• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Workshop Organization- things that have made a difference for you

Tips/Techniques

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That said, I flat out refuse to use labels. Personally that would be an admission of...I dunno...weakness, maybe?

I think you have just explained my fears on this. I've been slowly aiming at an index chart, but have flat out resisted any labelling. I didn't even know why till your post. I think you nailed it. I refuse to admit any weakness. None. Nada. Niento.

I'm still to this day looking for a solution other than building another garage
Whatcha got against extra space? If you don't have more walls, what are you going to lean stuff on? Hang things from? Store next weeks buys?
I think that we should take a vote on this. I say build a new shop.... Anybody going to second the motion?:rolleyes:
.....and that is as deep as I have ever dipped my toes in the political pool.....:p

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
I'm looking to buy a 24 ft car hauler this spring to get some of the stuff out of the garage . I'm suppose to be getting rid of a lot , but can't get to it at this point . I have to move 2 more Kennedy sets in this week but no room at the inn yet . Working on it now . :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmm, I thought it would be "the hairy guy"

Oddly, I lived with that all my life, but I don't get that around the farm. They have other nick names for me. My wife's favorite is the old guy with the 40 yr old gold digger. Lots of other nicknames too. Santa Claus, The Professor, Father Earth, Mountain Man, Jeremiah, and even Moses. But for some unknown reason, Susquatch never survived the move to the farm. No idea why not. My old friends still call me that though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Whatcha got against extra space? If you don't have more walls, what are you going to lean stuff on? Hang things from? Store next weeks buys?
I think that we should take a vote on this. I say build a new shop.... Anybody going to second the motion?:rolleyes:
.....and that is as deep as I have ever dipped my toes in the political pool.....:p

I'll happily second that motion!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sure looks purdy, tho...

No it does not! It looks scary! I'd never find anything in that drawer. I'd have to add shrink fit colour collars to each tool so they jumped out at me! The way that drawer is packed, everything is camouflaged.

The best solution I ever saw was to put one of everything in each drawer. That way the screw driver stands out from the pliers the files, the sockets, the punches, etc. All your sizes are labelled on the drawer. 1/2 on this drawer, 9/16 on that one, 5/8 on the top right drawer. Amazing how well that works! :rolleyes:

fixerup

Super User
My hardware store under the stairs....
When I went to Slow-poke place to pick up the power feed he was selling, he kindly gave me a tour of his shop. I was really impressed of is set-up and how well organized it was. I was so proud to tell about my organization I did last week , I spent 30 + hrs sorting through about 6 five gallon pail of really well mix assortment of hardware and etc..... and binned them, but not label yet. He said that's great, now everything is accessible for when you need it, so true . Many times I would need 10 of the same screws and spend half an hour going through my mixed hardware to find out I only have 8 and can't finish what I am doing. He then open the door to his hardware store. Wow that's about fifteen times of what I had just organized. Yes it takes time to organize but in the end it's so much worth it. It great to have stuff but if it's just piled up, it's useless. 20240224_132012.jpg 20240224_120914.jpg

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hardware storage was always a big hurdle for me, but taking the time to build this was some time very well spent.

Never saw a big pinch bar with a hook on the end like yours. Did you bend that or get it like that?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Never saw a big pinch bar with a hook on the end like yours. Did you bend that or get it like that?
That was my grandfathers. Dad gave it to me when I moved here and said "here, you'll need this more than I will". He was right, it's been very handy, but I have no other info about it than that, as he'd been gone by then. I have seen others curved like this, and straight ones too. IMO the bent tip is much handier for levering machines around.

I've always wanted to build a Burke bar (search essential craftsman on your favourite video depository....:D). They look even better. Another project 42.....

Ironman

Ultra Member
We should sneak in when he is away and mix up all the screws and labels. Maybe rig the cabinet with a hi voltage zapper. That kind of organization should not be allowed to go unpunished.
Have you ever unwound the high voltage side of an ignition coil? You know that smaller than a human hair wire in there is litteraly invisible to the naked eye and is ideal for electrification purposes, tying one end to a fence charger and sitting back and watching a guy get a charge out of it. Back when lunch boxes were metal, it lent itself to some great events....;)