• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Anybody want anything from Ontario?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
We made Wawa ON today

Second whoopsie, the lug nuts on the steer tires were loose. Hopefully the rims are ok, we’ll add them to the list but we just trying to get home

Damn Dave, I have a 800 lb torque test wrench here that I will never use again in a hundred yrs...cant hardly lift it anymore let alone torque something to 500 lbs...I should have given it to you this spring but it never entered my mind until you mentioned loose nuts...I would be very surprised if the alum rims aren't screwed already

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Damn Dave, I have a 800 lb torque test wrench here that I will never use again in a hundred yrs...cant hardly lift it anymore let alone torque something to 500 lbs...I should have given it to you this spring but it never entered my mind until you mentioned loose nuts...I would be very surprised if the alum rims aren't screwed already
That’s a kind offer, but I already have one at the shop. You should be able to sell that easily? It’s tough to part with tools in case you might ever use it again
Thanks though!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Soooo cool. I love that kind of stuff.

Apple Gun? As in shoots apples to the critters????

historicalarms

Ultra Member
They were using them for target practise on some steel targets
Like a carnival shooting gallery, but Texas sized

Haven't "been there" but have sure "done that"...AB. style.

Im not sure if I showed you the steel target I have in my shop that a trained artillery Warrant Officer in the Canadian forces hit with my small smoothbore (1 5/8 bore) cannon at 100 yards...He had a grin a mile wide and his comment " I was trained to hit targets 7 miles away and did so regularly but damn , nothing is better than this " !!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Haven't "been there" but have sure "done that"...AB. style.

Im not sure if I showed you the steel target I have in my shop that a trained artillery Warrant Officer in the Canadian forces hit with my small smoothbore (1 5/8 bore) cannon at 100 yards...He had a grin a mile wide and his comment " I was trained to hit targets 7 miles away and did so regularly but damn , nothing is better than this " !!

We retired military guys aren't just another pretty face ya know, just look at my mug shot! LOL

historicalarms

Ultra Member
We retired military guys aren't just another pretty face ya know, just look at my mug shot! LOL

His reaction to hitting that 100 yard target with my archaic homemade civil war replica was very interesting to me...he said that although he was trained in all aspects of modern artillery sighting & firing, he had never, in 14 yrs. in an artillery brigade, ever loaded or pulled the trigger at any time, that was always done by the gun crews he commanded. This was the first time he had loaded-sighted-and pulled the trigger (actually lit the fuse in this case) on an artillery piece...He says he always thought about "ordering" someone on a gun crew to step aside but always though of that as an incursion into their rightful domain so didn't.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
We never got an overall review of the new ride?

What needs to be fixed, what doesn't?

Craig

Chicken lights

96B6012F-78B6-4B0F-9715-FC609CA52C60.jpeg
First step was getting it cleaned out.

There’s a bunch of “extra” stuff left over from a genset and an HVAC unit that needs deleting. The RH part of that pile is a good start on that.

The engine oil cooler needs doing. Steer tires needed for safety. It needs air lines and electrical for the trailer hookups. There’s “extra” switches that need deleting in the dash. Any “extra” wiring can get deleted. Needs work lights installed. Should have all the filters changed and a full service done. I want to get a Davco fuel filter on there very soon.

Been scrounging parts at wrecking yards as I can. I’m gonna try to get home tonight and run the grey truck to the main yard tomorrow, they’ll look it over safety wise and give me another list

Chicken lights

I’m up north, near Hearst ON. I got suckered into taking a dry van up here. Family from southern Ontario bought a farm up here and hired us to move most of their stuff up here. Now I’ve helped plenty of folks move but never a 53’ long trailer full. Took close to 4 hours with 5-6 people helping to unload everything. (I kept things organized in the trailer keeping a steady flow going, that’s the biggest thing I’ve found is just keep everyone moving)

Kinda on the fence about this run. I am not a bedbugger (moving truck driver) and I hate pulling a dry van on the best of days. But I like small town country folk Canadians, and it was kinda neat to help give someone a hand start a new life on a new farm.

But if any of you guys tell dispatch I said that....:D

Chicken lights

864D4060-6557-4D83-9F40-7687B4E9D143.jpeg
Grey truck started acting up once it was home. Attempting to take it in to get safetied she made the end of the driveway.
Rather ingloriously we called a tow truck to park it back at the shop

But I could get a pic of the sisters together so I mean it’s not a total loss. I think

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I know this is a long shot but is there someone that makes regular trips from Ontario to Alberta?
There is a bench grinder out in Dundas that I would like

Chicken lights

So I know this is a long shot but is there someone that makes regular trips from Ontario to Alberta?
There is a bench grinder out in Dundas that I would like
You might try places like Manitoulin or Challenger, they might be able to bounce it out west as LTL freight reasonably. Then pick it up at a cross dock that’s close to you.