• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

You know I really considered that, but the wall in my available space was just not an option. Getting into a shallower table would have been so nice though.

But, carriage is done! Will work on making space and doing the math on rear drive placement.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251130_045746133.jpg
    PXL_20251130_045746133.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20251130_045753915.jpg
    PXL_20251130_045753915.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
A side benefit is that I can turn the lathe easily by hand but it is unguarded so it requires care and attention.
 
This is what the drive looks like on my sb9 (not built by me)

That looks very much like the drive system on my 1880s vintage FE Reed Lathe. Even to the boxy angle iron motor stand and overhead line drive system. I didn't make that for mine either. The guys who did that for our machines probably both subscribed to the same magazine and read the same article. There was no internet yet when my machine was converted.
 
Actually wall mounting as I did wasn't a good idea sound wise.

Screenshot_20251130_064119_Chrome.jpg

Be still my heart! OMG Don. That's drop dead gorgeous! First time I ever saw a drawer being used as a surface. I think you are my new hero!


Screenshot_20251130_063953_Chrome.jpg

So, what is the string for?

Screenshot_20251130_063848_Chrome.jpg

Had trouble finding the E-Stop eh.... LOL! Gotta be the biggest one I've ever seen!

Love your shop, looks like mine in the house minus the machines.

You think your drive system is loud upstairs, I can only imagine what it's like when your shaper is square dancing!
 
140 mower, i know what you mean about the wall mounted countershaft.
Many years ago i mounted my speed bag on our garage wall.
Trying it out i immediately heard my wife & 3 young daughters screaming PLEASE STOP!
It had turned the whole house into a boxing gym.
To be fair the neighbors could also hear it.
 
I reckon for the next step I should dry mount the drive assembly so I can calculate belt length.
I leaned my entire countershaft/motor ass'y forward about 4". It meant that I needed to get a new turnbuckle (a la Princess Auto), but it also gave me that much more space. I think I could have done that, plus moved the ass'y closer to the lathe a few inches for an easy gain of 6" or better.
 
A little more juggling things around this morning. Gotta grab some different mounting bolts for the motor and will need to get that in place and get a longer v belt. THEN I can figure out placement and drive belt length. Baby steps.
 
A little more juggling things around this morning. Gotta grab some different mounting bolts for the motor and will need to get that in place and get a longer v belt. THEN I can figure out placement and drive belt length. Baby steps.
A piece of 5/8 rope should give you the vee belt length, and your wife's sewing tape measure will get you the flat belt. Just be sure to make all your adjustable mounts etc. set to the middle so you have some adjustment either way......



......Now, quit making excuses and get us some chip pics.... 😛
 
A little hardware visit today and we have some drive assembly progress. Loosely bolted in place so I can calculate belt length before stripping it down for a more serious clean. Hoping this looks right - definitely kind of tight clearances.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251201_203507935.jpg
    PXL_20251201_203507935.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20251201_203513286.jpg
    PXL_20251201_203513286.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20251201_204826414.jpg
    PXL_20251201_204826414.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20251201_204830983.jpg
    PXL_20251201_204830983.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Back
Top