• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What’s your favourite saying- and what does it mean?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a habit of saying "put-r-ther" , so bad that I had to get the plate to match :rolleyes:
That's hilarious on sooooo many levels! Your plate says Putrther, but the plate in your avatar says "ANUFSAID". Who has two personal plates? What would the police say if they pulled you over?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Well, after several speeding tickets, a couple cops have said... I need a plate that says slow down, but, my reply always is.. I can only pick 8 letters.
The "ANUFSAID" just goes out to a few car shows, ice cream and the odd drive in.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

What’s your favourite saying?????:confused::confused:

That's not the assignment I thought we were given....

Even the OP gave several. For whatever reason, I thought it was Popular Canadian Sayings.

If "Yes Dear" isn't a Popular Canadian Saying in your house, then I'll pay you to give me private lessons..... ;)

Now that I’ve been in Canada for 26 years (nearly half my life…), I’m having trouble knowing whether the saying I’ve just used is Canadian or Australian… Usually a blank stare is my first hint of it being non-Canadian…

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I find myself doing something particularly stupid, I say to myself " and the coroner's report said....." It's often enough for me to reconsider. :rolleyes:
Oh man I like that one and unfortunately find it appropriate for myself sometimes.
I've been been wanting to start a thread " Stupid thing I did" but haven't had the guts to cuz I know I would have to show some of my true colors too.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
there's more than one way to skin a cat....i use it to try to remind myself and others to be open minded, just because you have been doing it one way for years doesn't mean its the best or only way

and

Vámonos muchachos! ..... because its a more fun way of saying 'lets get the f outta here!' (usually at home time)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
there's more than one way to skin a cat....i use it to try to remind myself and others to be open minded, just because you have been doing it one way for years doesn't mean its the best or only way

and

Vámonos muchachos! ..... because its a more fun way of saying 'lets get the f outta here!' (usually at home time)
He hee I had to go and get google translate to show me how to pronunciate that and now I'm practicing.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Probably need to have a farm background to understand the inflection in this that I use often when coming in from a busy hour or two in the shop or yard... " Well Ma, Im like the old sow in the boar pen...I've had NUF NUF NUF"

I like to refer to myself and others of my generation as "Old Farts"

and if I'm vexed by someone I'm apt to reply with "What dy'a want already?"

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
there's more than one way to skin a cat....
An old guy I used to work with years ago had a variation of that....

"There's, more than one way to F*&K the cat. Stop f*&king the dog, get over here and just F*&K the cat".

Meaning, I don't care how you do it, just get it done. He was a real wordsmith.......I chuckle ever time I have a shitty job that I just have to put my head down and get done, and all I think is "just F*&k this cat and get it over with" lol.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
an old boss used to say "get r done" a lot.

A relative of Kevin Descelles says "What could possibly go wrong?!". I like that one.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
my best boss always said “nothing good will come of this”, usually when I was suggesting some wild-ass solution to a problem

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
A relative of Kevin Descelles says "What could possibly go wrong?!". I like that one.
The easiest way to answer that question, is to get after it, you usually find out pretty fast

The other side of that coin, is when old guys warn you of your impending stupidity, go ahead and do it anyway. Gives the old boys a good chuckle to know they was right, when you regale them tales of said stupidity going sideways