What's Paul up to?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
16869545922084113280672112514659.jpg
Shear mounted. Stable.

The only fly in the ointment is that the whole bench is 4" too tall for me. I'm going to have to take 4 or so inches off the legs and the only way I see to do it is slow-and-steady with an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel.
I'm going to sleep on it a few times before starting down that path.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The only fly in the ointment is that the whole bench is 4" too tall for me. I'm going to have to take 4 or so inches off the legs and the only way I see to do it is slow-and-steady with an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel.
I'm going to sleep on it a few times before starting down that path.

Put a 4" high wood platform in front of the bench to stand on.....

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
And my cheap VFD on the power hammer has died. Probably from trying to run a 2.2KW motor on a 2.2KW VFD. I've moved a cheap 4KW VFD onto it to keep running while I see if Vevor will honour their 1 year warrantee. They are quite responsive on their support email, though their first reflex was to offer me $20 to go away ;-). I can tell this will be one of those "negotiating with China" projects.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Yesterday was a barge day:
AIL4fc8j-BaeQdnUK2v3eHvod3ZwtgYK7cBdD-8TU-27RozODXCX_LW3u4TE9ZWmSdMSk2RtU6rHJrsHNQmC9DOOk5mNTF-97Ilg2lr1we8phpc_inpAbZIvYVUte7UIeLT4wQEmSvXrwfAINnrf4jzUR6Z0TronkDfeduFlZgVoYAqOhVDCVPy9gzUV7XatlYIpnm6-pbXZ9-XcPPcYi18g6Hy_w7VCcAOxlF-381XK4DWAjav35ixIdELFQcz7mZgIXggX6r2N0j_PDdy_A0tan69qZniaUHJfq6tCCC2ws7k2jkhiMYkN-puIasc85AZ0SpbMb1MjZINV9aTYASlXa_Hl7MIJIO0zgeb7C35l03mvF5XnCW_VVjpHkSvQCHmESWGbnRlR2cseXVJKKWAbY7ReJtu-NN6emsz-NVIu_05dXLly1uegSRTTrnhFSAyZEsT-frYjHUHfHF-UnUoMI6NaRlEEqH7TVPhhspnBN6bHIAXl5B_NGPsBna_YiiUSMS0OlYVQSr8ng4Ba-jyMQ0zT2DyWYPl9ysr11AVLZirGcHu-eZNfoKmHb658bNCwFeCJv3gQyD7zsznbf6FidDfkRDkV_gc-DdRUIeN9fbr129rXfGMOz5w7iyM8jWuTwr1XhrFUJVphTOgYT6pS4RP4ZfjJN5S-QEIMJKyy-w2OJ8ltITImige7hdGlJsSsDd7hAAalXAqBB17HEmkSx17ylC--M_4QRe9t4Ol0gURfNHmnh9fAKegkA8Olh7LHPG9IUb2riTyvY-tUkedwu2LbmKBqj9iKi2kO3hTXQEuCZU2bCF_P0_Uab6uMfPUdhydxDguLL57S25nQM-u-4lMWfAkKRCnP7repsSyIblYbB-Azvb_PbGdH_KrqL3mESqOdKALoeEchczbso7zH730=w772-h1025-s-no

This little unit is replacing the gas-guzzling F150 I have at the cabin. Electric, 1000lbs capacity dumper, 1500lbs towing capacity, 50km range on a 5 hour 15amp 110V charge. It also has a solar panel on top to reduce reliance on that plug-in. For our <10km/week typical usage we should be fine.
The forward hitch receiver was *really* useful getting the trailer onto the barge.

The second fun part is the trailer's load of goodies for the smithy.
AIL4fc-uIyqnQnbS6SJ2LpIZDEMASUMbUUD0KeyxLQrecmJIcLWVQEq0LSqW_Vz2eVsjQ6ZAyldD-Uc0rylQII60B3CXP64x5D-_YaQg3LHn7gkiBnqlfdLew5_Kjm30zr5a90WqzskoDg6Gzl6H2cO06Jt-c9QFbimoeUe7HsdO7iXaLecFTJXtohbawxaS1Z__8bCn5R6Ys45MecexsDlUud3-pfFsnxxqGtYE-4LAaIxr3pNJsLh4-CN5FGTMAp1nG6dZ6U8Sn8-4VFOvnyadoVFwho7Y7KKOTVFfB3aPwLf37-rxZY9ZJBMWXEJ6Mk79GUXTYuTiSr-gS-ma6SM-7zlwrpJJhYH8eDupPsHo6Gq8mFIVsSg6gXstKNJSPBi3oCC_cjWA_cTmnT73JgBZcmlrXzPwplt2hFhKMdCLJdm3_B9mi_VB5N-5RdU-_0s_Pej-VAnIx340JB7786i858UOKYI3-9VOrLTsuzIJt5sdZy9ds_LtfDeG-8TkUA-iFxx0qSAAt6XO7Pnyz4EOe2th_eXslbapyCSaF1JHIWXD_r-cMSgsDlXeaTu11XeUzhy49VxaMj2JlXZdJ45GL5k5clcCeAh-L3WNKo2PwVJiu__AIfZBkTL9NqFDcITZPQ_6WlS5YhZjl9ebyO6ara2ImU7M9_60Jey_7VmSnladWHLgGRbBJGefP4SjH_qARcnn11IyLXYQQdvpKimTc_wdUJYyB2uEqrE9cQGvZd5-m3PiqwqC3KTnVXaIJla6BmQ98YTny6dzQ3LtisR-4cZu2M-CIg3tvEHFLMaQptkHdFYBKQ6aKhEUOU2VqRMQTZG0iumuVXvTEAdHIsIjQLX9MKz-0LiBK-TO73k_d6gBnLWiFBjJlPZ0drPmik39nIyRId6NmGr8Q6WNEos4-h0=w772-h1025-s-no

That's the drill press my grandfather gave me in 1991 before heading west. Behind it is a 1908 cabinet-maker's toolchest that came over with an acquaintance's great-grandfather after his apprentiship in Scotland. It hadn't been too raided over for tools when I got it, which set me up with a set of hollows and rounds, a full set of brace bits (spoon-style), plough plane, wooden clamps, wood taps and dies, and a few other goodies. Behind that is a friend's dis-used horizontal bandsaw - a Brico 4x6. Very much as crappy as the King I have in my city shop, but now I can cut stock here in the smithy as well.
And invisible is the last important piece - the new firepot from John Newman Pattern and Forge. It's a monster. Yes it shipped "loose" in a cardboard box. Yes, it arrived in exactly as many pieces as it left in.
1689189143731.png
And in case you wondered if these pots are durable:
1689189221557.png
Yes. It's at least 1 1/8"th thick everywhere I poked it. More like 1 3/16"ths. I expect it will see me out.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
make/model of the new ride
It's an NXT-WX2 by SC Carts in Kelowna. Manufactured here in BC, lithium battery (48V, don't ask me AH). Last year's model, of course. Second day in and it still seems like the right thing.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
That's a good looking unit. The front hitch makes parking the trailer so much easier. I made a bucket mount hitch for the tractor a rarely pull the trailer any more.
Oh, nice additions to the tool collection as well.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
That's a good looking unit. The front hitch makes parking the trailer so much easier. I made a bucket mount hitch for the tractor a rarely pull the trailer any more.
I am thinking of modifying my loader bucket to accept a ball. But I haven't started the actual reading/thinking.
So many projects.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Bucket Mount Hitch?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@YotaBota, @PaulL @jcdammeyer

Princess Auto sells a 2" hitch receiver that you can bolt to your bucket without welding plates. I drilled holes on the right, left, & center of my bucket to take it.

I use it for everything including my travel trailer. Guys like @Chicken lights & @140mower can prolly back a trailer into a spot with 1/4" clearance, but I can't. I need at least an inch LOL! Using a loader bucket is SOOOO easy. Well worth bolting on a receiver.

I keep in on a shelf and only bolt it on when needed. I don't even use a wrench. It's solid without because of the bending load.

No cranking on lift Jack's, just drive up, lift the bucket, and go.

I also have a three point hitch I use when I need to pull instead of push.

I'll take photos later today.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is another gizmo every guy with a loader tractor needs. Bolt-on chain hooks.

Robbor Grab Hook 5/16 in Bolt-on Grab Hook Grade 70 Forged Steel Tow Hook Work Well for Tractor Bucket, RV, UTV,Truck with Backer Plate and Hardware -2 PK https://a.co/d/awwi4ui

Lots of different options for such things. I put D-Ring plates on the back plate instead of a plain plate.

Just drill holes where you need them and move them as needed. I put two on the back of my bucket permanently. That's where the hydraulic leverage is highest and I seem to use hooks the most.