• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

BaitMaster’s (Work) Bench

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If we get drawings it would be worth it in the sweet by and by.
I talked with them a couple of years ago looking for serial number info and apparently there was a fire sometime in the 90's that destroyed most of the info for the older lathes. LeBlond has some drawings and can make parts and pieces but very spendy.

BaitMaster

Super User
Is there a tach in your future? This is the one I have on my lathe, works well and reads down to 20ish rpm.

They're available in red and blue as well. The switch is for tach power, a dual voltage wall wart.
View attachment 43095
With your skill at selling me on that very reasonably priced Tach i checked to make sure that thing wasn't coming from the YotaBota amazon store!

That looks super reasonable. I could potentially integrate one of those for a very reasonable dollar....

As far as the SM stuff is concerned, it would be sweet to get drawings, but if they can't supply them then that is that.

Of course everything can be reverse engineered given the time and effort put in.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I talked with them a couple of years ago looking for serial number info and apparently there was a fire sometime in the 90's that destroyed most of the info for the older lathes.
Did you have any luck with your serial number was there any added info or history that you found.
I have been milling around contacting them, curious to see if there would be any value in contacting them about it? Thks

BaitMaster

Super User
Our lathes are not very far apart at all. 820 lathes between them….

I was reading your old improvement thread @Brent H and my lathe has the same ‘Standard-Modern’ riveted plaque that yours does, and not the cast in ‘Modern’ that appears pictured in the manuals….. definitely made on the same assembly line from the same parts…. Mine just being slightly longer in the ways department.

Solid old machines…..

BaitMaster

Super User
I mean just send me whatever you have, if you don’t mind. No rush at all though.

I’m dealing with documentation and electrical drawings all day long so I just kind of have a thing for drawings….. I just like having them

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Ok guys next tool: band saw.
LOL. There's a guy on YT who does a fair amount of machining vids (can't recall the channel now), he uses a hacksaw all the time, even for large diameter stuff. I'm always hollering at the screen, "Somebody, please, buy that guy a bandsaw!"

Tecnico

(Dave)
LOL.... been there done that. I have a power hacksaw I'm ready to pass along now. $80 (what I payed for it) located in Calgary. Overkill 3/4 HP motor. Slow but beats the heck out of a manual hacksaw.

Will that fit in a CP Flat Rate box, lol!

I think I’m going to wind up building one….Project 42.

D :cool:

BaitMaster

Super User
LOL. There's a guy on YT who does a fair amount of machining vids (can't recall the channel now), he uses a hacksaw all the time, even for large diameter stuff. I'm always hollering at the screen, "Somebody, please, buy that guy a bandsaw!"
Man you would have been hollering that at me tonight. That’s like 2.5” (maybe don’t know for sure) 4130.

Pain in the rear.
LOL.... been there done that. I have a power hacksaw I'm ready to pass along now. $80 (what I payed for it) located in Calgary. Overkill 3/4 HP motor. Slow but beats the heck out of a manual hacksaw.

Man that would. I’ve been eyeing up the bandsaws for awhile. A power hacksaw isn’t something I’ve ever seen in the flesh or considered haha. I had to google it to know what it was right now!! Haha
I think I’m going to wind up building one….Project 42.

I’ve thought about it. It would be a cool project. What size would you build?

Tecnico

(Dave)
I’ve thought about it. It would be a cool project. What size would you build?

I’m not exactly sure how to measure that.

The ones I have seen generally have a blade that’s more than an inch high so not at all the same as a hand saw. Lengths seem to be maybe 14” - 20”. They’re not cheap either but they’re a lot less expensive than a cheap band saw!

I have some design work to do lol!