Anybody want anything from Ontario?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Nice cow catcher! Betcha don't see those in Ont. How come your to-do list included cutting the stacks down? They look pretty cool to me? Trying to figure out you battery wiring..... 4-12V in series? What needs 48V? Or is it 4 in parallel?
4 12v wired to give you 12v.

Stacks- I only have a 12’ high door at the shop

Thanks! That moose bumper is sweet, pull a pin and it folds down, pretty slick

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Dave,

How is the electrical system? Better than the old truck? The cow catcher will give those American boys something to think about before they change lanes...hahahaha

Chicken lights

Hey Dave,

How is the electrical system? Better than the old truck? The cow catcher will give those American boys something to think about before they change lanes...hahahaha
Time will tell

Hey uh think this could fit in your shop for a once over? Just for a month or three :D

Brent H

Ultra Member
Your doors are 12' high and the stacks are tall mine are only 8' - sadly it would have to sit in the driveway! When are you starting the big drive back? You will need to start a list of stuff to "get fixed" :)

Chicken lights

I’m planning on leaving in the morning with it. I’ll dump it at the main yard they will do a “pre-hire” safety on it for me, that’ll be one list. Then the other list will be my wish list to get it rigged out.

I do know one thing it’s getting train horns. The current air horn is lacking

Chicken lights

DF0AE57D-7955-45F8-ABD6-2A22988202A0.jpeg
6F831835-9AE3-4CAE-994A-DC5C9377821A.jpeg
I was blessed to get a turkey supper with relative strangers yesterday, my buddies friends gave me a plate. Met a cool old cat who shared a bunch of old trucking stories at the supper table.

Not a bad way to start the trip.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Good morning Chicken lights, the start of another beautiful day here on the prairies. Envy your trip east given all the fantastic fall scenery your going to view. Your good friends on this forum wish you a safe and speedy trip home!

In your post #615 to this thread you mentioned this 'Basically the same truck as what I have now just a couple years newer, a few hundred thousand less miles and slightly heavier spec. It was more or less a pavement princess most of its life but being from out west, you guys spec trucks heavier.' In what way are trucks specked out heavier, do you mean a longer chasey or the mobile hotel / sleepover? Just asking.

Chicken lights

Good morning Chicken lights, the start of another beautiful day here on the prairies. Envy your trip east given all the fantastic fall scenery your going to view. Your good friends on this forum wish you a safe and speedy trip home!

In your post #615 to this thread you mentioned this 'Basically the same truck as what I have now just a couple years newer, a few hundred thousand less miles and slightly heavier spec. It was more or less a pavement princess most of its life but being from out west, you guys spec trucks heavier.' In what way are trucks specked out heavier, do you mean a longer chasey or the mobile hotel / sleepover? Just asking.
You might not understand some of it, just because of the lingo
Old truck has a 13 speed tranny, new one has an 18 speed (more gears just means moving heavier things is easier)
Old truck doesn’t have a differential lock (most trucks you have a power divider to lock both axles, differential lock locks up one axle)
Heavier drive axles (carry more weight)

Just a few things like that, that most Eastern trucks don’t have

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
20 miles and the first whoopsie, black as tar. Hopefully a simple fix keep us posted.....

Understood not all trucks come equipped with the same features and why should they! LOL

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
First whoopsie. I’m hoping it’s the oil filter I can’t see any other reason for that
Other than that so far so good?

I mean we made it 20 miles before breaking something :D

:oops: Is this a must fix before proceeding further problem??? Is oil that color typical of a diesel engine?

Last edited:

Chicken lights

:oops: Is this a must fix before proceeding further problem??? Is oil that color typical of a diesel engine?
Buddy brought me another filter hopefully that’s got it fixed
That’s differential oil, not engine oil. If that didn’t fix it I’ll just keep adding oil to get me home. Not fun but I’ve done it a couple times before

historicalarms

Ultra Member
You might not understand some of it, just because of the lingo
Old truck has a 13 speed tranny, new one has an 18 speed (more gears just means moving heavier things is easier)
Old truck doesn’t have a differential lock (most trucks you have a power divider to lock both axles, differential lock locks up one axle)
Heavier drive axles (carry more weight)

Just a few things like that, that most Eastern trucks don’t have

"chains on the dash" is a good thing to have.

Dusty, lots of ways to "heavy spec' a truck...rear ends start at 38,000 lb (pulling tandem trailers only on highway) rating and went up to 46,000 lb ( when I was trucking, might be heavier spec available now) for jerking super B's of various configurations on most any terrain. As Dave mentioned Transmissions can be rated by gear #'s, 10 sp,13sp, 15sp,18sp being the most common...also can be rated by engine ft lb of torque they can safely handle, from 95 flb( body jobs) to 156 flb. again super B's. Front axles can be speced from 9000 lb to 16000 lbs....Everything to make them withstand the abuse of us operators

All the above is OEM options and we added aftermarket skid plates & frame fishplates to "over engineer" off road stuff substantially...but every bit of "heavy spec" reduced the payload by a comparable amount so lots of head scratching goes into specing a truck out for specific purposes.