• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Probably need to crack this control box open. I can't get those collars threaded on at all (they came to me unscrewed)

I saw that in the previous photos. I wouldn't assume they were previously screwed on. The previous owner may have just abandoned trying to get them on. So it's possible that they may never have been installed properly.

Zooming in on your photo, the cable looks fat for the cap and it looks like there is a compression grommet under there too. It might be the wrong size for that fitting.
 
I saw that in the previous photos. I wouldn't assume they were previously screwed on. The previous owner may have just abandoned trying to get them on. So it's possible that they may never have been installed properly.

Zooming in on your photo, the cable looks fat for the cap and it looks like there is a compression grommet under there too. It might be the wrong size for that fitting.
Sooooo you're saying I should rewire it now...
 
That was largely in jest!

You can be as serious or as off the wall with me as you want.

I'm not recommending anything in particular. I'm just pointing out what I see. I'm not sure opening the box is gunna help you much.

Neither one of those connections are the way they should be. That's pretty obvious.

If it were mine, I'd start by unplugging it, and then I'd try to pull those caps back on the cable a bit so I could see why they won't screw down properly. If the grommet is too big, you might be able to cut some off the top of them without cutting the cable.
 
Back
Top