• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

BaitMaster’s (Work) Bench

BaitMaster

Super User
Thought I would give an update on my situation.

Really appreciate this forum, it gave me the encouragement to get started with machining and to rebuild my mill.

The mill is done! And running. I had to make a few more parts for it along the way on my lathe, but it got done.

I’m working on a few different things and trying to accomplish some dual Mill/lathe tasks.

I’ve made numerous successful repairs on stuff around the house/garage, none of which I would have been able to accomplish without my mill or lathe.

One of the projects that I took pictures of was this stud/clamp peice for my favourite sliding t square that has been broken for many years. Could I have bought a new one cheaper then my 2 hours working on it? Yes. Could I have learned as much or been as proud at the end result? No way! Here’s the two studs and the square.

Thanks for everything fellas.

Attachments

• 1DD6D5D5-D521-4881-B57A-8CF9A9A61D9B.jpeg
    1DD6D5D5-D521-4881-B57A-8CF9A9A61D9B.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 6B25BBC7-B69C-4D23-9CB0-20C8141D1E02.jpeg
    6B25BBC7-B69C-4D23-9CB0-20C8141D1E02.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 102
  • AA54B918-EF31-473A-884D-6AAC113183CE.jpeg
    AA54B918-EF31-473A-884D-6AAC113183CE.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 97
  • F3617DDD-50D9-40E6-A2ED-EA35EDAA7EAB.jpeg
    F3617DDD-50D9-40E6-A2ED-EA35EDAA7EAB.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 613A3307-8482-4A5C-A1D6-4A8C15C65781.jpeg
    613A3307-8482-4A5C-A1D6-4A8C15C65781.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1E6B1481-B94F-45DF-97C5-0643B07470CE.jpeg
    1E6B1481-B94F-45DF-97C5-0643B07470CE.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DB412D7D-F2F8-4E6E-A77F-A945C081E77A.jpeg
    DB412D7D-F2F8-4E6E-A77F-A945C081E77A.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 72

BaitMaster

Super User
@Brent H It works great too! I think both it and the mill came from a school. So very little use, but the use it had was very negligent….

The Lathe escaped with its dignity with some minor cosmetic issues and caked on dried oil I haven’t wiped off yet……

The mill was a different story.

I do love the lathe.

BaitMaster

Super User
I do not know what LD stands for @thestelster …. Maybe someone knows?

They are fairly well known and a lot of people on the forum have the old Standard Modern Utilathes of various sizes or the 2000 series which was similar.

They are nice old machines according to both what I’ve read and my experience with mine.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I do not know what LD stands for @thestelster …. Maybe someone knows?

They are fairly well known and a lot of people on the forum have the old Standard Modern Utilathes of various sizes or the 2000 series which was similar.

They are nice old machines according to both what I’ve read and my experience with mine.
Yes, they're great lathes. I have the 1654 Utilathe. Brent has 2 SM's, one of which is metric! Craig, @YYCHM has a SM too. Maybe we should start our own Standard Modern section!

Brent H

Ultra Member
From what I believe the 10”/12” originals and the 11”/13” Utilathe all came out as “LD” or Light Duty? And they also produced a 12”/14”/16” model Utilathe that was the “STD” or what I believe would be “Standard Duty” these lathes are much bigger than the LD Utilathe with 30” and 54” between centres with weights for each machine ranging from 1800 to 2500 lbs.

BaitMaster

Super User
She is all regreased! The jokes are as widely sourced and varied as the machines of the users on here..... everywhere from Simon and garfunkel to american pie! Well done gents.

I took our shared love for the SM Utilathes to heart, and decided to try my hand at writing SM / Racer requesting some more engineering information for these old girls.... I know it would come much in handy to me and to us as I'm almost sure we are all missing some sort of piece for our girls. I know its a shot in the dark but hey, worth a stab.

Here is what I wrote:

Hello,

I am making this inquiry for the purpose of asking for additional documentation to do with the older Utilathe line of lathes, of which I own one.

I am part of an online community, which can be found at canadianhobbymetalworkers.com.

We are an active and passionate hobby centered metalworking community, and your lathes are always regarded with the utmost respect, and highly recommended and coveted among the membership when a used lathe does come available for the right price.

Being a hobby community, not for business or profit seeking purposes, we obviously don't have as much available capital as a group of businesses, so we are not members of your typical customer demographic. We by and large do not have the funds to purchase any of your products new, as they are at the upper end of the market segment (deservedly when the quality is taken into consideration), so most of the members who own a lathe from your company own an older machine of the Utilathe variety. There are perhaps 20 members that own (and love) their Utilathe, including myself. I own a 1230 LD Utilathe.

Our community and myself, love your lathes. We view them highly and love to run them. However, because of the age of the lathes, they lack certain capabilities in most configurations (Metric Threading), and obtaining spare parts especially add-on parts such as steady/follow rests, taper attachments, the metric change gear set and retrofit kit we understand you have made for the lathes, specifically for certain educational institutions, can be difficult.

We do understand that your company does provide re-manufactured spare parts for these lathes, as well as a free download of the "operation manuals" which is a testament to your commitment to your products and commitment to service which is commendable. However, members have received quotes before and the quotes that came back were not in the "hobbiest" price range, which is fine, considering the quality of the machines.

We have partly undertaken the task the reverse engineering certain parts of the lathes and have attempted (and succeeded) in some cases to make adequate designs for certain desirable parts from our own work and devices, and to build them out of scrap, free or cheap materials in our home shops to improve our experience with the lathes, which shows how committed we are to using and enjoying your products.

What I am asking for is this: Engineering drawings for the Utilathe line of lathes, minus the main castings, showing and including steady/follow rests, taper attachments, metric change gear retrofit kits, gears, carriages, cross and compound parts, etc. Only for the much outdated Utilathes, not for other products.

If provided, this would allow us to much more easily continue to use and enjoy your products, which we love, and to make modifications to them and produce the parts, bootstrapped, that we are each missing with our own elbow grease (which we have much of) and not spend thousands of dollars purchasing (which we don't have much of).

This would be a great help to us, and in my eyes, of little risk to your company, considering the age of the lathes and of the designs, and the fact that your product has evolved many, many generations since the Utilathe. The other factor being, with a finite and ever decreasing number of the Utilathe machines being in existence every year, the market for spare parts is undoubtedly almost non existent. The user base for the Utilathe machines without debate has moved from institutions and business use, and shifted to a secondary and tertiary market of garage based weekend warrior enthusiasts like us, with limited funds but plenty of time and motivation.

We would be greatly pleased to be gifted that information, so that we can continue to run our Standard-Modern Lathes for many years to come. This would be a massive show of goodwill to the hobbiest/maker community in our country and would undoubtedly win much goodwill with us, and all those who have ears to hear from us.

Thank you for your time, and for your careful consideration of my request.

We will see what they say, maybe you guys think I'm nuts for asking, or my writing sucks, but hey.

If we get drawings it would be worth it in the sweet by and by.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Here’s hoping for a positive response including data applicable to my recently acquired 1120 Series 2000.

D :cool:

BaitMaster

Super User
Nothing back from SM but life goes on.

Got an excellent deal on this little guy…. See what I can get done this weekend bringing the old Utilathe into the 21st century….

Attachments

• A2E37B7A-BB38-440D-B4FF-DA0380EC009A.jpeg
    A2E37B7A-BB38-440D-B4FF-DA0380EC009A.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 309BDD59-E3BE-4616-9BCD-EADDA68303A9.jpeg
    309BDD59-E3BE-4616-9BCD-EADDA68303A9.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 15

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Got an excellent deal on this little guy…. See what I can get done this weekend bringing the old Utilathe into the 21st century….

I put a motor with a frame like that on my mill. All it took was an adapter plate that accepted the end bolts on the motor and a bigger flange to fit the mill. I was very happy when the dust cleared. This problem too will be simple when solved.

BaitMaster

Super User
This is technically the frame size of motor that is on there right now… and the same shaft diameter…. So all I will have to do is wire her up to a drive should be good.

I have an older Altivar 31 that I got for free from a customer that was throwing it out….. so that’s an even better deal.

I’m looking forward to being able to get above 1500rpm on my lathe. More suited to the carbide tooling I seem to stumble upon…..

BaitMaster

Super User
Well I mean options are nice! Below 70, above 1500, it all will be possible with the VFD!!!

It will also be nice to have a longer accel time and not shock the gear train as much. All in all a great upgrade.

Being able to get the proper SFPM for any tool type will be nice.

Going lower will be nice too especially for parting.