• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Golem that’s the first ER32 1-1/2-8 chuck i’ve seen, i guess i don’t get out much, eh?
I have one in MT3 with draw bar for my ‘36 & ‘38 SB9’s, one MT2 also draw bar for my 6” RT, & an R-8 for the mill.
Have you tested it with a DTI for accuracy?, i’m curious as my MT3 ER32 on my SB9, is dead nuts on.
Your SB9 is a real looker!
 
20200228_211653.jpg
This is the er40 I made for and on my 10k out of a chunk of 4340, I just bought the nut. It was a great weekend project, it was my first internal thread as well as my first single pointed metric thread. Now that it's mounted on another lathe, I need to shorten its nose just a little and rebore the taper to bring it back to true.
 
I'm using the Beall er-32 chuck, but no I haven't tested the runout. I have a dial indicator but no way to mount it on this lathe yet 😛

More indicators, DTI, a micrometer, some mounts... What else do I need haha
 
I have a dial indicator but no way to mount it on this lathe yet 😛

More indicators, DTI, a micrometer, some mounts... What else do I need haha

If you have an indicator and just want a holder, the best bang for the buck in my opinion is a NOGA holder with the dual adjustments and a magnetic base. The base will attach to your tool post or cross slide or gearbox, or bed.


You can find them cheaper, but make sure they adjust at the indicator and at the base. If you are happy with just one adjustment, make it the one at the indicator and save $20 or so.

Also watch Facebook, marketplace, and Kijiji for "NOGA". You might be able to score one at 25% of retail.

Make sure the one I linked is big enough. They come with various arm lengths.

There are also lots of cheap copies available. I've not found anything as good for less.

If you want the best of the best, get a Fisso. I have one that I got 2 years ago on black Friday. It's an amazing holder but even on sale it was $$$.
 
If you have an indicator and just want a holder, the best bang for the buck in my opinion is a NOGA holder with the dual adjustments and a magnetic base. The base will attach to your tool post or cross slide or gearbox, or bed.

NOGA all the way.
 
I don't, but AXA mounted seems like a great idea!

It is a great idea. You need one like that too.

It can't do the same things as the noga I mentioned above but it's a terrific way to go if all you need is 90 degrees runout measurements. It won't do spindle tapers or top measurements.

You really need both.

And we haven't yet mentioned the need for a Dial Test Indicator too.
 
Back
Top