9" Utilathe Follower Rest

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would try it. If you get too much chatter, you can always go to plan B. Can’t walk away from it though, this is a babysitting job, ready to hit the e-stop.

Ian Moss

Our local abrasive water-jet cutting shop has a minimum of $75, and that would probably cut all your parts and save a lot of time and tooling.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yup, I'm looking at that now. Might need a guide fence, it's too long a cut to free hand.

You need a tool, so you can make another tool, so you can make tools for the tools !

Great to see a project underway Craig. We've had too many shopping posts lately and not enough chips!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Two shorter cuts is all I thought are you worried about the blade or the cut?

Was worried about the blade not tracking straight down or shaking the work piece loose. It's way beyond the metrics of a 4X6 bandsaw in that configuration.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What a PITA....

BSCut1.JPG

The cut started arcing over towards the line (other side).

BSCut2.JPG

So, I had to stop and remove the piece that was cut so far.

BSCut3.JPG

Then reposition to continue the cut.

BSCut4.JPG

Sad, sad waste of some nice 1" stock.

BSCut5.JPG

This saw has been fighting me every inch of the way.... How the heck are you supposed to clamp something like this.

BSCut6.JPG

As a result I've had to resort to a LOT of this.....

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The knawing continues. Ran out of bandsaw options so let the milling begin.

Milling1.JPG

Milling2.JPG

Milling3.JPG

Milling4.JPG

Milling5.JPG

Milling6.JPG

Milling7.JPG

Phew.... between fighting with the bandsaw and the mill work that thar piece took me all day to do.

Sad, but true.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think your bandsaw blade has lost a couple of teeth on one side - that’s why your cut started to curve.

Good progress, under difficult conditions!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This project kind of stalled for some reason....

FinalShaping.JPG

But today, I finally finished the last of the profile shaping. Need to do some drilling next.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Did some drilling today....it was kind of nice to hide in the basement and get away from the heat upstairs.

Drilling1.JPG

Lots of swarf.

Drilling2.JPG

Not perfect but should be close enough I figure.....

StuckCollet.JPG

You guys ever encounter this? That collet refused to come out with the nut. With the nut off I had to give it a gentle nudge with a brass punch.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The nut should have pulled the collet loose. The collet wasn’t inserted in the nut completely or the nut is damaged.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Today I was cutting a 10” piece of 5/8“ vertically. I gave myself plenty of allowance for the blade to wander. Wouldn’t you know it, the damn thing cut as straight as an arrow. Now I have to whittle away more chips.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Today I was cutting a 10” piece of 5/8“ vertically. I gave myself plenty of allowance for the blade to wander. Wouldn’t you know it, the damn thing cut as straight as an arrow. Now I have to whittle away more chips.

They say it's Murphey's Law whoever they are!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As Johnwa said. Also
- if you heard the collet go click (installed properly) look to see if the ring is distorted/damaged
- another possibility is if its a reduced shank drill, there will be a small radius in the corner where the shank ends. If you pushed the drill in so the collet nose was gripping on that slight fillet enlargement then it would not be properly gripping on the bulk of its ID surface & now its kind of hanging on that fillet so to speak.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

1625096801503.png

In my case I think I shot myself in the foot from the get go.... I started out attempting to cut the piece with the bandsaw in the vertical and that cut wonder off on me. I then attempted to cut it horizontally following the initial cut hoping it would sort itself out. It didn't.