• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

9" Utilathe Follower Rest

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Johns picture is better than mine. Anyways if the ring has become distorted by quality issue or installation, or the nut seat has become distorted or fouled, then the collet may not seat properly. If you gronk on a collet in a very localized area like its nose, its also possible to distort it. It may still grip but potentially loose accuracy. ER's are more forgiving than 5C & other more restricted size collets, but anyways those could be some things to look for.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know this wasn't your question or issue but generally if you ever have the opportunity to clamp things to gain more/maximum contact area, its inevitably better. Less chance of something moving under force, vibration, heat. For example maybe you could shift the part over to the right & deeper in the vise, let the corner hang out the bottom a bit to the side of the vise way. This may not have been possible but you get the idea just eyeballing the potential area difference. This issue is worse yet with unfinished rougher surface vs skim because your nice flat vise jaws see that surface as a bunch of little hill tops, isolated contact points vs the entire projected surface. Anyways, not a critique, just a friendly tip that might extend the life of a tool or part. Sometimes clamping directly across a big (thin wall) hole can create new problems, but thats kind of different again. You have lots of meat in this part.

Attachments

• EDT-2021-06-30 001.jpg
    EDT-2021-06-30 001.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I know this wasn't your question or issue but generally if you ever have the opportunity to clamp things to gain more/maximum contact area, its inevitably better. Less chance of something moving under force, vibration, heat. For example maybe you could shift the part over to the right & deeper in the vise, let the corner hang out the bottom a bit to the side of the vise way. This may not have been possible but you get the idea just eyeballing the potential area difference. This issue is worse yet with unfinished rougher surface vs skim because your nice flat vise jaws see that surface as a bunch of little hill tops, isolated contact points vs the entire projected surface. Anyways, not a critique, just a friendly tip that might extend the life of a tool or part. Sometimes clamping directly across a big (thin wall) hole can create new problems, but thats kind of different again. You have lots of meat in this part.

Ya, a lot of my setups on this one were iffy, it's shape just made it awkward to deal with. Was considering switching to angle plates at one point.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
- if you heard the collet go click (installed properly) look to see if the ring is distorted/damaged

I checked my other collets and you're right, they click into place in the nut. All of them, except the 13mm. A closer look revealed that it's badly messed up, inside and out. This will be the second 13mm collet I've replaced?

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I checked my other collets and you're right, they click into place in the nut. All of them, except the 13mm. A closer look revealed that it's badly messed up, inside and out. This will be the second 13mm collet I've replaced?

Hey Craig, was wondering why your 13mm collet is messed up where all other appear to work fine and the collet chuck nut seems ok? Sounds strange to me.

Accusize has individual ER style collets see page 31 bottom left of page. Also Page 29 top right for collet chuck nuts. check out their attached catalogue as referenced.

https://accusizetools.com/

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig, was wondering why your 13mm collet is messed up where all other appear to work fine and the collet chuck nut seems ok? Sounds strange to me.

Probably because I do more 1/2" drilling than anything else. The collets do double duty on both the mill and the lathe and drilling 1/2" and up tends to give me the most grief.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
More progress...

Fitment1.JPG

Located and drilled and tapped the upright 1/4-20, then assembled for a test fitment. Looks pretty good to me for a mill to the line project. Upright needs to be lowered a smidge.

Fitment2.JPG

The easiest thing to setup and do was mill the base legs down a little. Took them down 0.06 in three stages, checking the alignment after each pass.

Fitment3.JPG

Looks good to me, I'll think I'll call her done. Support finger locking screws next and maybe counter sink the upright mounting SHCS a bit (that or switch to a flat head screw). I'm also thinking welding the two assemblies together might be a good idea any thoughts?.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Looking good I’d put in a smaller dia 1/4 or 3/8 dia to get a better look at it or if your tool is at centre height use it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looking good I’d put in a smaller dia 1/4 or 3/8 dia to get a better look at it or if your tool is at centre height use it.

The tool test indicated I was pretty much spot on......

Fitment4.JPG

This however indicates I need to come down a bit and right a smidge. Coming down isn't an issue but offsetting right will be.

Worth putzing with?

Tom O

Ultra Member
I would put a wider flat on the end to compensate then try it out I would think the forces would be to lift and push on around a 45* angle to the upper rear.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Turn your points off center ==> would give you fine tuning adjustability. Then you can leave the frame alone.

That's brilliant..... Have to think on this now. I was planning on cutting a keyway on the support fingers (?don't know if there is a proper name them?) such that locking set screws would enter the keyway rather than mar/damage the finger surface and make future adjustment a challenge. That arrangement would negate the ability to rotate them.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
See about how much off center you need to be. Then either make a small flat (what I would do [& @Tom O is suggesting] and include brass buttons) or turn the point and install. Rotate as required for best alignment. Mark. Mill anti-rotation groove (or a flat as you plan) in the corresponding location. Done.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you go for a flat, you can install the fingers and run a part. Put light pressure on the part. Leave it run for a bit without lubrication. the part will leave a nice line where it tangentially contacts your push fingers. The true center of contact is on that line. That will give you a visual indication of how much off of the geometric finger center the contact point is.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
See about how much off center you need to be. Then either make a small flat (what I would do [& @Tom O is suggesting] and include brass buttons) or turn the point and install. Rotate as required for best alignment. Mark. Mill anti-rotation groove (or a flat as you plan) in the corresponding location. Done.

Going a step further..... how does one install brass buttons?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you use brass tips on the fingers, they will just wear in to the true center of contact. Might not be worth to mess with the alignment in the first place as long as you are reasonably close - which you seem to be.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
how does one install brass buttons?

Drill a hole in the tip of the fingers. Make an interference fit on the brass pin and press it into the hole. Leave about 1/4” brass sticking out. That would be the simplest way. You could go fancy and machine the brass in the shape of a flat mushroom top: the stem is still an interference fit into the drilled hole. If you miss the fit dimensions, just use red locktite and glue in the tips.

If the tips ever wear out, just cut them off, drill the old brass out of the hole and insert a new brass tip.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Drill a hole in the tip of the fingers. Make an interference fit on the brass pin and press it into the hole. Leave about 1/4” brass sticking out. That would be the simplest way. You could go fancy and machine the brass in the shape of a flat mushroom top: the stem is still an interference fit into the drilled hole. If you miss the fit dimensions, just use red locktite and glue in the tips.

If the tips ever wear out, just cut them off, drill the old brass out of the hole and insert a new brass tip.

How big of a hole for a 1/2" finger?