What’s your favourite saying- and what does it mean?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
my best boss always said “nothing good will come of this”, usually when I was suggesting some wild-ass solution to a problem

When I was an apprentice tool maker, coming in on a Saturday mornin' hung over along with jet lag from the twin paper rockets we'd make. I was told on occasion, " if your not part of the solution then your part of the problem".
I was never good with Die tryouts on a Saturday morning in an 800T press.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
“This has been a great opportunity for improvement”… normally said after something has gone wrong.

I would sometimes get stares of incomprehension when I used the expression “busier than a blue arsed fly”…
I was talking to a fellow from out east and he said that his expression is similar but adds further context “busier than a green arsed fly around a piece of shit” which is certainly easier to comprehend.
I get a chuckle that that the arses of the flies in Australia were blue, but in Canada they were green…

eotrfish

Super User
A few from my grandpa...

"spins like the button on a shithouse door"
"shaking like a cat shitting fish hooks"
"plugged up tighter than a bull's arse in fly time"

and my favourite from an old friend in the piney woods of east Texas

"it ain't braggin if you done it"

Last edited:

curmudgeon

(Steve)
"as straight as a dog's hind leg" - most frequently used by my dad to describe a line of fence posts I just finished driving in by hand

and one from your homeland, "mutton dressed as lamb" - used by a colleague at work to describe a particularly nasty client

"it's never easy" - a commiseration from our carpenter after an unexpected problem messes up the day

historicalarms

Ultra Member
“This has been a great opportunity for improvement”… normally said after something has gone wrong.

I would sometimes get stares of incomprehension when I used the expression “busier than a blue arsed fly”…
I was talking to a fellow from out east and he said that his expression is similar but adds further context “busier than a green arsed fly around a piece of shit” which is certainly easier to comprehend.
I get a chuckle that that the arses of the flies in Australia were blue, but in Canada they were green…
"busier than a four peckered wild cat" was a common conversation starter around the farm at seeding or harvest time.