What Projects Are You Considering This Winter?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a very long bucket list of projects to do but currently at the top of the list I want to build a crane that can off load a 3000 lb vertical milling machine. I really want to get a milling machine and just passed up an outstanding deal because I didn't know how I could get it home. I already had one bad experience unloading something a lot lighter and don't want any more disasters. Was inspired by this one made of wood. Was wondering if using heavier 6X6 would make it strong enough?
https://www.popularmechanics.com/ho...antry-crane-to-move-your-heaviest-shop-tools/

Best advice suggestion ever - HIRE a picker crane truck with a flat bed. It's not very expensive. Couple hundred well spent dollars. Pick it up at one end, strap down on the truck, and put it down in front of your garage. Safe. Easy. Roll it in to your garage roman roller style on pipes or solid bar.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’m still waiting I just got out of the hospital after having my gallbladder removed before that it was stones cut out before that liver and kidneys shutting down which started the bladder removal then surgery canceled for covid now working on getting the breathing back not being able to lift over 10 lbs.
As I stare into the night!
IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I’m still waiting I just got out of the hospital after having my gallbladder removed before that it was stones cut out before that liver and kidneys shutting down which started the bladder removal then surgery canceled for covid now working on getting the breathing back not being able to lift over 10 lbs.
As I stare into the night!
IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!
Wow Tom. Sure hope things improve for you. I just lost the right to complain after reading your post.

Best of luck...hope you are back in the shop soon enjoying the hobby.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well they say I can lift 10 pounds so at least I can still pee!
Actually I’m doing good over here and no help from my son he broke both bones below the shin dislocating his foot in the process wait for it ............ Skateboarding! :rolleyes:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You are on GOOD drugs aren't you,,,:D. I'd have to be about 50 times worse than you to have a lift problem.
Wishing you and the kid all the best.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Actually I’m doing good over here and no help from my son he broke both bones below the shin dislocating his foot in the process wait for it ............ Skateboarding! :rolleyes:

Get well soon Bro, the kid as well! Skateboarding.... ya I agree:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Lol by the way the kid is 38. When I was about 38 I launched myself off a 6’ fence, well I guess you forget the tuck and roll timing as you get older giving me my first operation a anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.

:rolleyes:
I can totally commiserate. I had surgery for cancer exactly a year ago. Was very lucky I got it done before the pandemic hit. I'm doing pretty well now but the first few months after were torture. I was helping my wife recently with some gardening where there was some heavy lifting involved. She's a good trooper but eventually she said "me Jane you Tarzan". I scoffed and asked her " you know what happens to Tarzan when he gets old?" .... ... "he pees his pants every time he lifts something heavy!"

Hope the health picture gets better for you soon!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Best advice suggestion ever - HIRE a cherry picker crane truck with a flat bed. It's not very expensive. Couple hundred well spent dollars. Pick it up at one end, strap down on the truck, and put it down in front of your garage. Safe. Easy. Roll it in to your garage roman roller style on pipes or solid bar.
I heartily support this.
One of my biggest concerns about buying the surface grinder was moving the thing. I work alone 99.99% of the time and don't know anyone local who could help me move something that weighs nearly 2,000 lbs.
Hiring a picker truck took almost all of the stress out of the move. We picked up the grinder in the warehouse and set it down on a rented pallet jack. My driveway is gravel so I had plywood laid down. We moved it into the garage with little fuss.
The pallet jack was about 4 inches wider than the machine base so the most difficult part was blocking it up to remove the pallet jack.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I heartily support this.
One of my biggest concerns about buying the surface grinder was moving the thing. I work alone 99.99% of the time and don't know anyone local who could help me move something that weighs nearly 2,000 lbs.
Hiring a picker truck took almost all of the stress out of the move. We picked up the grinder in the warehouse and set it down on a rented pallet jack. My driveway is gravel so I had plywood laid down. We moved it into the garage with little fuss.
The pallet jack was about 4 inches wider than the machine base so the most difficult part was blocking it up to remove the pallet jack.
I'm with you David. I work alone 99.99% of the time as well. It's taught me a lot about patience, improvising, planning and knowing when to spend $$. I know there is free help available on this forum from many kind members, but that's not for everyone. I also remember having my 20" disk sander boomed in on a crane because it was too awkward for me to manage alone. As the guy drove away I remember thinking, "that's the best money I ever spent."

Bradells

(BRad)
Now that I’ve just sold everything ... and I mean everything! Everything looks like fun project from small Wobbler engines, co2 cars, random things.....

Sigh, I guess that’s the way it goes... time to drift off to YouTube and sketch out on sketchup!

Time to make a new plan for larger equipment (on the large ‘bench’ size) and tooling for down the road.

Brad

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Looks like I need to make some HD Traction Plates next. The City Recycling Truck got stuck in today's EOD (End of Driveway) snow dump. I offered my traction plates to him. I've seen military trucks use them effectively. The key is the words I used: "Go slowly."

How those two words got transposed into "Punch it" I don't know.

Anyways, here is the result...

1608675003128.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looks like I need to make some HD Traction Plates next. The City Recycling Truck got stuck in today's EOD (End of Driveway) snow dump. I offered my traction plates to him. I've seen military trucks use them effectively. The key is the words I used: "Go slowly."

You finished digging every one out now. That was quite the dump:eek:

Bradells

(BRad)

View attachment 12344

Ughhh, those contractors that the city uses are quite the characters ..... I ended up with the number of the Enmax/City area manager around my old place .... the Drivers were great at dumping the bins halfway down the laneway, dumping half the contents, or just failing to pickup altogether .... Best response was .. "Your laneway is on a slope, so if you fix that, we won't have that issue" ..... Right, me fix a City road .... ahahhahaha!

New place is street pickup ... as long as I remember to put out the bin when I wake up, I'm good

Brad

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
After cutting a few designs with my plasma table, my boss from the school I work at got me to cut a fire ring for him. We had it rolled, and I welded it to an old rim from a semi truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 10

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
After cutting a few designs with my plasma table, my boss from the school I work at got me to cut a fire ring for him. We had it rolled, and I welded it to an old rim from a semi truck.
Gonna drill some holes so it’s backlit somehow when the fire is lit?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
We were thinking of doing that, but the heat resistant paint that we used, doesn't resist direct contact with flames. It may still work if I drill smaller sized holes.