• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Workshop Organization- things that have made a difference for you

Tips/Techniques

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have a Dymo Rhino 5200 I bought cheap off market place. It will do a few sizes of labels, but also shrink tubing, which is why I bought it.

I have an older dymo (or brother? I can't remember) somewhere that plugs into the computer that I should toss up here for someone else if I can find it. I have not used it since getting the rhino.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Brother P-Touch PT2700. Value Village tends to have these cheap.

New Hermes GTX engraver

3018 cheapo CNC engraver with 5500mw laser module.

Attachments

• A0651C25-505F-41B0-AFCA-FA466D205212_converted.jpeg
    A0651C25-505F-41B0-AFCA-FA466D205212_converted.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6818.jpeg
    IMG_6818.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6819.jpeg
    IMG_6819.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 14

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Brother P-Touch PT2700. Value Village tends to have these cheap.

New Hermes GTX engraver

3018 cheapo CNC engraver with 5500mw laser module.

Those labels look AMAZING! Please tell us which Labeller did what. Even an organized chaos pro like me would like that. Nothing I hate worse than having to open 60 drawers to find the one drawer I need. It's no wonder I like to put stuff on surfaces where I can see it.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
The white labels are self-adhesive ones made by the Brother label maker. The green one was done on the 3018 cnc, using two-layer plastic sign stock. The red labels are done on the New Hermes engraver using the same type of plastic stock. I really love using the New Hermes, a whole new skill set to learn.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The white labels are self-adhesive ones made by the Brother label maker. The green one was done on the 3018 cnc, using two-layer plastic sign stock. The red labels are done on the New Hermes engraver using the same type of plastic stock. I really love using the New Hermes, a whole new skill set to learn.
Do you have a pic of the Hermes engraver?

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
It's a very timely subject for me. My shop is in crisis. I'm considering a huge revamp of everything. Even parting with all of it is not off the table. I'm currently in yet another post surgery recovery phase so have a lot of time to think about it. So far I've concluded that the organizational chaos in my shop can be attributed to the following things.

1/ Projects take too long to finish and consequently parts and tools are left out for extended periods of time.

2/ Too many projects are on the go concurrently at the same time and associated parts and tools start to get piled on top of each other in the same limited work space.

3/ New tools are constantly being added to the space even tho there is no space there left to put them.

4/ My ambitions are bigger than my work space.

5/ Health issues are getting in the way
Get better soon Canadium.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
New Hermes pantograph engraver. Can engrave with carbide d-bit cutters or diamond bit. Picked it up from a key cutter/knick-knack shop that didn’t want to do engraving any more. Came with about a dozen sets of font tiles, complete setup to engrave cylinders and just about anything else. I’m into it for maybe $600 total, including picking up a second machine, scrounging the parts I wanted, selling a few bits on eBay, and then donating the extra machine to a random guy off Craigslist. The plastic labels were done using the d-bits, the fancy label with script is an anodized aluminum business card blank using a diamond bit.

0D0C617C-4F81-44C8-81CA-C54E28B39B33_converted.jpeg

Attachments

• F0A11E48-E7F4-45A3-A632-5B70825B9C21_converted.jpeg
    F0A11E48-E7F4-45A3-A632-5B70825B9C21_converted.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 89EC5460-EB74-49AF-A0D8-209656C8F3DD_converted.jpeg
    89EC5460-EB74-49AF-A0D8-209656C8F3DD_converted.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 6E091036-7D38-40D6-B858-C8009230864F_converted.jpeg
    6E091036-7D38-40D6-B858-C8009230864F_converted.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 32BFDDFC-0E34-48BD-98E4-D641C28E1597_converted.jpeg
    32BFDDFC-0E34-48BD-98E4-D641C28E1597_converted.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 11
  • E9224AE1-672E-43B6-9393-F40341E710D2_converted.jpeg
    E9224AE1-672E-43B6-9393-F40341E710D2_converted.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 10
  • EE941B44-1993-4044-9DCC-2CDEF2F40EFF_converted.jpeg
    EE941B44-1993-4044-9DCC-2CDEF2F40EFF_converted.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 13
  • C8ACF8C7-A580-4AE7-AFC0-E48DC72AA532_converted.jpeg
    C8ACF8C7-A580-4AE7-AFC0-E48DC72AA532_converted.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 12

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
True but if I was organized I’d be having a beer by now .

That's a wives tale proliferated by those afflicted with the disorder and only appears to work for them because they don't include the time spent organizing in their overall analysis of productivity.

The steelcase studies I saw showed that both pilers and filers are equally productive as long as you don't try to force either one to be the other. They also showed that the worst bosses were filers who didn't like pilers, and that pilers tended to be more creative while filers tended to be more predictable and usually kept better hours. It was an amazing eye opener for me and made me appreciate the differences between different kinds of people in ways I never would have expected. The steelcase rule was to let people be who they are and reap the benefits.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Actually thanks to my doctors, my surgeons, and to modern medicine, my health status today is more promising than it has been for several years! I am dam lucky I am a Canadian and have access to good health care! Thanks to everyone for your get well wishes!
There isn't a big enough thums up icon for that one so I had to express that in words "Thumbs up, Amen brother!"

jgimp69

-A place for everything
-Clean up after every job. It doesn’t take long for crap to start piling up.
-Years ago I made a 10 shelf shelving unit for akro bins for all my hardware, fitting, bearings etc. It cleans up clutter and being only 12” deep (6’ tall x 7’ wide) doesn’t take up a ton of floor space. Keeping this organized and tidy makes a world of difference.
-Uncommon stuff goes into bigger tires on shelves that are up on the wall higher up and labelled.
-Common machine tools, arbors, collets, sine vise, grinding vise etc are on a 3 shelf unit with doors that drop down to cover them, easily accessible and clean. My cutting fluids, dykem, tapping fluid, drill indexes, c/sinks, c/bores etc sit on top and easy to access and measure with good lighting there to read sizes.
-Cutters, taps, indexable tooling etc, I have in my rolling machinist box I can move from lathe to mill to surface grinder.
-I have a separate box for all my mechanics tools. The layout in each drawer is the same as it was 23 years ago when I was an apprentice, just nicer tools . I know I’m not alone knowing where every single tool is in that thing and could verbally cite it like out like it’s the bible.
-I just finished a heavy workbench that I use for my grinder and belt sander. When I built it, I maximized its usage by enabling me to store all my power tools on the middle a shelf and my bronze/brass/aluminum/stainless stock on the lower shelf to maximize the weight to the bench and minimize vibrations when grinding. It turned out great with exception of the top being 1” too shallow so doesn’t quite sit against the wall, no biggie though.

Above is what I try to maintain, that’s the tough part sometimes. There are a few projects in the planning stage,

-4’ x 20’ enclosed lean too off the back of my shop. Access from inside the shop so I can put my parts rack, engine hoist/stand, assorted steel, tires etc in it. Cleans up my shop and gives me some extra floor space while having easy access to it when I need it.
-Small jib cranes/cable hoists above my lathe and mill. Nothing huge, 500 pounds maybe.d A buldged disc, torn disc as well as bad knees has definitely taken its toll. Work smarter, not harder.
-Proper dust collection system plumbed to each machine (sandblaster/mill/lathe/grinder). Over the years of inhaling coolants and oils, I get headaches from something as simple as a little spray paint and I still have a terrible sense of smell because of it. Having a nice system setup for evacuating that through a filter outside would be sweet.
Funny story, my sense of smell is so bad that when my house/furnace had an oil leak for an entire summer (poor installation of a new tank/line), I couldn’t smell it. God bless insurance, well worth the money.

The biggest point is trying to maintain a clean shop. Clean as you go. Keep often used tools/items easily accessible and clean. Keep once a year stuff tucked out of the way and labelled if in a tote. Clean often. Sweep the floor after each job.
Do something productive in the shop each day if you can. If you have nothing to build, tidy up or maybe sketch a project or idea thats been floating around the old noggin’. Shop work is therapeutic to me regardless of what I’m doing. It’s gotten me through some pretty rough times so I try to treat my shop the way it should be.

jgimp69

I feel your situation.
As I’m hoisting the 8” chucks onto my new lathe I’m thinking to myself “these are pretty heavy, best think of a plan for the future”
I hope your health improves mate.
Barn track and cable hoist maybe? Most trusses should easily take most hobby sized lathe chucks. Track is cheap and princess auto puts those small cable hoists on sale on a regular basis. I would definitely limit the weight to a few hundred pounds but have seen guys pick up complete engines with this setup.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
-A place for everything
-Clean up after every job. It doesn’t take long for crap to start piling up.

Consider completing my survey about your shop.

Thread 'Is your shop messy or spotless?' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/is-your-shop-messy-or-spotless.6305/

You will discover that we are not all the same. Some of us are quite happy in a shop that others would consider messy and some of us are happier in a shop that others might think was too neat to do any real work.

One is not better than the other. We are just different in how we look at it. As they say, each to his own.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Consider completing my survey about your shop.
My personality doesn’t really fit my shop. I think I tend towards messy, but since my shop is in the basement I clean often which is much easier to do if I’ve tidied up.

As a teenager, I used to work in my Stepfathers metal fabrication/radiator repair shop over school holidays. The dirt never bothered me, but I did spend time cleaning benches so you could actually see the wood and I’d sweep the floors so you could see concrete. Can’t recall if I was asked to do it or if I just did it.

I long for times like when I was a young adult and I filled up our 10’x8’ shed with about 6’ of wood shavings, dressing a board that had been rough cut with a chainsaw. I never dusted.

But now I’m older, I’m also finding I have to tidy up. My eyesight is not as good as it used to be and unless I’m looking at something directly I don’t see it if there is too much clutter.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Common machine tools, arbors, collets, sine vise, grinding vise etc are on a 3 shelf unit with doors that drop down to cover them, easily accessible and clean.
Could you post a photo of these?

Keep once a year stuff tucked out of the way and labelled
Nice. I fail at that and it’s frustrating.

Here’s a summary of the items posted:
?) Everything should have a permanent place.
?) Keep the bench/desk you’re working on clean and dump things on the nearby bench/desk that’s not being used.
?) How my shop feels is important, “frivolous“ things like decorations can make the space feel more like somewhere I want to be.
?) Minimize the use of storage where the front item has to be removed to get to the rear item.
?) Items routinely used at a machine should be stored at that machine if at all possible. Duplicate tools that are often required for that machine.
?) General use tools should be in the main area. Occasional use tools should be put in easy access storage.
?) Putting things on wheels generally only makes sense if that tool/bench/desk etc. has a permanent home and it’s only moved to get access to something behind it that’s not used very often.
?) Minimize items such as large tools, which must be moved to use them (In my case a bandsaw and chop saw).
?) Have a good material storage system that’s easy to get to. Perhaps put them in rolling carts that slide under benches etc.
?) Clean up at the end of each task, even it if means getting the same tool out again.
?) Routinely re-home items which have become a low return on investment (With respect to the cost to replace them of course).
?) Have a dirty and clean area.
?) Minimize the number of project being worked on. From the book by Charles Emerson Winchester the Third "Do one thing at a time, do it very well and then move on"
?) Don’t purchase things which are on sale unless they’re needed fairly soon.
?) Close doors and cupboards as soon as you’ve taken out/put back what you need.
?) Have a friend who always needs something that’s annoying you. Don’t ever try to find out if they’re just throwing things in the garbage or recycling.
?) Label everything.
?) Keep once a year stuff tucked out of the way and labelled.