What size lathe do you have?

If you have a lathe, what size of swing is it? lathe?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not to be picky, but even 'swing' is not always a consistent cross model comparison metric. My Taiwan 14x40 for example has removable bed gap. Its 20" swing...for a little bit LOL

@Degen brought this up in post 24. My response was as follows.

That's a good point. If I had thought of it, I would have specifically excluded gap ratings. On the other hand I doubt very many rated their lathe that way.

I've heard the same thing and have never had the courage to take mine out. In fact, I've deliberately told guys to find someone with a real lathe ;)when they asked me to do jobs for them that would require it.

Maybe I'll look for the fenner video and see what he considers back to snuff. There is a very very VERY slim chance that might change my mind.
I've heard the same thing about various machining tools, equipment and technique.

I was never as a formally trained machinist the but given with how little equipment I started with and things I've have read, done, shown and seen (seen is YouTube and it has filled in the minute gaps of information missed in the first 3), I have learned it all can be easily done, it just comes down to mind set, approach, patience (toughest one) and the need you have to do it with what you have.

And this is what makes the difference between someone that just metal worker and not a machinist (developing into a master machinist). It comes down to try, learn and solve, no and ifs or buts!

As a result, I consider myself blessed that I learned how to think and do before I got the vast array of tools and equipment I have now.

Raygers

Premium Member
I have a 7x Chinese lathe, my last steam engine build had a 6" flywheel and it was a challenge with my limited-size lathe and minimill.
I've been looking at other casting builds and some of them have 8" flywheels, another challenge that I'll embrace with gusto. I have 2 choices as regards the flywheel, machine on a rotary table, which I have yet to buy, not an ideal situation, or get the disc grinder out and give my lathe a non-replaceable bed gapo_O
Actually, there's a third way, lift the headstock and tailstock. I lied, there's a fourth way, go out and buy a larger lathe, but where's the challenge in that?

ColinB

Yes. But not if they have 2 of the same size. I don't think it's a big deal. Never let perfection be the enemy of the good.

In my experience, only about half know the weight of their machines. Even I would have to go and look it up. That's work I wouldn't want to impose on anyone. On the other hand, I think everyone with a lathe knows what it's swing is.

I thought of adding bed length, but I'm only allowed so many choices to put in the poll.

I'm pleased with the participation so far. There are some questions that have arisen like why is there no-one with no lathe? I know some of our members are in that camp. But on the whole, it's already very useful information. Thanks for prompting the idea.
I've done metalwork and had a variety of machinery and welders over the decades, but only bought my first lathe two months ago.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the Forum Colin from Burlington. We like pictures- how about starting with the new lathe. I’m very interested since i would like to add a lathe to my small work area.

Welcome to the Forum Colin from Burlington. We like pictures- how about starting with the new lathe. I’m very interested since i would like to add a lathe to my small work area.
Consider the largest dia you'll ever turn, add about 2-3", largest length add 6-8", largest Dia thru the spindle must have that. Finally how much space you can give up for the lathe. These are likely your biggest compromises in determining your needs.

Modern lathes have a smaller footprint than the older lathes allowing you to get a bigger lathe in the same area.

ColinB

What did you get Colin? Tell us about it and your plans for it.
About a 25 year old Chinese 13x40 with no brand name. I see similar lathes labelled as Grizzly and Enco. It came pretty well equipped with tooling and measuring instruments.
I’m interested in making bicycle and wheelchair parts. It seems reasonably rigid. Photo is of its arrival. I’m in the orange jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 43
I have a 7x Chinese lathe, my last steam engine build had a 6" flywheel and it was a challenge with my limited-size lathe and minimill.
I've been looking at other casting builds and some of them have 8" flywheels, another challenge that I'll embrace with gusto. I have 2 choices as regards the flywheel, machine on a rotary table, which I have yet to buy, not an ideal situation, or get the disc grinder out and give my lathe a non-replaceable bed gapo_O
Actually, there's a third way, lift the headstock and tailstock. I lied, there's a fourth way, go out and buy a larger lathe, but where's the challenge in that?
Fifth option flywheel mounted to the spindle on the mill cutter on the bed (vertical lathe).

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
There's a 5th way. Ask one of the many members here if you can use their lathe or if they will turn the casting for you.

BaitMaster

Super User
Consider the largest dia you'll ever turn, add about 2-3", largest length add 6-8", largest Dia thru the spindle must have that. Finally how much space you can give up for the lathe. These are likely your biggest compromises in determining your needs.

Modern lathes have a smaller footprint than the older lathes allowing you to get a bigger lathe in the same area.
My equation was more like what I wanted in all those parameters divided by what I could afford, multiplied by 1 over what was available within a couple hours of me

This is not necessarily true, if you are willing to put some work into it, the drive can be mounted above or below. Above is easiest. I know you love carbide and cnc, but there's still the odd one (maybe just one) of us that thinks that a lineshaft is just the bees knees......:cool:

This is not necessarily true, if you are willing to put some work into it, the drive can be mounted above or below. Above is easiest. I know you love carbide and cnc, but there's still the odd one (maybe just one) of us that thinks that a lineshaft is just the bees knees......:cool:
Remember I started with a Logan 200 that I had for over 30 years which was 10 x 24.

The one dimension that surprised me the most was the length, a 36" bed lathe footprint is almost the same as 24" bed, this is primarily based on the catch tray.

I'm not knocking the old tech, just commenting on best bang for buck, you want to go old school (personally I think it actual teaches more about machining than modern equipment as it relies on skill vs not machine abilities).

CNC milling, yes! CNC lathe, depending on application (I am considering it at some point maybe).

Carbide, milling, yes! Lathe, inserts for 90-95% of the work even on old lathes, HS for quick specialized cutters for limited run, there is nothing quicker, fast and more cost effective (other than CNC and a vast array of cutters in initial investment).

I appreciate the old equipment, but admit (as I get older) I now love the conveniences new modern machines offer.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
About a 25 year old Chinese 13x40 with no brand name. I see similar lathes labelled as Grizzly and Enco. It came pretty well equipped with tooling and measuring instruments.
I’m interested in making bicycle and wheelchair parts. It seems reasonably rigid. Photo is of its arrival. I’m in the orange jacket.
as far as I can tell from the photo, that is the exact lathe I have. It was a "House of Tools" (now long defunct) offering under their house name of "Force International".
I have had mine for going on 30 yrs and have only had the forward/reverse switch give me any problems and that was when the machine was 6 months old.