What size lathe do you have?

If you have a lathe, what size of swing is it? lathe?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

historicalarms

Ultra Member
On a side note of curiosity Peter, have you ever had the gap block out and then back in? I had a asian 12x36 with a gap also but it had never been removed, I had read horrible things about getting it back in (never the same way ever again).
I have had my "gap" out and back in a couple times & I can see no "alignment issues" to the bed nor do I notice any discrepancies in cut size when the saddle goes over the bed join.
the first time I removed the bed I had to scrape/file the paint off the edges of the bed & gap section just to make sure there was no interference and it pulled back down onto the tapered pins perfectly as far as I can tell.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have had my "gap" out and back in a couple times & I can see no "alignment issues" to the bed nor do I notice any discrepancies in cut size when the saddle goes over the bed join.
the first time I removed the bed I had to scrape/file the paint off the edges of the bed & gap section just to make sure there was no interference and it pulled back down onto the tapered pins perfectly as far as I can tell.
Good to hear. I had read of accounts where owners figured the gap bed has gunk/dirt underneath it from the factory and was ground even with the lathe bed with that in. Once the gunk fell out gap alignment was very difficult. No personal experience with such, just "stories" I had read/heard about.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
About a 25 year old Chinese 13x40 with no brand name. I see similar lathes labelled as Grizzly and Enco. It came pretty well equipped with tooling and measuring instruments.
I’m interested in making bicycle and wheelchair parts. It seems reasonably rigid. Photo is of its arrival. I’m in the orange jacket.
I like the moving dollys.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Good to hear. I had read of accounts where owners figured the gap bed has gunk/dirt underneath it from the factory and was ground even with the lathe bed with that in. Once the gunk fell out gap alignment was very difficult. No personal experience with such, just "stories" I had read/heard about.
Its been a while but I can remeber thinking how clean mine was betweeh the steel, not even a trace of oxidation.
It is extremely easy to check realigment after re-assembly with an indicator. Just mount it out on a jib long enough so it indicates to the top of the bed 6 or 8 inches out in front of the saddle. With the indicator needle riding on the top of the lathe bed, start a few inches right of the bed gap join and slow move the saddle towards the headstock, if that needle jumps at the join or climbs/drops after the joint , you have a problem...just re-torqueing the hold down nuts will prob remedy any neddle swing. After doing the top of the lathe bed you can do a side check the same way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Once the gunk fell out gap alignment was very difficult. No personal experience with such, just "stories" I had read/heard about.

It is extremely easy to check realigment after re-assembly with an indicator.

I'm in that same camp as @DPittman. I've never done it, and I'm scared to. I think I covered that well enough above.

What I have not discussed is the extent of my fears. I don't think it's as simple as removing it and then putting it back where it was such that an indicator shows no misalignment of the ways. That may well be enough for most machining, but my needs include a lot of precision alignment of the spindle and the bed. Since the gap is right up next to the head and spindle, my concern is that removing it would significantly alter the structural stresses in the bed of the lathe which would result in a spindle to bed misalignment. Simply reinstalling the gap so that it aligns with the rest of the bed would not fix that stress change and could even amplify it resulting in a spindle bed alignment problem that might be difficult if not impossible to address without somehow altering the initial stress conditions. For example lifting the lathe from both ends while it is reinstalled, and the endless sequence of adjustments that might entail.

I spent a lot of time aligning my lathe and fine tuning it over the time I have had it. I wouldn't want to have to redo that to address a stress bias I caused by removing the gap. I'd be especially concerned about introducing a problem that might remove my ability to even do it at all. Maybe that is a little too paranoid or maybe it's not. I don't know. I'd also guess that two otherwise identical machines might perform differently in this regard.

I guess it all boils down to how you use your lathe and how willing you are to take those risks.

I'm not there yet.

Bandit

Super User
I see the percentages are staying very close to the same even as more people vote. Only one that's going to change much over time appears to be the "don't have a lathe" numbers.
Are you running a milling machine survey next?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Are you running a milling machine survey next?

I was planning to but it's a bit harder to figure out how to categorize them. There was enough flack over my choice of throw for lathes. What do I use for mills? HP, table size, weight, type, etc.

I sort of favour type - bench, floor, knee, bench knee, round column, column with ways, horizontal, combo w lathe, drill press & x-y table, etc. But I'm pretty sure the other ideas will come pouring down like hail stones on my head......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I sort of favour type - bench, floor, knee, bench knee, round column, column with ways, horizontal, combo w lathe, drill press & x-y table, etc. But I'm pretty sure the other ideas will come pouring down like hail stones on my head......
I like that differentiation. Knee, bench (gear or belt drive) round column, horizontal, shaper, and combination machine maybe?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I like that differentiation. Knee, bench (gear or belt drive) round column, horizontal, shaper, and combination machine maybe?

I had also thought about a third survey for other kinds of machines like shapers, band saws, cnc routers, surface grinders, hydraulic press, tool grinder, etc all without size. The trouble is that the list gets pretty big. That said, it also gets exotic.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I had also thought about a third survey for other kinds of machines like shapers, band saws, cnc routers, surface grinders, hydraulic press, tool grinder, etc all without size. The trouble is that the list gets pretty big. That said, it also gets exotic.
Let me ask a different question. Why the survey? After the feedback from the lathe survey would you change posting categories to have separate subject headings for small, medium, large, CNC lathes? And then what defines small? Under 9"? Or do we need a Sherline Lathe, Unimat Lathe, Homebuilt Lathe catagory.

It's a very deep rabbit hole with many side passages.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Let me ask a different question. Why the survey? After the feedback from the lathe survey would you change posting categories to have separate subject headings for small, medium, large, CNC lathes? And then what defines small? Under 9"? Or do we need a Sherline Lathe, Unimat Lathe, Homebuilt Lathe catagory.

It's a very deep rabbit hole with many side passages.

Yes, this is partly on my mind too. Why do it at all? And if we do, how big is the rabbit hole.

We did the lathe size survey partly to understand the lathe size distribution of our active members partly to answer a concern we developed about our ability to help new members with small lathes and partly because its been on my to do list for a while now. As @CWret said, we cannot say who we are till we know who we are.

The forum tools don't provide for sub categories just 10 choices.

The survey wasn't perfect. But we did learn a lot about who we are when it comes to lathes. We can certainly say with confidence that our active membership cover the bases from small to large. We also learned more than that as I outlined in post 21 above. Frankly, I was surprised by how much we learned.

I am encouraged by these learnings to do the same for mills despite the additional difficulty and the increased odds of catching heck for doing it wrong.

I also think it's important to note that 83 members participated in the survey. That suggests to me that the active membership seemed to enjoy doing the survey and chatting about it. I suspect we all have some interest in knowing who we are and perhaps more importantly what equipment the other members have. That alone made it worth doing.

That's my take anyway John.

I'm gunna do it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is a draft of the next two surveys. Help me avoid getting crapped on for doing them wrong.....;)

What kind of mill do you have? Don't hesitate to provide more details in comments.
- No mill
- Drill Press w X-Y Table
- Combination Lathe/Mill
- Round Column Bench Mill
- Square Column Bench Mill
- Way Column Bench Mill
- Bench Mill with Knee
- Floor Knee Mill
- Floor Horizontal Mill
- CNC - Please provide type in comments

What Other Metal Working Machines do you have?
- Drill Press
- Shaper
- Metal Band Saw
- CNC Router
- Hydraulic Press
- Surface Grinder
- Welder
- Sheet metal brake
- Tool & Cutter Grinder
- Laser Cutter Engraver

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Here is a draft of the next two surveys. Help me avoid getting crapped on for doing them wrong.....;)

What kind of mill do you have? Don't hesitate to provide more details in comments.
No mill
Drill Press w X-Y Table
Combination Lathe/Mill
Round Column Bench Mill
Square Column Bench Mill
Way Column Bench Mill
Bench Mill with Knee
Floor Knee Mill
Floor Horizontal Mill
CNC - Please provide type in comments

Drill Press
Shaper
Metal Band Saw
CNC Router
Hydraulic Press
Surface Grinder
Welder
Sheet metal brake
Tool & Cutter Grinder
Laser Cutter Engraver

What's a "Way Column Bench Mill"?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

No mill
Drill Press w X-Y Table
Combination Lathe/Mill
Round Column Bench Mill
Square Column Bench Mill
Way Column Bench Mill
Bench Mill with Knee
Floor Knee Mill
Floor Horizontal Mill
CNC - Please provide type in comments

Drill Press
Shaper
Metal Band Saw
CNC Router
Hydraulic Press
Surface Grinder
Welder
Sheet metal brake
Tool & Cutter Grinder
Laser Cutter Engraver

My square column bench mill has ways on the column.
What is a way column bench mill?

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I sort of favour type - bench, floor, knee, bench knee, round column, column with ways, horizontal, combo w lathe, drill press & x-y table, etc
You’re at 9 before the etc.
But this would give a good perspective.

As others have said “who cares”. I kinda agreed, who cares- let’s just enjoy the very Canadian forum eh! But maybe we should care? Or at least the Forum admin should.
Hopefully it’s not a rabbit hole that once entered is actually a labyrinth. Good luck!!

PS - Sorry- I posted this before i saw your list

Last edited: