Dan Dubeau
Ultra Member
My wife sits on her couch and watches her shows on her phone while she knits. I sit on my couch and watch my stuff on my laptop. The 60" big screen in the middle of the room sits blank....About the only thing I watch on the bigscreen is MotoGP.I can never understand why someone has a 70" big screen TV and watches a movie on a 3" smart phone screen.
As for 3D printing, the great question is how do I take an idea that I can see being machined from a block of aluminum and now make that happen on a 3D printer? CAD? And if so, how complicated is that program for that to happen?
As I read through the post, many that have a great amount of knowledge on the subject jump in and comment with terms that I now have to Google to figure out what they are talking about. Somehow I missed what Benchy is, google stated that it was tug boat. How did a table with 4 legs turn into a Tug Boat? Then there a lot of terms that I just don't know the meaning. Like anything else, for me to learn I have to have a want. To get past the want and to build I need to understand the method, so far that is murky.
Cad is the path you want to creating your own models. It's as easy or complicated as you want or need. Tinker cad is a pretty simple interface, and easy to pickup if you want to just make simple shapes like drawer organizers, or things like collet holders. A more complex cad system would be needed for making something like a engine block casting pattern....But some people are wizards of tinkercad. I personally like Rhino. Been using it for over 20 years now so it fits like a glove, and most of my designs come from it. Very cheap considering how powerful it is.
"benchy" got it's name because it was a whimsical little print that was the "benchmark" all 3d printer owners/builders/tinkerers could easily and relatively quickly print to see how their printers stack up against others. Both in quality, and in print time. It's become somewhat obsolete now that they're printed so quick and easily, but back in the day it was something more than just a toy boat.... What seems like a simple print used to actually be a challenging one with retracts, and overhangs curved vertical walls etc...It tested all aspects of your 3d printer build hardware and software.



