• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What’s your favourite saying- and what does it mean?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
my best boss always said “nothing good will come of this”, usually when I was suggesting some wild-ass solution to a problem

When I was an apprentice tool maker, coming in on a Saturday mornin' hung over along with jet lag from the twin paper rockets we'd make. I was told on occasion, " if your not part of the solution then your part of the problem".
I was never good with Die tryouts on a Saturday morning in an 800T press.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
“This has been a great opportunity for improvement”… normally said after something has gone wrong.

I would sometimes get stares of incomprehension when I used the expression “busier than a blue arsed fly”…
I was talking to a fellow from out east and he said that his expression is similar but adds further context “busier than a green arsed fly around a piece of shit” which is certainly easier to comprehend.
I get a chuckle that that the arses of the flies in Australia were blue, but in Canada they were green…

eotrfish

Super User
A few from my grandpa...

"spins like the button on a shithouse door"
"shaking like a cat shitting fish hooks"
"plugged up tighter than a bull's arse in fly time"

and my favourite from an old friend in the piney woods of east Texas

"it ain't braggin if you done it"

Last edited:

curmudgeon

(Steve)
"as straight as a dog's hind leg" - most frequently used by my dad to describe a line of fence posts I just finished driving in by hand

and one from your homeland, "mutton dressed as lamb" - used by a colleague at work to describe a particularly nasty client

"it's never easy" - a commiseration from our carpenter after an unexpected problem messes up the day

historicalarms

Ultra Member
“This has been a great opportunity for improvement”… normally said after something has gone wrong.

I would sometimes get stares of incomprehension when I used the expression “busier than a blue arsed fly”…
I was talking to a fellow from out east and he said that his expression is similar but adds further context “busier than a green arsed fly around a piece of shit” which is certainly easier to comprehend.
I get a chuckle that that the arses of the flies in Australia were blue, but in Canada they were green…
"busier than a four peckered wild cat" was a common conversation starter around the farm at seeding or harvest time.