What size lathe do you have?

If you have a lathe, what size of swing is it? lathe?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No mill
- Drill Press w X-Y Table
- Combination Lathe/Mill
- Round Column Bench Mill
- Square Column Bench Mill
- Way Column Bench Mill
- Bench Mill with Knee
- Floor Knee Mill
- Floor Horizontal Mill
- CNC - Please provide type in comments
My thoughts:
delete ‘way column mill’
Split ‘sq column mill’ into two categories: large and small. Let the responder decide what is large or small. To me, large is over 400 pounds.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Here is a draft of the next two surveys. Help me avoid getting crapped on for doing them wrong.....;)

What kind of mill do you have? Don't hesitate to provide more details in comments.
- No mill
- Drill Press w X-Y Table
- Combination Lathe/Mill
- Round Column Bench Mill
- Square Column Bench Mill
- Way Column Bench Mill
- Bench Mill with Knee
- Floor Knee Mill
- Floor Horizontal Mill
- CNC - Please provide type in comments

What Other Metal Working Machines do you have?
- Drill Press
- Shaper
- Metal Band Saw
- CNC Router
- Hydraulic Press
- Surface Grinder
- Welder
- Sheet metal brake
- Tool & Cutter Grinder
- Laser Cutter Engraver
Do we need a category for Benchtop Horizontal Mill?

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
- Drill Press
- Shaper
- Metal Band Saw
- CNC Router
- Hydraulic Press
- Surface Grinder
- Welder
- Sheet metal brake
- Tool & Cutter Grinder
- Laser Cutter Engraver
My thoughts:
CNC router sounds like a wood working tool.
Welder is good but add plasma cutter

The title ‘What other equipment do you have?’ This assumes the respondents already have both a lathe and a mill. Maybe that should be a question?

‘Laser cutter engraver’ belongs with a 3D printer- which doesn’t belong here either.

You still glad you started this??
Having fun yet??

mbond

Premium Member
i forgot to vote multiple times - somehow that seems unnatural, but for this kind of poll is essential?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
i forgot to vote multiple times - somehow that seems unnatural, but for this kind of poll is essential?

No problem. You can edit your choices.

Give how many members have multiple machines, I think it's important. It probably skews usage a bit but prolly does affect knowledge and relevance.

mbond

Premium Member
I'm not super enthused about this kind of conversation. I doubt anyone will worry about which machines I have or don't, but instead of promoting the knowledge or how to use them and how to use them better, a poll like this is simply enumeration of machines that exist

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not super enthused about this kind of conversation. I doubt anyone will worry about which machines I have or don't, but instead of promoting the knowledge or how to use them and how to use them better, a poll like this is simply enumeration of machines that exist

It isn't perfect, but I do hope it helps us know ourselves and gives more information than is obvious. One of the goals is to see how well we can address the need to help others. Have a look at the summary in post 26 of what we know so far.

Also, please don't feel like you are obliged to complete the poll. It is only catching active members and will miss a lot of folks. It isn't important that everyone participate.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes partly true. Sometimes I think sharing such info appeals to our desire to talk about ourselves/machines but it also gives us an opportunity to see what others use and might generate some discussion of use and knowledge of stated machines. Like any poll, it is voluntary and never perfectly accurate but they usually also open discussions of why the data is what it is.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
No John this is great a result. Given the results of the first lathe poll is so flat - which is odd - maybe we need another one with different categories. I suggest adding CNC lathe and both CNC commercial and CNC home brew. Another good one is the electronic lead screw ELS. Is there such a thing as a Electronic Mill Screw? a EMS? I've never heard of that. Perhaps break the lathe down into <9, 9 to 13, 14, and 15+, then there are 5 categories left for some more. Watch makers lathe. The CNC variations, ELS.... you see where I am going.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Simply reinstalling the gap so that it aligns with the rest of the bed would not fix that stress change and could even amplify it resulting in a spindle bed alignment
I guess it depends on how bad you need the gap to spin something. But in any case I can envision the simplest fix ever offered up on Canadian...just put a screw jack support under mid-span of the gap to the floor or chip tray i it is strong enough beforeyou remove the gap chunk.