• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What size lathe do you have?

If you have a lathe, what size of swing is it? lathe?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ironman

Ultra Member
Years ago I took the gap out so I could bore the centre out on a 24" steering wheel. I never put it back in, my carriage overhangs the end of the ways by 2 inches when I am tight to the chuck.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Years ago I took the gap out so I could bore the centre out on a 24" steering wheel. I never put it back in, my carriage overhangs the end of the ways by 2 inches when I am tight to the chuck.

This would be ideal except......

I don't always have a regular chuck on my lathe. I quite often have one of the custom chucks I made for my lathe or a front spider on it. Sometimes I even use the MT5 taper without a chuck. Almost always, this is precision work so leaving the gap out or even replacing it without a full blown alignment simply wouldn't work for me.

Ya, my gap is NEVER coming out.

ThorstenD

Smithy 1220XL clone from House of Tools (dating myself here). Igaging easy view DRO. About to convert to DC treadmill motor based on dazecars.com projects.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Smithy 1220XL clone from House of Tools (dating myself here). Igaging easy view DRO. About to convert to DC treadmill motor based on dazecars.com projects.

You are in good company with @mbond and a group of personal friends of mine who also have combo machines.

That-Guy

Premium Member
Currently I've got a Standard Modern 2000 series with 13" swing. Been a great machine, rebuilt it a few years back. Was a high-school machine that must have had an issue very early on with the electrics that they never bothered to fix, as the bed is almost perfect, but to motor was smoked.

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So where in S Ontarrible are you?
Have you seen the notifications about our April 6 meetup hosted by Modern Tool? Hope you can come. While at the meetup you’d be interested to have a look at the 6 used Standard Modern (14x40) lathes that Modern Tool just acquired from a northern college. They plan to demo one of them at the meetup. I’ll be getting more info on them and posting it soon on the Forum Here’s a pic
40B10B20-6724-4036-B8A3-794B2B4AF145.jpeg
5EA4CA97-2971-4E00-B322-02F3359852C7.jpeg

ChazzC

In an effort to understand our membership we ask everyone to complete the survey above as well as the other one about mills that will be posted shortly.

Yes, there is lots of other equipment and maybe they should be surveyed too but let's start with these two.

You may select as many options as appropriate and you can change your vote anytime.
Started out with an 8x20 (or maybe 8-1/2?) Taiwanese back in the 90's, but needed space so sold that and my Mill-Drill around 2003. Once I was able to reclaim the space, I got a MicroMark/Microlux 7/16, and have since added a number of "improvements." Would like to get a 10" Bench Lathe, but money is always a constraint.

Clipper

Had a 10 in. Logan, sold that, bought an 11 in. Logan on legs and then found an 11 in. on a cabinet in SoCal for next to nothing.
One road trip and 4 years later I have an 11 in x 36 refurbed Logan on a cab and sold the #$%#$@ Peg Leg 11 in.

Martin w

Nice lathe. What am I seeing on top of the nearest part of the ways, just in front of the tailstock? Is it way protection?
Hi Colin, thanks.
yes they are aluminum flanges bolted to the carriage and way wipers. Keeps the chips away.
The one on the back, I had to tig weld back on. I was turning a 20-1/2” piece on my faceplate. I had clearance but not enough once I started taking a cut. It caught and broke it off..
Martin