What size lathe do you have?

If you have a lathe, what size of swing is it? lathe?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In an effort to understand our membership we ask everyone to complete the survey above as well as the other one about mills that will be posted shortly.

Yes, there is lots of other equipment and maybe they should be surveyed too but let's start with these two.

You may select as many options as appropriate and you can change your vote anytime.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Started out with a 7x12, then came across a sweet deal on the Emco v10p - 10x25 and sold the 7x12. The difference was night and day. Things snowballed from there.

Now i have:
Monarch 10ee - 12.5" swing (ongoing resto project)
Emco V13 - 13.5"
Standard Modern 1660 - swings around 17"

Lately I've been doing all my work on the 1660 and i've been thinking about selling the smaller lathes at some point, but probably won't. I have emotional attachment issues with machinery.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Alas, only one lathe at a time. In order:
Toyo ML210 3x8
Atlas 6x18
BB 16x19 combo lathe/mill
Grizzly 9x21 combo lathe/mill
BB 7x12
BB B2227 10x18 current machine
And when I’m spending my bosses money, so it kind of counts as my lathe:
Graziano SAG14
Dean Smith & Grace 18x48
Modern Tool C6241 16x40
Monarch 62 20x30

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
In an effort to understand our membership we ask everyone to complete the survey above as well as the other one about mills that will be posted shortly.
Thanks for posting this poll. Will you be able to separate the # of owners (i.e. number of members completing a response) from the # of machines when you analyze the data?

You could have made it even simpler, I suppose: "What's the weight of the lathe you use most often?" :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for posting this poll. Will you be able to separate the # of owners (i.e. number of members completing a response) from the # of machines when you analyze the data?

Yes. But not if they have 2 of the same size. I don't think it's a big deal. Never let perfection be the enemy of the good.

You could have made it even simpler, I suppose: "What's the weight of the lathe you use most often?" :)

In my experience, only about half know the weight of their machines. Even I would have to go and look it up. That's work I wouldn't want to impose on anyone. On the other hand, I think everyone with a lathe knows what it's swing is.

I thought of adding bed length, but I'm only allowed so many choices to put in the poll.

I'm pleased with the participation so far. There are some questions that have arisen like why is there no-one with no lathe? I know some of our members are in that camp. But on the whole, it's already very useful information. Thanks for prompting the idea.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
In my experience, only about half know the weight of their machines. Even I would have to go and look it up. That's work I wouldn't want to impose on anyone. On the other hand, I think everyone with a lathe knows what it's swing is.
It was a lighthearted suggestion. You wouldn't need a lot of categories: Under 100 lbs, 100-1000 lbs, 1000-2500 lbs, large. :)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I'm pleased with the participation so far. There are some questions that have arisen like why is there no-one with no lathe? I know some of our members are in that camp. But on the whole, it's already very useful information. Thanks for prompting the idea.
Why is there no-one with no lathe? Because the poll topic is “What size lathe do you have?”. Possibly more accurate question would be “Do you have a lathe, and what size is it?”

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Why is there no-one with no lathe? Because the poll topic is “What size lathe do you have?”. Possibly more accurate question would be “Do you have a lathe, and what size is it?”
Anyway, it will be interesting to see the results.
What information are we really trying to get?
"What size lathes do you have experience using, and feel competent to give advice about?"
"When you come to this forum, what sorts of machines, and problems/projects are you interested in talking about?"
etc..

I don't think that this forum can really be 'all things to all people'.
I check here most days and there's a pretty small group of participants who provide most of the content.
Nobody can expect those people to share knowledgeable advice on everything, no matter how willing they are to be helpful.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
First lathe was a "lathe-mill" combo that lasted 2 hrs before deciding it was a waste of cash.
upgraded to a 13-36 Taiwanese that I still have.
At the same time ,owned a 7-12 Mini for a while but sold it.
A buddy of mine,s dad passed and his mother wanted his lathe (10" Atlas) out of her garage so I offered a bit of floor space to him....that was almost 20 yrs ago & that lathe is still in my shop. I have run it a few times over the years but he has never spent a minute using the thing so it will stay there for me to use I guess until he decides what he wants to do with it.
Then, this summer an old 16 " Hendley lathe was brought home from a neighbors shop ...I needed that thing like a hole in the head but the alternative was that he was going to haul it to a metal recycler for scrp metal price and i just couldnt abide that happening.

A lot of lathe power accumulated by a guy that is an absolute hobbyist that has never had a formal training session of any kind.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Why is there no-one with no lathe? Because the poll topic is “What size lathe do you have?”. Possibly more accurate question would be “Do you have a lathe, and what size is it
I replied with ‘no lathe’
After that reply- the size question is kinda irrelevant

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I was kinda wondering why the percentage of replies adds up to 150%?
It's not entirely clear to me, either. I think if people have multiple lathes of different sizes, the percentages won't add to 100?
What do the percentages mean?
Right now the data shows me 57 voters with 84 'votes' with the percentages adding to 147.4%
The first line shows 13 votes for <9" lathes. So out of the 57 voters, 13 people said they have a <9" lathe. So that's 22.8% of the total number of voters that have a <9" lathe,
But quite a few of those voters have also lathe of a different size, so that results in building one of the other percentage numbers, too.
I need to give this a think...
Suppose 100 forum members voted, and every one of them had a <9" lathe AND a 14" lathe. Then there would be 100% in the <9" line and 100% in the 14" line. Then the conclusion would be that 100% of the members responding are small lathe owners and 100% of the members responding are large lathe owners - which would be accurate.
It gets confusing (to me! :) ) when it's a situation (as it is as I type) where "22.8% of members own small (<9") lathes and 124.6% of members own larger lathes.", or whatever...

Like @historicalarms, there may be a lot of members that have multiple lathes but almost always use just one of them.
So by asking about lathe ownership rather than usage, there will be lathes that have garnered 'votes' that are sitting idle.