• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Two little projects today.

1. Cutting down a box wrench so I have a dedicated QCTP adjuster.

2. Setting up the spare gear bracket so I have a "quick" change between my threading gear range and my turning/cutting gear range.

(I want another of those square head bolts that secures the gear bracket so I can use the same tool on both.)
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260805_225758823.jpg
    PXL_20260805_225758823.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20260805_234137976.jpg
    PXL_20260805_234137976.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
I guess I could hand grind the head (no mill or anything)

Or you could chuck an endmill in the lathe, put the bolt in the toolpost and use the lathe to "mill" four flats in the bolt head. Be even better if you had a boring bar holder the same diameter as the bolt threads. But you can also sleeve the boring bar holder to get the same result.
 
Or you could chuck an endmill in the lathe, put the bolt in the toolpost and use the lathe to "mill" four flats in the bolt head. Be even better if you had a boring bar holder the same diameter as the bolt threads. But you can also sleeve the boring bar holder to get the same result.
This, I have done, and it works well, I used a little level to make the 90° changes...... getting that first flat in the right place is the challenge. 🙄 😉 😛
 
Clever! I don't have an endmill though. I suspect the necessary tooling to do that right would end up costing more than a new bolt 😉

Of course it will! That's how it is supposed to work! Sooner or later you end up with enough endmills, to justify getting a mill and then a bigger mill. It's all part of the master plan to accumulate enough tools and machines to justify that big shop we all dream about! Gotta get it done before it's time to say goodbye!
 
Back
Top