• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Yipeee... Got my second Covid shot today......

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Chicken lights Go west young man...…..

Alberta is to this state now
  • Many pharmacies have walk-in availability for first doses.
Off topic- if I did “go west young man” do I aim for Calgary or Edmonton then start looking for work? I’m sure @historicalarms has contacts still but I can’t plan on camping in his backyard for 6 months

As much as I make fun of Saskatchewan I honestly like that province, is Saskatoon or Regina a good spot looking for work?

I kinda think BC is a no but maybe the BC boys can change my mind @YotaBota & @David_R8

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Off topic- if I did “go west young man” do I aim for Calgary or Edmonton then start looking for work? I’m sure @historicalarms has contacts still but I can’t plan on camping in his backyard for 6 months[/USER]

Are you free lancing your hauling services now? I'm not sure moving west is such a great idea these days as AB's economy is still pretty depressed. Just thought maybe you could snag a load destined for AB and grab a dose/shot in the process. Seems to me that earlier trip west snow balled into several weeks worth of ping pong runs before you finally made it back to ON.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Dont think there is a lot of reliable "good money" jobs left in AB. Most of the hi-boy, hay rack trucking here now is steel from the west beach & dimensional lumber from forested areas of the province. I have one buddy still active in the construction/heavy haul trucking business, he has 5 trucks but only one small body job plated for the last two years.
There may be steady "north-south" work still to be had but I bet it is being bid into the ground these days. Pretty much any truck yard in any industrial area these days has an abundance of iron sitting.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm from AB, but I'm looking to move to B.C. if I can swing it before I'm too old. Treatment of seniors there is superb, and there are a lot of advantages... Yes, there are disadvantages, but I'm looking to relocate in the north of the province where there is less pop density...

..... I'm looking to relocate in the north of the province where there is less pop density...

I can definitely relate to the appeal of being out in the back woods but less pop density usually means less accessible health care. The older you get the more likely you are going to need your health care. My in laws did something like this. They had a life long dream of having a small farm on the Azores. When they retired they moved to a beautiful small villa with a small farm on the Azores. They lived there for a couple of years and then were forced back to Canada for the medical care.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
less accessible health care

Right you are. Our intention is to be within 1/2 hour of a major medical centre, Prince George, Smithers, etc. I just don't want to be butted against neighbours - The City has worn me out.

[update] My second shot went well, few (very) minor symptoms - just enough to know it is working!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Both the wife and myself got our second shot yesterday and today we both feel sore all over. Me of course feels worse, cuz I'm a man.

francist

Super User
My brother-in-law has been having having a heck of a time with his second shot. Sore arm, body aches, and even a fever which he hasn’t had since he was a kid. I think he had the Moderna.
I’m still another month or so away from the second Pfizer.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My brother-in-law has been having having a heck of a time with his second shot. Sore arm, body aches, and even a fever which he hasn’t had since he was a kid. I think he had the Moderna.
I’m still another month or so away from the second Pfizer.
I had the Moderna the first time and had very little symptoms. Yesterday's was Pfizer and I think I'm getting worse as the day goes on. Responses seem to be very individualistic. However it still feels good to be able to feel protected and to see how the number of cases have changed over the last month or so.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I had no reaction the day of my second (both Phizer) but hives started to appear the second day after and every day since, going on 10 days now.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had no reaction the day of my second (both Phizer) but hives started to appear the second day after and every day since, going on 10 days now.
Wow and you still have hives? Are they painful? I hadn't heard of that reaction. Did you inquire about that ( I kinda think it wouldn't hurt if you haven't).

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
My inlaws used to lived in Quesnel beautiful country up in that area but I didn't like the pulp mill smell the first time we went out there it was quite strong when we got there and being a prairie boy I thought the smell was only there during the day when the mill ran but as I soon found out it was all the time I never really got used to it but everyone else seemed fine with it. They retired to Grand forks which is nice as well. Definitely the city life wears on you it would be nice to have a few acres in the bush with a nice shop.
Right you are. Our intention is to be within 1/2 hour of a major medical centre, Prince George, Smithers, etc. I just don't want to be butted against neighbours - The City has worn me out.

[update] My second shot went well, few (very) minor symptoms - just enough to know it is working!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Second shot (Pfizer ) yesterday. Arm is a little sore, but had a mishap in the shop yesterday (stupidity on my part) that has put a monopoly on pain receptors .

I was dragging an eight foot piece of 4x4 square tube (1/2” wall) into the shop. Stood it up to help if over the threshold of the door and then tripped falling backwards ….. with the steel coming with me.

Managed to roll as I fell and caught the brunt of it on my collar bone and it just grazed the back of my head…. Ended up on tips of my fingers (good god that hurt)

All deserved, no excuses …. Nothing broken, but Probably going to lose a couple of finger nails….. but am lucky to be typing this

Back in shop today to continue …..

Safety first boys and girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Second shot (Pfizer ) yesterday. Arm is a little sore, but had a mishap in the shop yesterday (stupidity on my part) that has put a monopoly on pain receptors .

I was dragging an eight foot piece of 4x4 square tube (1/2” wall) into the shop. Stood it up to help if over the threshold of the door and then tripped falling backwards ….. with the steel coming with me.

Managed to roll as I fell and caught the brunt of it on my collar bone and it just grazed the back of my head…. Ended up on tips of my fingers (good god that hurt)

All deserved, no excuses …. Nothing broken, but Probably going to lose a couple of finger nails….. but am lucky to be typing this

Back in shop today to continue …..

Safety first boys and girls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Egads man, that sounds serious. I wish I could hang in the shop today but I feel like I was hit by a bus ( or maybe a steel 4x4) from the Phizer shot. Count your lucky stars you're not worse today, you need those fingers man. My fingers hurt reading about your mishap.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
We came close twice to buying just outside of Grand Forks. Very nice area. (and their pulp mull there is very clean! You cannot smell it when it is in operation...

You are right it doesn't smell and its in the heart of the town when I was last there it was on the down and everybody was laid off at the mill but the town seemed to still to be ok maybe not as reliant on the mill as in past, my father in law worked for bc tel and I would go with him on calls sometimes between Christina Lake(beautiful golf course) Greenwood Midway through the kettle valley in to Rock Creek great country and great folks very laid back and I believe they told me that Christina Lake is the coldest tree lined lake in the world or N.A definitely a beautiful shade of green.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Not sever at all, a bit of an itch for an hour or so. The strange thing about them is that they mostly only appear in the morning within 1/2 hr of getting up and disappear by noon. They have been diminishing in volume & size since about the fourth day....today only 3 0r 4 small ones the size of a dime.
Have had much worse from swimming in an Algae infested local slough hole when I was a kid.