• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What’s your favourite saying- and what does it mean?

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Now that I’ve been in Canada for 26 years (nearly half my life…), I’m having trouble knowing whether the saying I’ve just used is Canadian or Australian… Usually a blank stare is my first hint of it being non-Canadian…

I love sayings, and it’s hard to pick a favourite. But for the sake of this thread I’ll say it’s:

”All over the place like a mad dogs breakfast”- which means “busy” (I actually think it means “so busy that all I do is make a mess”)

Anyone else, or is this thread going to go down like a wrought iron hangglider?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have worked in Europe, Oceania, the US and across Canada.
To be Canadian means to share your style, experiences and dialect with the people you meet.
My wife always asks me how I can start conversations with strangers in the airport. I just tell her that a little communication puts people at ease and if you share some info with another person they will do the same with you.
Knowing a little about each other leads to more conversation.

Canadians like to talk and share experiences.

trlvn

Ultra Member
English is a hell of a language!

A You-tuber that I watch is from somewhere in the US north-east and he came out with an expression that I'd never heard before...

Catty-wumpus.

I think some people also say 'kitty-wumpus'.

It wasn't hard to figure out from the context but I actually replayed that bit of video just in case my audio had broken up at that point!

;)

Craig

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Jeeez, i haven't heard or used catty-wumpas in a long time, kind of along the same line as ass over tea kettle

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In the theme of your first post........

Busy as ants on a hot chocolate bar.

Keep your panties on there hot stuff.

FO. I'm too busy drowning right now.

If you want to help then shut up and get your hands dirty. Otherwise get lost.

Those that can do, the rest teach.

Never let what you can't do get in the way of doing what you can. (I bet I've used that one on here before).

Nuff for today. I have some sleeping to do.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
In the theme of your first post........

Busy as ants on a hot chocolate bar.

Keep your panties on there hot stuff.

FO. I'm too busy drowning right now.

If you want to help then shut up and get your hands dirty. Otherwise get lost.

Those that can do, the rest teach.

Never let what you can't do get in the way of doing what you can. (I bet I've used that one on here before).

Nuff for today. I have some sleeping to do.
you missed the extension to “those that can do, the rest teach” .

Those that can do, those that can’t teach, those that can’t teach teach PE

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Everyone will tell you the right way. And they are all different.

It has been a go-to phrase when someone tells me something like it is the only thing to do...

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I have a habit of saying "put-r-ther" , so bad that I had to get the plate to match :rolleyes:

Attachments

• g8.jpg
    g8.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
My wife says at times... well quite often haha. " I've had just about anuf of you today...
So I had to get her a plate as well;)
Oh, and she's parked in my spot!!

Attachments

• red g8.jpg
    red g8.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: