeg

Here is a pic of the manifold that will be installed in the new shop for the radiant floor heating. It is adjustable for flow rate and can be zone controlled if needed.

The pic was reduced using the Image Size app. I tried the app and deleted it as it has pop up ads or pay $24.99 to stop the ads

I then tried “resize it” and it is free of ads and here is a pin and support I machined a few weeks ago to save an older style New Holland hay bailer.
IMG_2348-compressed.jpeg

IMG_2349-compressed.jpeg

So that image resizer seems to work well and does multiple images at the same time.

PHOTOS - size reduction

with my iPhone and tablet I just press the option button after choosing the pic that gives you the option of choosing the image size, like this one of the Olympic swimmer.

image0.jpeg

Oh boy, I’m so envious! Good for you that you’re following your dream.

I’m stuck in the middle of Winnipeg with a workshop in the basement. At least if I get my body sent up to Churchill I’ll be able to be re-animated one day if someone wants a laugh…

with my iPhone and tablet I just press the option button after choosing the pic that gives you the option of choosing the image size, like this one

Does that work after you click the "attach files" on the forum?

Good input @Brent H, @Tom O, & @CWret. I'll copy your posts to the new how-to forum section when it is up and running.

Brent, I appreciate that you don't like ads, I don't either. But sometimes it's a better choice than paying for something you only need once in a while. I'm glad that "Resize It" works better for you.

Craig - I know you are happy now, but you should try ResizeIt. You might be even happier.

Both of you should try what @Tom O does.

Yes … attach file, choose the pic, push the option button, I hit medium, then add pic and it uploads.

Perfect! I think this is what I remembered another member saying a year or so ago. Maybe it was you!

@CWret - could you please try this? It might be the easiest option of all...... Albeit perhaps not quite as powerful as total size control.

Back